Advice about $600-800 Subwoofers

B

bybeeda

Audiophyte
Hello All,

I'm a retired musician and HT n00b looking for some purchasing advice on a new sub. I had a Polk PSW110 and the amp died on day 2. It's been sent back to Amazon hell. I just started my HT and it's pretty budget, except for my receiver. currently I have:

Polk Monitor 40's (front, Bi-amped) I don't know if this matters, but they are crossed over at 60hz right now and sound adequate.
Polk Monitor 30's (Rears)
Polk CS20 (Center)
Denon 3311ci

My budget is $600-650.
It's for a medium-large carpeted room 15Lx8Hx34W about 5000 cubic feet.
60% HT and 40% music (Dub-Step, Trance, Metal)

I'm looking to purchase in the next two weeks. I've done loads of research and looked through Nousaine, Craigsub and Ricci's Data and rankings. I want something that will hit low 20hz ish bass, but will be punchy and clean for my music. Here's what I've found so far that I'm liking, any feedback and experience would be greatly appreciated.

Elemental Designs

A3 - 300 Subwoofer $600.00

A5 - 350 Subwoofer $800.00

Outlaw Audio

LFM-1 EX 649.00 when they come back in stock 2/27

Rythmik Audio

FV12 $499.00

F12 $874.00

HSU Research

VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofer B-stock $530.00 shipped

SVS

PB12-NSD / $769.00

SB12-NSD / $649.00

Def. Tech.

SuperCube I $500 ebay

Paradigm

DSP-3400 $500 Ebay

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Of that list, I'd go with the Rythmik F-12 if music is the priority, except with a room that big you are probably going to need a ported sub like the LFM-1EX to fill that space on your budget. Pretty much most of what you mentioned are going to sound good, but probably fewer than half of them will adequately fill a large room.

Biamp = Sorry, but waste of time, especially on these speakers.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I'd go with the SVS PB12-NSD or Outlaw LFM-1 EX. Sealed will probably be a bit more accurate for music, but you noted that the ratio 60% HT and 40% music, hence my recommendation for the ported designs. Also, I don't know that the sealed SB12-NSD would pressurize the room; you could consult with SVS to find out, though. If you do end up leaning sealed, the SVS SB12-NSD or Rythmik F12 would be my choice.

Side note: if you're handy enough with wood, you could build your own subwoofer within your budget constraints and end up with a real winner.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
All good advice so far...

#1 Opt: DIY, build your own!! You could spend $800-$900 & have TWO subs that each perform as well as the PB-12NSD

#2 Opt: Rythmik FV-12

#3 Opt: PB-12NSD

I have a good friend that has a $400 budget. We are in the research phase of finding which driver/amp to get for his DIY project. If you or a friend can screw/glue an MDF box to spec then your best bet is to build your own. For instance, i found out that the driver in the PB-12NSD is the Peerless XXLS 12 ($249) the amp needed is $175. Thats if you want to use the near exact parts. But you can get equal performance from a $150 driver/$115 amp + MDF.

Since you have a large space to fill the only way to get great bass is either a single large sub or dual 12" subs. Your budget is kind of low at this point for a commercial sub to fill that space. If your willing to get a sub now & save for a second identical sub later then great. If you want to stay in your range & get dual subs right off the bat then building them yourself is my recommendation. Sub builds are actually easy if you have the little skills needed & a bit of time. They are really fun projects & its satisfying to claim the builds with friends :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi bybeeda,

The Elemental Designs A3-300 is basically discontinued as of yesterday. It's a good sub though, and it might be worth giving ED a call to see if they have any left in stock. The Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX is a terrific sub, but remember that shipping is going to be around an extra $100. Your room is just too big for a modestly powered sealed 12" sub so personally I would rule out the SVS SB12 and Rythmik F12 right away, unless you are willing to buy multiples. I think your room might even be a bit large for the Hsu VTF2, Rythmik FV12 and possibly the SVS PB12. Given your taste in music, I would try to get as much clean output as you can afford. The ED A5-350 seems like a good choice in that regard. The Outlaw LFM-1 EX would be good as well. You might also consider the Hsu VTF3 mk4, which is the same price as the Outlaw, but I think a bit better sub. If you really like to blaze your music like I do, I would save up a bit and look at the Epik Empire or Hsu VTF15h.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I just ran the room dimensions and only came up with 4080 cu. ft. That's a lot easier to work with than 5000 cu. ft. Did I calculate wrong?

Anyway, if it's closer to 4000 cu. ft. you should be okay with the Outlaw LFM-1 EX or SVS PB12-NSD.

U

Uncle_Big_Green

Audioholic Intern
I'm in the same, or at least similar, boat as the OP. My cave is 12' W x 7.5' H x 31' L. So, the entire space is under 3000 cf. It's my basement and is divided by the stairs at 15' from the wall where the TV and stereo are. The couch is along the stairway, so I sit about 12 ft. from everything. I'm looking at the SVS PB-12 NSD and the SB-12 NSD. I can't decide. It would be for both movies and music (60/40?). Right now, I have a stereo (preamp and amp), but will eventually get an AV receiver and more speakers.

Anyone's 2 cents is appreciated. Thanks. My tax refund is burning a hole in my pocket.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would get the Rythmik FV12 for $500.
Direct Servo is the way to go to get bass with Q=0.5.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
UBG:
Like already mentioned, dont waist your money on a sealed sub in that room size unless you are going to get multiples!!

That is a large room & a single PB-12NSD, will sound good but id look into the VTF-15H if you could swing an extra $150 or so. If you are totally set on getting one of the two SVS subs mentioned then by all means get the PB-12. Id even consider a second PB down the road. But you can at least grab one now & see if you want a second later.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
The Rythmik FV12 is a great option as well. I like the servo design & at $560 shipped its a great sub for sure!!!

Dual FV12 for $1120 would make for some great bass in your room!

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Dual ported 15"ers for under a grand sounds tempting!!...

Id love to hear feedback on that setup!!

To be honest, my only issue with CadenceSound is that i dont ever see any paid ads from them on audioholics but i keep seeing them trying to advertise in the threads. They keep posting for people to buy their subs without anything but a "hey buy our subs they sound good!" type of post. Almost every post of theirs tells the OP to get one because they are "on sale for $100 off"... If a product is ALWAYS on sale is it really on sale?...seems like a cheap marketing gimmick. Take it i havent personally heard one of their subs but their sales approach just rubs me the wrong way.

Enough on that!...

If i were the OP i would get a sub in the room so i could at least do a "bass crawl" & locate my best sub location/s. If i found that multiple spots could benefit me then id head in the multiples direction. However, some rooms really only have 1 location that is practical AND beneficial. In that case id get the biggest, baddest sub that i could afford.

K

KalaniP

Audiophyte
Of the options presented, I'd say the SVS SB12-NSD in a heartbeat.

The HSU VTF-15H is a tempting alternative, but out of your price range. But that's the only option I'd look at.

The Outlaw would be decent, and lower priced, but it's not as good as the SVS. Cheaper, yes... and arguably close... but not as good.

I concur that, especially with your taste in bass-heavy music, you want more punch than you're going to get with sealed subs in this price range, in a room as large as yours. PB12-NSD. And not just because I'm a highly satisfied owner in a similarly-large room, with similar tastes in music. ;)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Outlaw would be decent, and lower priced, but it's not as good as the SVS. Cheaper, yes... and arguably close... but not as good.
I would rather have the Outlaw than the PB12. It's not even arguably close, the Outlaw is a higher performing sub. Compare their measurements.

C

CadenceSound

Junior Audioholic
Dual ported 15"ers for under a grand sounds tempting!!...

Id love to hear feedback on that setup!!

To be honest, my only issue with CadenceSound is that i dont ever see any paid ads from them on audioholics but i keep seeing them trying to advertise in the threads. They keep posting for people to buy their subs without anything but a "hey buy our subs they sound good!" type of post. Almost every post of theirs tells the OP to get one because they are "on sale for $100 off"... If a product is ALWAYS on sale is it really on sale?...seems like a cheap marketing gimmick. Take it i havent personally heard one of their subs but their sales approach just rubs me the wrong way.
This sub is not "always" on sale. lol if you would try one you would understand why it is recommend. Dollar for dollar, they are tough to beat.

No marketing gimmick. We mainly sell online, so we like to let the forums know about a sub that falls into the scope of what they are looking for. No random posts are ever made.

We have been in the Audio world for a long time, especially in the subwoofer world. In short, the CSX MKII subs are tough to beat.

K

KalaniP

Audiophyte
I would rather have the Outlaw than the PB12. It's not even arguably close, the Outlaw is a higher performing sub. Compare their measurements.
The PB12 has a better limiter, flatter frequency response, and a 3.5dB advantage at 20Hz-25Hz, and it's also not quite as large. The Outlaw's advantage is it looks like it generally has a little more output, it has variable tuning where it can be set to go deeper or louder than the PB12, and it's cheaper. But the SVS would be my choice in a heartbeat, as it's simply far more refined.

SV Sound PB-12NSD Subwoofer Preview — Reviews and News from Audioholics

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
The PB12 has a better limiter, flatter frequency response, and a 3.5dB advantage at 20Hz-25Hz, and it's also not quite as large. The Outlaw's advantage is it looks like it generally has a little more output, it has variable tuning where it can be set to go deeper or louder than the PB12, and it's cheaper. But the SVS would be my choice in a heartbeat, as it's simply far more refined.

SV Sound PB-12NSD Subwoofer Preview — Reviews and News from Audioholics
You need to look at the numbers in the link Shady posted - what you linked to was just the preview, not the review. In the review, the actual testing showed the difference to be not so much at 20Hz. The SVS does have lower distortion and a flatter frequency response, but the Outlaw is more powerful at almost every other frequency tested. To be fair, the SVS is in a smaller box, and is more attractive (this is obviously my opinion).

K

KalaniP

Audiophyte
Ah, I see that now. You're right.

But I'd still choose the SVS for all the other reasons. There's more to a sub than raw output SPL, IMO, which is the only area the Outlaw wins (other than price).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis