Adjusting Levels after Running Audyssey

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Maybe a naive question, but is there any reason not to adjust levels manually after running Audyssey? As I mentioned a while back, checking levels with a Radio Shack meter, it seemed that speaker levels after I ran Audyssey were around 72 db give or take. Is there any reason not to adjust the trim levels so that everything is consistent at 75db? I assume not, but thought maybe there might be a specific reason Audyssey does what it does that I shouldn't be messing with.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe a naive question, but is there any reason not to adjust levels manually after running Audyssey? As I mentioned a while back, checking levels with a Radio Shack meter, it seemed that speaker levels after I ran Audyssey were around 72 db give or take. Is there any reason not to adjust the trim levels so that everything is consistent at 75db? I assume not, but thought maybe there might be a specific reason Audyssey does what it does that I shouldn't be messing with.
You assume correctly, it would make no difference whatsoever, you can have the same effect using the volume dial. So if you prefer to reach reference level at volume 0 or closer to 0 than it is now when watching THX movie or 75 dB using the test tone, go ahead and increase the trim level by 3 dB.

It may be possible that D+M has reduced the level on their more recent models by a couple dB, based on ASR's bench measurements. I can tell you my AVR-4308 and Marantz AV7005 both ended up close to 75 dB while my AVR-X4500H and Marantz AV8801 got about 71 dB and 72 dB respectively. There are also the tolerance issue, so no two system would be the same. Likewise, the Radio Shack meter also have tolerance, so again no two such meters would measure exactly the same.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis