Adjusting cabinet design

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I am thinking about having a seven er18s for my ht. The difficulty is that my room will be somewhat narrow so i was thinking about adjusting the design to go tight to the wall and have a trapezoid design. I realize that this will compromise sound quality, how much though. I am hoping to keep the speakers aesthetically similar but if it is a fool's errand....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am thinking about having a seven er18s for my ht. The difficulty is that my room will be somewhat narrow so i was thinking about adjusting the design to go tight to the wall and have a trapezoid design. I realize that this will compromise sound quality, how much though. I am hoping to keep the speakers aesthetically similar but if it is a fool's errand....
Not sure I follow you. But a Trapezoid design should be an improvement as the sides will not be parallel.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Essentially I am thinking about keeping all the height measurements the same, the volume the same, and put the port frontside. Same front baffle, 15 rear and 8" depth (interior measurements).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Essentially I am thinking about keeping all the height measurements the same, the volume the same, and put the port frontside. Same front baffle, 15 rear and 8" depth (interior measurements).
Would really help if you'd describe the entire project. You're trying to replicate another cabinet or design or ?

123Toid

123Toid

Audioholic Intern

The most important part of this is making sure the front baffle is the same width and the speaker placement is the same. If you change any of these, it will affect the designed crossover (ie time alignment, phase and or diffraction). So when doing the redesign, you'll want to consider those things. It definitely can be done.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Would really help if you'd describe the entire project. You're trying to replicate another cabinet or design or ?
I am thinking about using ER18 speakers for all 7 speakers in the 7.2.4 but I am concerned about the speakers coming into the room too much on the sides. Hence the trapezoid design tight to the wall.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I have read how studios generally have the front speakers in the wall, I could do that. It would be a 'fake' wall that would also be containing the sub(s) behind the screen.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I have read how studios generally have the front speakers in the wall, I could do that. It would be a 'fake' wall that would also be containing the sub(s) behind the screen.
In wall speakers are specially designed due to the wall acting as an extension of the baffle - you would need to redesign the low pass and BSC circuits, if not the whole crossover!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis