Adding an external power amplifier

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Is there a benefit to adding an external power amp, I'm thinking of adding one to my Yamaha RX-A2A AVR.
Will be used for 2 channel stereo. The Yamaha is 100w, will adding a 150 or higher amp result in cleaner sound or just add the ability of driving the front speakers louder? Speakers are Def Tech Studio Monitor 65, rated from 20 to 300 watts. Am looking at the OSD XMP300 amp 150 watts.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Is there a benefit to adding an external power amp, I'm thinking of adding one to my Yamaha RX-A2A AVR.
Will be used for 2 channel stereo. The Yamaha is 100w, will adding a 150 or higher amp result in cleaner sound or just add the ability of driving the front speakers louder? Speakers are Def Tech Studio Monitor 65, rated from 20 to 300 watts. Am looking at the OSD XMP300 amp 150 watts.
You would to at least double the power to have a noticable difference in output. Depending on your speakers, you may not need a power amp. Typically we use very little "watts", 1 or 2 at normal listening levels,, depending on how much headroom you need. Spl calculator is an easy place to start.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
How loud does it need to be? If it doesn't need to be loud, you don't need more power. If you do, you'll need a significant increase in output power or it won't make much difference.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not that you need to add an amp, but if you’re thinking about adding an amp, make sure you’re not adding something that is lesser quality than your Yamaha.

Just because something is “separates” (like external amps) doesn’t mean it’s good quality.

So for most cases, you’re better off just using your Yamaha by itself.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not that you need to add an amp, but if you’re thinking about adding an amp, make sure you’re not adding something that is lesser quality than your Yamaha.

Just because something is “separates” (like external amps) doesn’t mean it’s good quality.

So for most cases, you’re better off just using your Yamaha by itself.
What are the metrics for this "better quality" in amplification than the Yamaha receiver?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This is a hard question to answer. Your equipment does not have very meaningful specs. Your speakers are nominal 8 ohms. However, a review found them to be 3.1 ohms at 200 Hz. There is no way an MTM design is going to be 8 ohms if it has proper BSC compensation.

The specs on your receiver are sparse. It apparently delivers 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms 2 channels driven. So that tells you its stereo spec, into 8 ohm speakers partially, but tells you only a fraction of what you need to know.

I suspect, that if you are an external amp for your stereo listening it is quite likely to extend the life of your receiver. However the amp you posted about, is probably a pretty rough and ready affair, and not likely to be a reliable high quality unit.

It is this sort of practice that makes it impossible to easily put together good and especially reliable systems. This is just the sort of thing that leads to far too much disappointment, especially failures and makes them disinclined to continue making purchases of AV equipment except sound bars a TV and may be a cheap small sub.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Basically I say don't bother with the amp for your goals. If you're not experiencing some sort of issues caused by lack of power I'd just use what you have and listen to the music/movies rather than worry about your electronics. I'd rather change speakers for some sort of exploration of better audio quality/capabilities would be my approach. The difference with the amp you propose is minimal, not worth the time/expense....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What are the metrics for this "better quality" in amplification than the Yamaha receiver?
Reliability, built quality, measurements or lack of, brands.

OSD/Audio Source, Pyle, Behringer, and other "no-name" brands are what I consider cheap low-quality amps.

I would rather get a pro amp from Yamaha or Crown than these low quality brands.

There are other popular brands that I would call cheap amps that I would never use, but that's more personal preference. :D

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Reliability, built quality, measurements or lack of, brands.

OSD/Audio Source, Pyle, Behringer, and other "no-name" brands are what I consider cheap low-quality amps.

I would rather get a pro amp from Yamaha or Crown than these low quality brands.

There are other popular brands that I would call cheap amps that I would never use, but that's more personal preference. :D
I'd rather get a Amp with a nice big power supply than an Amp with a wimpy switching power supply. :D
personal preference.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'd rather get a Amp with a nice big power supply than an Amp with a wimpy switching power supply. :D
personal preference.
I prefer amps from ATI, Bryston, McIntosh, Yamaha, Denon, Marantz. :D

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
personal preference.
I just want the cleanest for my dollar, SMPS or not, but I do love not lifting 100# 2ch amps anymore :eek:

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
personal preference.
How about QSC Digital Cinema series amps? They use a switching power supply but have better specs than the Crown and Yamaha pro amps. Moreover, you can't kill them. This series of power amps is used in Cineplex theaters all across North America:
I am using three DCA 1222s to bi-amplify the 3 front channels in my HT system. If you don't sit closer than 8 feet from one, you shouldn't hear the cooling fan. @everettT has a DCA 1622 and I'm sure he likes it.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
How about QSC Digital Cinema series amps? They use a switching power supply but have better specs than the Crown and Yamaha pro amps. Moreover, you can't kill them. This series of power amps is used in Cineplex theaters all across North America:
I am using three DCA 1222s to bi-amplify the 3 front channels in my HT system. If you don't sit closer than 8 feet from one, you shouldn't hear the cooling fan. @everettT has a DCA 1622 and I'm sure he likes it.
Yup, still going strong driving my Song 3 Encores and I have yet to hear the fan at the MLP.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
I took a look at those QSC amps, Gobs of power! Just a note, was just poking fun at Class D Amp power supply. They've come a long way Class D amps. Your absolutely correct, can't kill them Class D amps. A friend of mine uses Crown amps with his professional D J setup. They sit in his U haul like trailer they get kicked around, abused, handled rough. I've witnessed first hand how much abuse they take. Things is he has 4 of them all over 7 years old.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I took a look at those QSC amps, Gobs of power! Just a note, was just poking fun at Class D Amp power supply. They've come a long way Class D amps. Your absolutely correct, can't kill them Class D amps. A friend of mine uses Crown amps with his professional D J setup. They sit in his U haul like trailer they get kicked around, abused, handled rough. I've witnessed first hand how much abuse they take. Things is he has 4 of them all over 7 years old.
Those DCA Series amps don't have a Class D output configuration. The DCA 1222 and the 1622 operate as Class AB, whereas the more powerful amps have a 2-tier Class H output circuitry. Some if not all of these amps were released in 1998 and their circuitry was never modified just as proof of good design.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Those DCA Series amps don't have a Class D output configuration. The DCA 1222 and the 1622 operate as Class AB, whereas the more powerful amps have a 2-tier Class H output circuitry. Some if not all of these amps were released in 1998 and their circuitry was never modified just as proof of good design.
You have some Serious wattage there! How'd you Integrated those into your system? I mean 1/4 jacks, what did you use or ran for speaker cables? I went back and took a longer look at those amps. Yeah I only saw two of those and they were in a theater. Brother of mine worked as a projectionist.
1714112407341.jpeg

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
personal preference.
My Crown XLS2500's can put out 1200W@2ohm per channel with both channels driven... It's wimpy switching power supply is putting out some serious current!
It has no trouble powering my Gallo Ref3.2's with minimum impedance at 1.6ohm... (mind you, I very very rarely use as much as 4W, and have never seen the 16W LED light up.... so they provide me with prodigious levels of headroom!)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis