T

TEWhite1

Hello,

I am going to build a speaker box for a single subwoofer. The subwoofer is 12". The speaker box is going to be 16x16x16. Is this is good size for the box? I was also planning on filling the box with insulation, is this a good idea? Thanks in advanced for your response!

T

TEWhite1

I was also wondering (if ya haven't already noticed, i'm pretty new to this stuff) how much better it will make the sub sound if I put it in a box.

Thanks

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
If you have the subs parameters (Vas, Qms, Fs, Qes, Qts, Xmax, SPL, God, Dam, Syz, Doz, Mat, Ter) you can find a couple of free calculations on the web. They will give you a correct size of the enclouser whether you are using an acoustic suspension or ported design

Last edited:
Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Some of those parameters I made up :rolleyes:

Last edited:
B

b727guru

Audiophyte
To piggyback on this question....
Can I install a stand-alone powered subwoofer into a wall cut-out?

Are there any downsides to this that I should consider?

I lack the space on the floor for the sub, but I have room behind a wall to make a cut-out and install a sub from the back of a wall into the family room. :confused:

annunaki

annunaki

TEWhite1, email me your subwoofer driver's parameters. I have an enclosure program on my computer. I can give you a few different enclosure options that your sub would do well in.

b727guru, what you are thinking of doing is fine, IF, you have already done some testing to be sure that the place for the cutout is the optimal placement for the room. Have you done any type of subwoofer place ment testing in the room? If not, I would be sceptical about pinning yourself down to one location.

T

TEWhite1

Enthusiast
Annunaki, I do not have the speaker parameters. All i know is that the sub is 12 inches wide; I do not even know who the manufacturer is. The sub was here when we bought the house. If ya want some pictures of the sub, just ask, and i'll post them.

annunaki

annunaki

That may help some. (pictures that is) However, it is difficult to get predictable response from a subwoofer without knowing its parameters. Since a sealed enclosure has the best allowance for errors, I would suggest starting with that. Start with an enclosure of about 2.25-2.5ft^3. Listen with familiar material, as well as testing frequency response levels with a handheld spl meter. Make sure to take notes and record spl levels at reference level (with pink noise). Use 20hz, 30hz, 40hz, 50hz, 60hz ect. up to your crossover point for levl testing at each frequency. If performance is less than desired, simply add blocks of wood, or of a similar material (making sure to secure them insinde the enclosure), equal to about .25ft^3 in .25ft^3 increments repeating your listening and level testing each time. Once you find the "sweet spot" or should I say size, rebuild a nice well braced enclosure at that size.

Note: Make sure to find proper placement of the sub in room before any listening and enclosure tests.

B

b727guru

Audiophyte
Well no, I haven't made a test to make sure this is the best place for it.

Unfortunately, this is the only wall I have that I can do a "cutout" to and install the sub. Maybe I can move the sub back and forth along the wall and decide where on this wall to cut the hole.

On the other hand, I thought that sub placement was inmaterial since low frequencies are non-directional. Maybe I'm missing something, this is all new to me.

What should I look for in sub placement?

Thanks in advance,
Guru :confused:

T

TEWhite1

Enthusiast

Found no markings except the numbers that you can see on the last picture. If the numbers means something, tell me, and i'll take a closer pic of them.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

ewwwww

hahahahaha fp...
buddy, that is one discusting sub, you would be better spending 150 bucks on a crappy caraudio sub boxed and an amp. it maybe as boomy as a mother trucker but atleast it will work.

pS. test that thing to see if it even works!

T

TEWhite1

Enthusiast
LOL, i did, and i have to say, it works pretty good and definatly responds to the really low stuff, you cant really hear it, I'm guessing because it's not in a box. But if you put your ear close to it when it plays the low stuff, then you can hear it, and it doesn't really sound that bad. But I know what you mean by ugly.

annunaki

annunaki

b727guru,
Subwoofers would only be totally non-directional if one could use a brickwall type crossover. Since all crossovers use some type of slope, we can detect upper order harmonics coming from the subwoofer making it somewhat directional at 80 hz or so. I typically rcommend crossover points around 60 hz or so if the rest of the speaker system allows. Room placement is typically used to try to acheive a flatter room response at the listening position.

TEWhite1,
If you can afford it, I would suggest purchasing a different woofer for your diy project. To acheive serious low end (20 hz range) at or near reference levels, a subwoofer needs either a lot of linear excursion (sealed enclosure), a ported enclosure or a bandpass enclosure. Since we do not have the parameters, a ported and/or bandpass enclosure is not in the cards. That would leave you with doing a sealed enclosure and a sub with little linear excursion. Check out adire audio at http://www.adireaudio.com and look at their Shiva subwoofers. Also, look into the Dayton Titanic II subs at http://patsexpress.com . Either of those drivers would do nicely. They are great diy subs. I would also reccomend a 12 inch driver, space permitting of course.

T

TEWhite1

Enthusiast
Annunaki, Thank you so much for your help (especially the links! :D ). At this point, I have the materials for the box, but I think I'm gonna wait to build the box, because I may purchase one of the subs from one of those sites. Any suggestions on an amp, cuz i think i'm gonna need a new one. I am currently running a very old Technics FM/AM Stereo Reciever SA-101. Most likely will have to replace that, as with the sub, it came with the house, so i don't know it's output, but it powers 2 speakers with 8 inch subs/midrange fairly well. The speakers i currently have don't seem to play low notes very clearly, is this due to crappy speakers, or crappy reciever, or both. The 8 inch subs/midrange seem to be made out of some sort of cardboard/paper?!?!? (reason for wanting to have a real sub)

Last edited:
B

b727guru

Audiophyte
Annunaki,
Thanks for the response back to my question. Since I'm new to this, I'll ask a very (I think) basic question. How do I adjust a crossover? Is this done at the receiver setup stage?
A lot of terms sometimes become sort of relative to other people's ears. By a "flatter room respose", what do you mean?

Also, since I have only 1 wall to work with where I can place the sub, should I place the sub on the floor along the wall and move it around until I hear this flatter response? Then I cut a hole in the wall?

Guru.

annunaki

annunaki

TEWhite1,
I believe both of those sites also have "plate amplifiers" that can be purchased to drive the subwoofer. They are basically amps that would mount right into the enclosure for the sub on the back side. I would suggest an amplifier capable of producing wattage equal to the sub's continuous power handling at the subwoofer's impedence (ohms).

B727guru,

Flat response would be when all frequencies are reproduced to the same level or within 3 db of each other. This is something that is dificult to "listen" for. A simple radio shack spl meter and a cd with sine waves on it will work quite well in setting up the subwoofer system. Depending upon you receiver, the crossover can be set on it (the receiver) or the sub. If you are using the receiver's crossover, turn the sub's crossover up to the highest frequency. If using the sub's crossover (depending on the receiver) just send the LFE output to the sub with the crossover off. The receiver's crossover typically will yield better results depending upon how expansive it is.

In terms of determining best placement for the sub, here are a few details.
1) Place the subwoofer at the listening position
2) Play fullrange pink noise through the sub only
3) Using the rat shack meter, slowly move down the wall (at the sub's position level, yes you may have to get on your hands and knees) the sub will be placed
4) Note the position with the highest amount of output. Also note other high points
5) After finding this position, test at various frequencies i.e. 20hz, 30hz, 40hz, 50hz, 60hz, up to 80 or so.
6) Note the levels (in db) at each frequency. use the placement that will give you no more that 3db of difference at each frequency. If you cannot get a position that allows this simply get as close as you can.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
TEWhite1 said:
I am currently running a very old Technics FM/AM Stereo Reciever SA-101. Most likely will have to replace that, as with the sub, it came with the house, so i don't know it's output, but it powers 2 speakers with 8 inch subs/midrange fairly well.

I bought one brand new in 1981 for $70 form a place in Manhatten jsut before I gradiated graddut graduato ummm left college with a degree in onglish/mechanical enginerding. Worked great sounded great as long as the room was only 2x2x7 feet. It is 15 or 20 watts/channel (I forget which). Still have the case (used the guts for all sorts of DIY projects that go boom. You will need to replace it. You cannot use it for your intended purpose.

T

TEWhite1

Enthusiast
ok, kinda off topic, but if I decide to bridge the left and right channel, will the power output double since I am connecting the left and right channel, or will it be the same. Eg, if I have 20 watts per channel, will I have 40 watts on the mono bridged channel, or will I only have 20 watts on the mono bridged channel? Also, how do you bridge 2 channels together, what do I have to buy? or do I just connect the 2 channels together.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis