Adding a subwoofer to center with high level inputs.

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
I was wondering if adding a subwoofer to my center channel with high level inputs would be beneficial to me. I have a hsu vtf-3 mk5 subwoofer and a sm55 definitve technology center channel. I have an extra definitive technology pro sub 1000. Would connecting my old pro sub 1000 to my sm55 through high level inputs be beneficial in any way?
Thanks for any help!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think only way it's beneficial is if you just use the regular LFE/Subwoofer connection.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

If you were having issues with crossover (being so high that is localized) then maybe. If you were trying to create a center channel that had the lowest crossover, this would do it. This essentially is making a full range speaker on your center channel, but the sub connected to it would need to be in the center too, as it would cover a range that would likely localize (if it didn't then it adds nothing since the subs on LFE with crossover would handle it). If you had an AVR that could do different crossovers for each channel you could configure your center to be more full range and keep some lower crossover on it. But ultimately, it begs, why? The problem is, if the center speaker doesn't dig deep enough, and the sub added doesn't ascend high enough, you end up with a weird gap still. Plus you'd have to really balance the two (using high level input and manual gain on the sub) so that one end of the frequency spectrum isn't overpowering and just sounds extra boomy.

Very best,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd just let the Hsu do the work, the DT is more a bass module in comparison. What are you trying to get the center channel to "do"?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Can you put up a pic to see how you are setup?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis