Added some treatment with no results

E

Endaar

Enthusiast
Who was condescending?
I don't think that's a road worth going down. Maybe I was thin-skinned, maybe some of the comments came across more pointed than intended. No hard feelings either way.

Tenor aside, there wasn't a lot I felt I could add to my original post, and you guys did basically answer my question by making it clear that room treatment was more complicated than I expected, even on the small scale I was attempting.

While aesthetic concerns are not foremost with my room, it is not a 100% dedicated space and 4" thick panels are not something I'm interested in looking at. Plus, between windows and other obstructions, I don't have a lot of bare wall to work with. I had tried treating the few surfaces that could even realistically be treated (lower towards the floor), it didn't make any measurable difference, and so I'm chalking it up to a lesson learned.

In any event I think I'm close to the point where I'm chasing measurements more than enjoying the setup. I watched Ready Player One yesterday with some friends who were blown away. Nobody other than me was even thinking about a slight peak here or there. Perhaps that's the real lesson.

Thanks for an interesting thread.

Endaar

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Yeah, that's the only problem with having measurement capabilities, it's easy to start to obsess over the little things(especially when a lot in this hobby, including myself, are a bit anal... er ah meticulous lol). We must remember that even without any calibration our systems likely sound much better then 90% of the planet including most theaters...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think that's a road worth going down. Maybe I was thin-skinned, maybe some of the comments came across more pointed than intended. No hard feelings either way.

Tenor aside, there wasn't a lot I felt I could add to my original post, and you guys did basically answer my question by making it clear that room treatment was more complicated than I expected, even on the small scale I was attempting.

While aesthetic concerns are not foremost with my room, it is not a 100% dedicated space and 4" thick panels are not something I'm interested in looking at. Plus, between windows and other obstructions, I don't have a lot of bare wall to work with. I had tried treating the few surfaces that could even realistically be treated (lower towards the floor), it didn't make any measurable difference, and so I'm chalking it up to a lesson learned.

In any event I think I'm close to the point where I'm chasing measurements more than enjoying the setup. I watched Ready Player One yesterday with some friends who were blown away. Nobody other than me was even thinking about a slight peak here or there. Perhaps that's the real lesson.

Thanks for an interesting thread.

Endaar
Good. Hard feelings is not what I meant to elicit, nor do I harbor any. :)

I think you make a good observation in this reply. It is really easy to get sucked into chasing after "perfect" measurements and I've seen it detract from others' enjoyment. Looking at my last post saying a mic and rew were "absolute necessities", I should have added "if you really want to get into making some improvements". They're not necessary for you to just set up and enjoy your system without getting lost down rabbit holes.

If you decide you wanna try anything else give us a shout and we'll do our best to get you pointed in the right direction.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis