add brightness, crisp tones

T

titojojo

Audiophyte
I have a pair of Pioneer SP-FS51 and matching center that I have had for a while with an older Pioneer receiver. I want to improve that high, bright, crisp, sparkly sound when watching movies. My system sounded pretty decent but really wanted to improve the brightness. I just replaced my receiver with an Onkyo TX-NR676 which helped a bit but would still like to improve. Replacing the speakers is not in the budget at the moment so any recommendations would be appreciated. thanks!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
First thoughts:
Speaker placement. How do you have them set up right now? Toeing in towards LP might help, likewise with your center, angle it towards you.
Room acoustics:
Do you have a lot of absorptive and difracting materials behind, around, and between you and your speakers?
Room correction and Eq:
Are you using room correction? If you are try turning it off and setting distances manually. You can also experiment with boosting your highs. Not a recommendation I offer lightly, as it’s an imperfect solution. But it’s your ears, and the bottom line in audio is that you enjoy it... so maybe worth trying?
Lastly:
Start saving for new speakers! New speakers are the single most effective way to improve sound quality. I’ve seen that suggested so many times, if I had a nickel for each... ;)

Just some ideas to help the conversation along.
Cheers!

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I have a pair of Pioneer SP-FS51 and matching center that I have had for a while with an older Pioneer receiver. I want to improve that high, bright, crisp, sparkly sound when watching movies. My system sounded pretty decent but really wanted to improve the brightness. I just replaced my receiver with an Onkyo TX-NR676 which helped a bit but would still like to improve. Replacing the speakers is not in the budget at the moment so any recommendations would be appreciated. thanks!
That sound you want is simple a speaker quality. Nothing you can do will give you that other than the speakers. Increasing treble might help but will not improve the sound of the pioneers.

You can try and expose or add as many reflective surfaces into you room. Bring mirrors in, take curtains and blinds off your windows, stuff like that. But again, that sound is simply speaker side, nothing else.

If you can replace the center channel, you should do that. Most of a movie is output through there. 70% or something like that.

Try Klipsch, HTD, SVS Prime, all are nice and bright which you seem to want. Do not worry about matching brands. It will not benefit you to get the Pioneer Elite Center.

T

titojojo

Audiophyte
thanks for the very informative replies. Yea I figured I would have to replace my speakers. My brother has a sonos soundbar with no sub which sounds pretty amazing and has the brightness I want, but sonos stuff seems overpriced to me plus I'm a traditional receiver/speakers guy. I've always eyeballed SVS Primes. guess i gotta start saving up. Thanks again!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
thanks for the very informative replies. Yea I figured I would have to replace my speakers. My brother has a sonos soundbar with no sub which sounds pretty amazing and has the brightness I want, but sonos stuff seems overpriced to me plus I'm a traditional receiver/speakers guy. I've always eyeballed SVS Primes. guess i gotta start saving up. Thanks again!
I have a very good friend, used to DJ and such... completely happy with his Sonos gear, so much so he installed it all over his restaurant. Doesn't sound bad, frankly, but it doesn't sound great, either. ;) At the end of the day, It's your system and your ears... like I said up top. No shame whatever you choose!
SVS is a good company with many loyal fans. You can do MUCH worse. ;) They have great customer service, and great shipping policies with 45-day in-home trial. Plan right and you can get a discount at 5 speakers when you order. Not substantial, but may be worth it.
In the mean time, try experimenting with some of the stop-gap measures. You might be surprised how a little change MAY make a big difference, especially when it comes to aiming tweeters at your ears at the LP. But Russ is right, too, and clearly in agreement with my last point: the biggest difference will be in the right speakers for you and your room!
Best,
R

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis