Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
TV preference is certainly in the eye of the beholder, but I am bewildered by the number of people that think the various Sony sets are the bomb. I think they are the worst of all of them.

I stopped into Conns the other day to see if they had the new Toshiba LX177. They didn't but had last year's model, the HL167. They were playing a Disney video with a story book and on all TVs EXCEPT the Sony, the book cover was a deep red. On the Sony, it was pink. Now I realize that someone could have messed with the settings but in general the Sonys are horrible compared to just about every other brand.

For what it's worth, I am now sold on the Toshiba LX177 instead of the Sharp that was my previous choice. As soon as I can see one in person that is the way I will go. Hopefully by the end of August. Of course I am still on the fence between 46" and 52".
Finally someone who has simmilar feeling tword Sony as me. I hate anything and everything Sony with a passion. There like Bose to me, except they make crap for almost every electronics form there is.

Sean

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Finally someone who has simmilar feeling tword Sony as me. I hate anything and everything Sony with a passion. There like Bose to me, except they make crap for almost every electronics form there is.

Sean
I prefer Panasonic but I also prefer plasma to LCD. I think the differences between manufacturers for LCD's are not as noticeble as the differences in plasma tvs. Panasonic, Sharp, Sony, and JVC all make a good lcd but give me a Panasonic Plasma over all of them any day.

LCD compared

Plasma's compared

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord

Sean
Well, that has to be the most unbiased and objective post I've ever read.

SheepStar

R

riceaterslc

Audioholic

Sean
what sort of bad experiences do you have with sony products? i think their equipment is comparable to most of the other major brands out there. i've never had any problems with their stuff and they are not drastically more expensive than any other brand. i still use a shelf system i got back in 1994 in my garage and my father has our original CRT TV that he bought in 1985 in his den, still works like a champ, never broke..

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I originally posted this in the "boring" thread, but I figured that I'd throw it in here, too. After all, I haven't added anything to my theater thread for almost two years (mostly because I haven't added much to my theater :)).

As a background, my IPS-1 has had an excessive amount of hum since I bought it. So much so that I don't use it and haven't for several months.

-------------------------------------

I wish that I would have written off the warranty a year and a half ago and opened up my IPS-1. I'm sure glad that I did it today! I think that two of my amp modules are to blame for the bulk of the excessive hum, and they are easy to disconnect from the power supply. I don't need all seven channels, so I can live with disconnecting the trouble makers.

Below are some pictures. Sorry for the image quality. I scaled the pictures to 50% so that they wouldn't be too big.

Front view with top and right side panels removed

Side view showing the transformers (I think that's the right word) and circuit boards

Top view showing some of the modules disconnected from the power supply

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'd like to add something. The IPS-1 is a hefty amp and has a nice fit and finish on the outside. Sonically, it's just fine. My only issue with it has been the excessive hum. Other than that, it's a nice piece of equipment.

Once I get an amp module taken out, I'll add some pictures of one of those. I just have to figure out how to get one of the connectors detached.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Looks like a nice amp (s) for sure! Sorry to hear about the hum.:)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, guys!

Here are some images of an individual amp module and the transformer.

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
Greetings, all.

As I prepare myself for tomorrow's arrival of the PC-Ultra, I thought that I'd take a few snapshots of my current set-up. Below is one view (sorry for the poor photography). Nothing too fancy, but it works for me.

I'll be sure to show off the Ultra once I get it set up. Also, I plan on getting a new stand (likely a StudioTech Ultra U-22D) and new TV (probably a Toshiba 46" or 47" LCD) fairly soon and will post new pics when that happens.

Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day.

I always took you for a rear-projection kinda guy... :p

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I always took you for a rear-projection kinda guy... :p
Now now we all know he's a CRT man. Just be careful. He's sensitive that he didn't get the 36" like me!:eek::D
Very true, Doug, but I get that rear-projection thing a lot. I'm not sure, but it might be this t-shirt that I wear all of the time. I think that people misunderstand it and think that it applies to home theater.

About five years ago, I was all motivated and on the leadership track. A real go-getter, but always stressed and not very happy. Then, I came across a couple of guys selling shirts at a street fair. They seemed all bubbly and happy, full of energy. They had this one t-shirt, and when I saw it next to them, it just clicked. My perspective changed dramatically. Instead of stressing out and trying to get ahead, it made me realize that I could be happier by just stepping back and following someone else. What a great shirt. It really helps set the mood. It's all colorful (even has a rainbow on it) and reads:

"I like it in the rear."

:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You need to take new pictures of your HT, and I do too.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You need to take new pictures of your HT, and I do too.
I was going to wait until something changed. ;) I'll definitely take new pictures if/when I get a new TV. I do have new carpet, but I haven't felt inspired enough to put up a new picture with just that.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Don't sweat it Adam I have a 36" sony trinitron I bought out here with a stand for $90....................one day I will have a 50" plasma.........:eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis