Acoustic Treatments

A

AudioBuffCO

Junior Audioholic
Hey All - Newbie to the site, and this is my first Post. I understand that a person could easily go overboard with acoustic treatments. However, I understand there are some basic things that can be done. My "Home Theater" is in my Family Room. It's a 5.1 system:

Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5860 (95w/Ch - High-current amp)

Definity Technology Speakers:
Mains: BP10+
Center: C/L/R 2500
Surrounds: Def Tech BP 1.2X
Sub: 15TL+

The room has wall-to-wall carpeting, a cushy sofa, love seat, thin drapes on the two large widows (one window behind my system, and the other on the opposite wall). There are framed pictures & other decorations on most of the wall space. The room is approximately 14" X 22", with a 7 1/2' ceiling. My mains, center & sub are on one of the short walls. Behind my sofa, my listening location, there is a space of 8' from that soda to the back wall (One of the mentioned windows is on that back wall).

Perhaps I gave WAAAY too many details for my bottom-line question; but, I figure better to give more than not enough. :O)
Would / could it possibly improve the overall sound if I place an acoustic treatment on the ceiling, between my mains & center
and my listening position? Would a thick (thinking decorative) blanket or rug on the ceiling suit the purpose? Also, should I place something
on the side walls to dampen the early reflections off the mains? OR, should the fact that I have carpeting, sofa, love seat be enough to take
care of that. Presuming the bulk of the advice would be to experiment - would the above mentioned thick blanker/rug suffice? (As an alternative,
what would be a good, but inexpensive solution?

Thanks in advance!!

Tom

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Use throw pillows in the corners alone the back wall, behind each L/R mains. Doesn’t cost a lot plus you can buy some really cool looking throw pillows. Plus if you ever have a bunch of friends come over to watch a move you’ll have some extra pillows Incase you run out of chairs Use some of the throw pillows for them to sit down on. Oh welcome to AH!!
That’s just one of many room treatments I Mentioned. I use those pillows works great!

Mike

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Use throw pillows in the corners alone the back wall, behind each L/R mains. Doesn’t cost a lot plus you can buy some really cool looking throw pillows. Plus if you ever have a bunch of friends come over to watch a move you’ll have some extra pillows Incase you run out of chairs Use some of the throw pillows for them to sit down on. Oh welcome to AH!!
That’s just one of many room treatments I Mentioned. I use those pillows works great!

Mike
Excellent suggestion Mike.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Excellent suggestion Mike.
Hey thanks! Hey I got that Tip from ADTG! He uses a Lot of them! Works really good, I’m a renter so building panels for a place I won’t stay in for a long time pillows are very inexpensive way to add room treatments

Mike

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Hey thanks! Hey I got that Tip from ADTG! He use a Lot of them! Works really good, I’m a renter so building panels for a place I won’t stay in for a long time pillows are very inexpensive way to add room treatments

Mike
Yeah, I saw that too from ADTG. Clever.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Yeah, I saw that too from ADTG. Clever.
What a killer system he has uhu, I seen some use those long banners too they hand them on walls. Like say them Game of Thrones House banners. You can order just banners of the regular kind lot cheaper than GOT banners just used that as an example.

Mike

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Hey All - Newbie to the site, and this is my first Post. I understand that a person could easily go overboard with acoustic treatments. However, I understand there are some basic things that can be done. My "Home Theater" is in my Family Room. It's a 5.1 system:

The room has wall-to-wall carpeting, a cushy sofa, love seat, thin drapes on the two large widows (one window behind my system, and the other on the opposite wall). There are framed pictures & other decorations on most of the wall space. The room is approximately 14" X 22", with a 7 1/2' ceiling. My mains, center & sub are on one of the short walls. Behind my sofa, my listening location, there is a space of 8' from that soda to the back wall (One of the mentioned windows is on that back wall).

Perhaps I gave WAAAY too many details for my bottom-line question; but, I figure better to give more than not enough. :O)
Would / could it possibly improve the overall sound if I place an acoustic treatment on the ceiling, between my mains & center
and my listening position? Would a thick (thinking decorative) blanket or rug on the ceiling suit the purpose? Also, should I place something
on the side walls to dampen the early reflections off the mains? OR, should the fact that I have carpeting, sofa, love seat be enough to take
care of that. Presuming the bulk of the advice would be to experiment - would the above mentioned thick blanker/rug suffice? (As an alternative,

Thanks in advance!!

Tom
other than Mikes good suggestion for corner bass trapping (don't be afraid to do the same to the rear corners as well), the more you can treat floor to ceiling the better.

As for the ceiling, yes, for sure given your rather short (7 1/2'), treat this as you would your side walls (angle of incidence = angle of reflection). 2" of acoustic insulation would be fine for both purposes.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja

Thanks in advance!!

Tom
When it comes to room acoustics, EVERYTHING MATTERS! So no worries about excess detail!

But with everything you described, you did not say what problems you are experiencing that you feel need 'treatment'.

As was pointed out, our furnishings provide various of levels of absorption and/or reflection such as a bookshelf. Pads and carpets together absorb a broader range of frequencies than just a throw rug. Couches and pillows are excellent absorbers.

Since we don't sell absorbers, we're not going to tell you how desperately you need them, and so these examples hopefully will give you enough to contemplate!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Your room is probably fine. There might be some areas of improvement that maybe some treatments can address, but you would need to measure your room and see what they are, or else you are just throwing money away by buying treatments. You don't want to get rid of all acoustic reflections anyway.

Furthermore, most of your speakers are bipole designs which rely on acoustic reflections for their specific sound presentation. Putting in too much absorpers or diffusors defeats the point of the design of your speakers.

A

AudioBuffCO

Junior Audioholic

Mike
Hey Mike,

Thanks for your reply. Will the throw pillows specifically tame the highs? I have to think not, since highs are very directional.

A

AudioBuffCO

Junior Audioholic
Your room is probably fine. There might be some areas of improvement that maybe some treatments can address, but you would need to measure your room and see what they are, or else you are just throwing money away by buying treatments. You don't want to get rid of all acoustic reflections anyway.

Furthermore, most of your speakers are bipole designs which rely on acoustic reflections for their specific sound presentation. Putting in too much absorbers or diffusers defeats the point of the design of your speakers.
Point taken. But, would the high-frequency sound improve if I absorb the early reflections from just the front-aiming tweeters, in the BP10s Mains. What about the center - which has only one, front-aiming tweeter?

A

AudioBuffCO

Junior Audioholic
When it comes to room acoustics, EVERYTHING MATTERS! So no worries about excess detail!

But with everything you described, you did not say what problems you are experiencing that you feel need 'treatment'.

As was pointed out, our furnishings provide various of levels of absorption and/or reflection such as a bookshelf. Pads and carpets together absorb a broader range of frequencies than just a throw rug. Couches and pillows are excellent absorbers.

Since we don't sell absorbers, we're not going to tell you how desperately you need them, and so these examples hopefully will give you enough to contemplate!
You are SO right! I was wanting help on taming highs.

A

AudioBuffCO

Junior Audioholic
H

Furthermore, most of your speakers are bipole designs which rely on acoustic reflections for their specific sound presentation. Putting in too much absorpers or diffusors defeats the point of the design of your speakers.
What is involved in getting a room measured?

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Your biggest sonic issue with that room is the windows. Get heavy drapery and the ability to open / close them. For watching movies and listening to music, you want the windows covered by drapery. Multiple layers are OK as well there.

"Stuff" on the side walls are beneficial. Bookcases, pictures in frames, LP or disk storage open to the room (ie not drawers that hide the software),knick-nacks on shelving or some kind of storage bins / bookcases, sports or movie memorabilia, whatever odd-shaped and varying density items you can think of, place that between you and the system on the side walls.

I don't think ceiling treatment should be looked at until you have taken care of the reflections / absorption on the back walls and side walls.

You can buy room treatments, but generally they are expensive and not very effective.

You can do just as well by investing in the things anyone would want in a comfortable feeling room. Surround yourself in things that speak to you. Let the wife go nuts if you want; after explaining to her what is needed so she doesn't spend money on inappropriate decor.

You are doing well by having space behind the listening position, but some form of absorbion on the back wall might be helpful. Maybe hang a large-ish persian rug, build a diffuser panel, put an interesting object hanging a small distance from the back wall (in the past, people hung tapestries ... think about a modern take on that theme. Maybe a perforated leather cowhide, rawhide straps to a curtain rod, who knows. Use your imagination; your movie / music room doesn't have to look like a recording studio).

The best, reasonably cost effective ceiling treatment I know of, is to buy a rug, something simple with a natural backing like jute, I'd go to the rug store and get a remnant / end-of-roll quality example for low cost. You don't need much.

Then take it to an upholsterer, and tell them you want random length, full width throw rugs, say 6" to 12" in length, and up to your room width of 14', with serged or binded edges (binding is the least expensive).

If you had somewhere between 5 and 10 examples, you would be fine. Hang them from the ceiling, maybe two to a few feet apart, random value there also helpful, or a repeating distance, say 18" apart. Your method of hanging is up to you ... they can be right up to the ceiling or with a space of a few inches from the ceiling.via grommets or eyelets ... the upholstery shop will punch them for you as well.

Consider whom the tallest person likely to use the system would be ... with your 7.5' ceiling height, maybe you would want to limit the largest size to 10" if you intend to hang them 2" from the ceiling, for example, so that a 6'4" person would not hit their head (people's gait is higher than their height).

You want to focus on the first one third of the ceiling. Leave the rest as is.

Attached a general view of a music space, as seen from the top of the room, and the use of ceiling diffusers:

concert hall.jpg

Concert Hall No2.jpg

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Point taken. But, would the high-frequency sound improve if I absorb the early reflections from just the front-aiming tweeters, in the BP10s Mains. What about the center - which has only one, front-aiming tweeter?
If you install specific kinds of treatments at first reflection points, you might be able to damp the high frequencies.
H

What is involved in getting a room measured?
You need to get a measurement microphone, a PC, and some measurements software (Room EQ Wizard) and take some measurements.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Hey Mike,

Thanks for your reply. Will the throw pillows specifically tame the highs? I have to think not, since highs are very directional.
No they won’t! Only with Omni directional! So you thought right. Now depending on your room, what’s in it or what’s not in it will affect any Soundsystem. Vaulted ceiling‘s tend to act as concert halls “symphony“ . A room with lots of windows can create a nightmare of Sorts, walls made of sheet rock tend to be exorbitant, hard wood walls will reflect, Floors another whole different ballgame, concrete floors can very challenging, Large area rug will be needed. Wood floors will affect the lowend of Tower speakers. I use speaker isolation pads with my Towers cause I have wooden floors, same for my sub. I just got them in this week. I could go on and on I would Advise you to research that diligently. Room treatment for a audio system.

Mike

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis