A/V receiver vs. Separates

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Completely agree.

Partially agree (assuming you imply the amp is overdriven). It will happen if
  1. The amp is underpowered and goes into clipping aka overdriven
  2. The amp is too powerful and though not clipped the speaker extrusion capability is maxed over a period of time leading to eventual mechanical failure
  3. The amp is too powerful and though not clipped, the speaker coil is fried by an instantaneous peak.

Disagree.

IOTW there is more than one way to blow a speaker. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I completely agree with the fact that plenty of power is always a good thing, but I don't think the intent of the OP in this case was to achieve ear blistering levels, just good sound. So it is up to the OP to give some things a try and find out exactly how much power he needs to get where he wants to be. If the previous AVR achieved that goal, then separates might be overkill, but if he was NOT happy with the power output of the former, then an amp with an AVR or a pre/pro might be exaclty what he needs.

I realize that Pre/Pro is not available yet, nor is the Outlaw one, but both will be in the price range when they come out.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can read the OP's mind. He wants that Emotiva Pre-Pro + Amp combo.:D

But in reality, most of us don't "NEED" that extra power. Most of us can do just fine with 100 watts per channel of REAL power.

But most of us just "WANT" that extra power.

Hey, more "POWER" to you.:D

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
I can read the OP's mind. He wants that Emotiva Pre-Pro + Amp combo.:D

But in reality, most of us don't "NEED" that extra power. Most of us can do just fine with 100 watts per channel of REAL power.

But most of us just "WANT" that extra power.

Hey, more "POWER" to you.:D
I've said it once and I'll say it again... I like my system MORE since I've downsized to the point of running everything off my AVR. I went from a setup with 3 power amps running my front stage, and the AVR powering the surrounds, to a simple setup of identical speakers all powered from the AVR, and for home theater use I like it BETTER.

Sure I can't hit 110 dB like I used to, but that was nuts anyway.

You know the saying "the right tool for the job"... there is a right tool for a home theater that's primarily used for TV and/or movies. And the same way using a 10 pound monkey wrench to losen a bolt on your kids R/C car is overkill, so is too much power in a home theater.

I had the power amp bug too, and it was great showing off the system when people came over, but for all practical purposes, it was dumb. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have a really large room and identical 4 Ohm speakers all around, so my AVR just wasn't able to adequately hack it on it's own, so I added the amps. I am quite pleased with the results and the AVR has no problem handling just the two surrounds.

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
I have a really large room and identical 4 Ohm speakers all around, so my AVR just wasn't able to adequately hack it on it's own, so I added the amps. I am quite pleased with the results and the AVR has no problem handling just the two surrounds.
In a large room this makes sense. If I had a large theater room, I'd be looking at some JTR's and power amps for all!

For my [future] studio in the basement, I've got a pair of Yamaha club speakers (S115V) and a pair of Behringer A500's, best sounding 2.0 setup I've ever heard for high volume, but I'm partial to the horns...

C

cfrizz

Senior Audioholic
We are in agreement Agar.

And what you disagreed with at the end, you agreed to with your first sentence. "It's about the speakers having all the power they need."

Worrying about the amp being utilized to its full potential is backwards thinking. (as far as I'm concerned.):)

Completely agree.

Partially agree (assuming you imply the amp is overdriven). It will happen if
  1. The amp is underpowered and goes into clipping aka overdriven
  2. The amp is too powerful and though not clipped the speaker extrusion capability is maxed over a period of time leading to eventual mechanical failure
  3. The amp is too powerful and though not clipped, the speaker coil is fried by an instantaneous peak.

Disagree.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I went from a setup with 3 power amps running my front stage, and the AVR powering the surrounds, to a simple setup of identical speakers all powered from the AVR
And I went from FOUR Acurus power amps + FOUR Acurus stereo Preamps to one AVR.:D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Like it was metioned, the right tool for teh right job. If the room is large or the speakers very difficult to drive, then seperate amps are required and can be had for much cheaper than flagship AVRs whose power you would be just matching of the power amps. However, if you can get seperates with all teh bells and whistles for the same price as an AVR like the Emotiva combo, I'll choose seperates over a single AVR unit any day. Why? The flexability in futur upgrades for the pre/pro side and the flexability of being able to drive any speaker and not be concerned with its effiiency or impedance.

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
The same great sound, minus the hissing noise from the speakers.:D
Same here, and I'm not worried about running dedicated circuits for the power amps! I hate to say this but I'm not even running a sub and I still like it better! :eek:

The studio is another story, power is good for big club speakers... :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Same here, and I'm not worried about running dedicated circuits for the power amps! I hate to say this but I'm not even running a sub and I still like it better! :eek:

The studio is another story, power is good for big club speakers... :D
Yeah, when I get that 15,000 cubic feet HT room, I'll get some extra amps.:D

A

axle_rose

Enthusiast
Just my two cents since I am noob here. I recently upgraded from an HK AVR325 to seperates and I am totally amazed at the difference...I went to an Outlaw 950 pre-pro and a Carver AV-505. I got everything used and in good shape from a buddy for a song. I already had the speakers which are Athena Audition series AS-F2 front speakers, a Polk Audio center channel, Boston Acoustic rears, an ancient AR sub with t-adapter and a velodyne VX-10. The biggest noticeable difference in going with seperates was how much "cleaner" everything sounded...

I fought seperates for many years...ever since I got my first Kenwood Dolby Pro-Logic AVR and speaker kit from Circuit City back in 1994. I won't be like that in the future. I am already looking at getting an Integra amp by the end of the year.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just my two cents since I am noob here. I recently upgraded from an HK AVR325 to seperates and I am totally amazed at the difference...I went to an Outlaw 950 pre-pro and a Carver AV-505. I got everything used and in good shape from a buddy for a song. I already had the speakers which are Athena Audition series AS-F2 front speakers, a Polk Audio center channel, Boston Acoustic rears, an ancient AR sub with t-adapter and a velodyne VX-10. The biggest noticeable difference in going with seperates was how much "cleaner" everything sounded...

I fought seperates for many years...ever since I got my first Kenwood Dolby Pro-Logic AVR and speaker kit from Circuit City back in 1994. I won't be like that in the future. I am already looking at getting an Integra amp by the end of the year.
The receivers out today are better sounding than the receivers from years ago.

And double-blinded studies have shown that most people can't even tell the difference between a $300 receiver and a $5,000 amp.

In Direct mode (bypassing Tones, Equalizers, DSPs), your receiver should sound exactly like your pre-pro/amp - unless there is something "wrong" with your receiver.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The receivers out today are better sounding than the receivers from years ago.

And double-blinded studies have shown that most people can't even tell the difference between a $300 receiver and a $5,000 amp.

In Direct mode (bypassing Tones, Equalizers, DSPs), your receiver should sound exactly like your pre-pro/amp - unless there is something "wrong" with your receiver.
Agreed, but good separates are very versatile in the DIY area. One can use all sorts of toys with them.:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed, but good separates are very versatile in the DIY area. One can use all sorts of toys with them.:)
You mean **cough**cough** HTPC ?:D

I've been on both sides of the fence when it comes to AVR vs. Separates.

I tend to prefer separates most of the time. Depends on my moods.:D

But I can say from experience and confidence that separates don't sound "cleaner" than receivers as a generalization; they sound the same to me in Direct Modes w/ Tones, EQs, DSPs Bypassed.

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
This reminds me so much of an issue in sportbike and car forums. Most people that buy a new exhaust and/or header for their bike or car write in claiming how much faster it FEELS. Then when someone goes and does a dyno test of the thing they make as much, or less HP than stock.

It's a placebo effect.

I spent $5000 on a set of separates, I'm SURE it sounds better than my old $500 AVR. :rolleyes:

I'm slowly learning (and have been in this game for a LONG time) that things like speaker placement and room acoustics are far more important than AVR-X vs. AVR-Y or speaker-X vs. speaker-Y.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This reminds me so much of an issue in sportbike and car forums. Most people that buy a new exhaust and/or header for their bike or car write in claiming how much faster it FEELS. Then when someone goes and does a dyno test of the thing they make as much, or less HP than stock.

It's a placebo effect.

I spent $5000 on a set of separates, I'm SURE it sounds better than my old $500 AVR. :rolleyes:

I'm slowly learning (and have been in this game for a LONG time) that things like speaker placement and room acoustics are far more important than AVR-X vs. AVR-Y or speaker-X vs. speaker-Y.
Yeah, I think 100% of us agree on the importance of speakers, placement, acoustics.

I definitely agree on the PLACEBO effect on everything.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis