A safe place to share blood loss

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
I’d like to take a minute to ask those out there in audio land, how many of you have stabbed your finger tips with little tiny screwdrivers while trying to tighten the little screws on the banana plugs?

I don’t want to be alone in the thought that I’m a complete moron for saving money on cheap plugs.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I’d like to take a minute to ask those out there in audio land, how many of you have stabbed your finger tips with little tiny screwdrivers while trying to tighten the little screws on the banana plugs?

I don’t want to be alone in the thought that I’m a complete moron for saving money on cheap plugs.
Don't use banana plugs that require tightening screws. I use these but the wire goes in from the side, not the end-

1600089607125.png

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Never, but only because I have stabbed them so many times before I knew what a banana plug was.

Over time, you develop a better sense of how to exert force in the directions that need force, and how to not put (undue) force behind the ones that don't, and the wisdom to know the difference! :)

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, my screwdriver skills were advanced before I ever saw a banana plug. I do prefer the little set screws over the crimp style highfigh likes, tho. Do you have an appropriate sized screwdriver? That helps....

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
Sorry, my screwdriver skills were advanced before I ever saw a banana plug. I do prefer the little set screws over the crimp style highfigh likes, tho. Do you have an appropriate sized screwdriver? That helps....
I did. My wire was just to thick to get the screws low enough that I could screw the shield on. So instead of just stripping back some of the copper, mongo just tightened the screws more. What an idiot.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did. My wire was just to thick to get the screws low enough that I could screw the shield on. So instead of just stripping back some of the copper, mongo just tightened the screws more. What an idiot.
LOL good grief what gauge are you using?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've had screwdrivers slip and sting me, but managed to not draw blood (yet).

Now for living dangerously... assembling DIY computers back in the 1990's, before case manufacturers started to implement rolled edges, was the equivalent of juggling razor blades! I suffered many cuts, and one in particular was firmly in "gash" territory. Any deeper and it might have needed stitches.

highfigh

highfigh

The ones I showed aren't crimped on, the gold end screws in and tightens against the wire and as I posted, the wire enters the hole on the side- the photo is wrong but it's the same plug I use. That photo wasn't from Parts Express, the seller I use.

highfigh

highfigh

I've had screwdrivers slip and sting me, but managed to not draw blood (yet).

Now for living dangerously... assembling DIY computers back in the 1990's, before case manufacturers started to implement rolled edges, was the equivalent of juggling razor blades! I suffered many cuts, and one in particular was firmly in "gash" territory. Any deeper and it might have needed stitches.
You should have done car audio in the '90s- the sheet metal used by Honda for the structure of their dash had a ridge on the back of the cut edges and on hot & humid days, it was deadly. It cut skin like butter.

highfigh

highfigh

Never, but only because I have stabbed them so many times before I knew what a banana plug was.

Over time, you develop a better sense of how to exert force in the directions that need force, and how to not put (undue) force behind the ones that don't, and the wisdom to know the difference! :)
Another way is to have a helper- "Here, hold this while I tighten the screws".

When I was young and would bang my fingers with a hammer, my dad would say "I know how to keep that from happening" and when I would ask about it, he'd say "Hold it with both hands". That really didn't help the pain.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Another way is to have a helper- "Here, hold this while I tighten the screws".

When I was young and would bang my fingers with a hammer, my dad would say "I know how to keep that from happening" and when I would ask about it, he'd say "Hold it with both hands". That really didn't help the pain.
That's rich ... and better than "Son, when ya dumb, ya gotta be tough"! :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I recently put a driver bit through my thumb nail when the drill slipped out of the screw!

That hurt like a Mofo!

It was one of those where you "know" that you are fine, no need for anything beyond first aid, you are just paying the stupid tax. That set my DIY work back by a week, and reminded me to be more careful!

And I had a good week of grossing out the wifey :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis