A new Salk 3-way speaker

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Salk has announced a new 3-way speaker. No name yet.
More details and photos here.
  • 8-ohm design
  • 87db Sensitivity
  • Frequency response: 33Hz - 40kHz ±3db
  • RAAL ribbon tweeter
  • 4 inch midrange with bamboo cone
  • 7.5 inch woofer with papyrus cone, ported cabinet
  • Crossover frequencies (4th order acoustic) at 280 Hz & 3,500 Hz
  • Size: 9.5" W x 14.25" D x 40.25" H not including plinths and spikes (add 2.5")
  • Price: $2895 per pair in standard finish

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Ahhh ... the NST's. Not SongTowers.
I think he's already sort of kind of named it the Song 3. Although it looks similar to my Slims Jr, it has two advantages. First, it's much more sensitive. The 87 dB figure is very conservative. Second, and related, it uses a larger woofer--the SB Acoustics Satori 7.5". The designers at SB Acoustics are former Scan Speak engineers, and the Satori line is based on the Scan Illuminator series. The new 3-way doesn't have an open-back midrange, and the cabinet tuning is bass reflex, not transmission line. Jim will be introducing it at Axpona this weekend. I'm flying up to see whether it sounds like it did in my living room. Will anyone else be at the show?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What is the design basis of the bass?

(TL? Standard ported, etc.)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Interesting, but not what I necessarily expected. Looks like this model would compete pretty well with the Supercharged ST's for a bit less cash, at the expense of the footprint.

I am curious though. Jim has been doing a bit of work in the active/semi-active arena lately. Seems like the 8" Rythmik driver & amp used in the Exotica's could be used to good effect in this kind of application, albeit a single 8" driver per speaker instead of the Exotica's duals to keep costs in line.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
When asked if these speakers are TLs, Jim Salk said
No, this is a ported design. First, the ideal location for the woofer turned out to be a bit different than it would in a normal TL design. Second, it already plays down to 33Hz. A TL design might play slightly lower, but it would be at the cost of power handling. Since that is so good now, we will probably leave things as they are. That said, we'll take a look at it for future consideration.
And, to quote Dennis a bit more from that other forum:
I would like to add just a few details. First, it's not super difficult to develop a decent 3-way. There are a bajillion of them ut there, and some are pretty good. The problem comes when you want to keep the price under $3,000 and still provide truly deep bass extension with a woofer that won't require a cabinet the size of Cleveland. That's what has delayed this project and has generated countless e-mails. We struggled for almost a year with a woofer that had admirable characteristics down low, but that lacked output in the critical midbass range. In the meantime, I was following glowing reviews on DIY boards about a premium woofer manufactured by SB Acoustics under the name Satori. SB Acoustics was started by former engineers of Scan Speak, and I've used their 6.5" woofer in a previous version of my Philharmonitor. The new line is modeled after the Uber-Expensive Scan Speak Illuminator woofers, one of which Jim has used in the Silk monitor. The 7.5" version promised everything we were looking for, and that's what Jim will be bringing to Chicago. I personally think the Salk Satori would be a good name if the folks at SB Acoustics would allow it.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'd be interested to hear how that SB Acoustics driver performs. I've always been intrigued by their drivers.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'd be interested to hear how that SB Acoustics driver performs. I've always been intrigued by their drivers.
The smaller Satori's are truly excellent drivers. The Testarossa's I built use dual Satori's per cab.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I've only tried the biggest one. I'm not sure how the SB people do it, but the 7.5" has excellent bass extension in a smallish cabinet, while maintaining high sensitivity. The slip side is that the response further up is dreadful--this is not a candidate for a large 2-way. But crossed fairly low in a 3-way, it's superb. The smaller Satori woofers are probably very high quality, but they have a glitch in the response around 1300 Hz that looks problematic.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
  • 8-ohm design
  • 87db Sensitivity
  • RAAL ribbon tweeter
  • Size: 9.5" W x 14.25" D x 40.25" H not including plinths and spikes (add 2.5")
Looks very nice but I hope that woofer can handle the bass without bottoming out. I would have liked to see dual bass drivers to help the load a bit but the price would probably go up too.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
… I hope that woofer can handle the bass without bottoming out.

I would have liked to see dual bass drivers…
For you, two woofers may not be enough ;). Go for three.

Remember Paul Simon:

One man's ceiling is another man's floor.​

D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
I like the black/gray cabinet!
I almost never see a Salk speaker that isn't easy on the eyes. He does the cabinet work the right way, no question. But that color on those speakers really looks good to me.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I almost never see a Salk speaker that isn't easy on the eyes. He does the cabinet work the right way, no question. But that color on those speakers really looks good to me.
I certainly agree. But black speakers are not my cup of tea. Fortunately, there are a number of very good standard finishes that Salk does offer.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Looks very nice but I hope that woofer can handle the bass without bottoming out. I would have liked to see dual bass drivers to help the load a bit but the price would probably go up too.
I'm not sure this is a Gene-type speaker, although you might be surprised at how well the Satori woofer does in terms of power handling. The problem with doubling up on the woofers is that you would not only face twice the cost of an already expensive woofer, but the cabinet volume for the woofers would have to be twice as large. There goes the slim footprint and a "budget" price. Also, the woofers would have to be wired in series to avoid overwhelming the midrange driver, so you wouldn't gain anything in terms of sensitivity.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
  • 8-ohm design
  • 87db Sensitivity
  • RAAL ribbon tweeter
Bamboo cone? First, that I have ever seen that. I know Dave uses Bamboo in his cabinets. Guess it makes sense. Really like the look of these. Wow! Would love to hear them one day.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis