A new PB13-Ultra and an old PB12 Plus/2 compared

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Nice Update, and glad that your problem has been fixed....

I really wish I could accommodate a Ultra 13 in my bedroom, but that just isn't possible..

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
One thing that struck me immediately, even before I opened the box containing the new amp, was how light it was. Yes, I know, D-class and all that, but I expected some weight from the plate the amp is built on. But no, the "plate" is plastic; really, the amp has a very "cheap" look and feel to it.

I'll admit that I was a little underwhelmed when I took a peak at the amp in my Ultra 13. I was impressed with the size of the caps, but also, I was not sure what to expect from BASH technology. I'll say this though, the amp certainly performs.

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
I'll admit that I was a little underwhelmed when I took a peak at the amp in my Ultra 13. I was impressed with the size of the caps, but also, I was not sure what to expect from BASH technology. I'll say this though, the amp certainly performs.
Yes, the amp does seem to perform; I guess it's more of a "pride of ownership" thing. I mean, having a piece of kit that's built extremely well gives a good feeling that goes beyond how well it performs and the U13 amp just doesn't do it for me even it the rest of the sub does.

I took a snapshot of the SMS-1 graph after the amp change and the result is surprising.

That is with exactly the same setup and sub position. Lowering the gain on the sub and SMS-1 brought it down of course but there still seems to be more relative gain lower down than there was before with the old amp. I think it’s a little redundant to say that I had to completely redo the EQ after seeing this.

I think imageshack is starting to eat some of my images too. :eek:

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Hey Adrian, you got some serious lower end room gain there in that position eh... :D:D Can't say thats all a bad thing... You could also set your highpass filter up a notch to bring that down a touch and drag those sliders down there down to lower that a touch.

I'm sure you already messed with that all already, but looking at your graph, I don't see it as a big problem.. Looks pretty good...

But lowering is much better then raising as you know...

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
aren't we less sensitive to low frequencies? so a downward slope from the bottom end is actually flat to our ears?

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
Hey Adrian, you got some serious lower end room gain there in that position eh... :D:D Can't say thats all a bad thing... You could also set your highpass filter up a notch to bring that down a touch and drag those sliders down there down to lower that a touch.

I'm sure you already messed with that all already, but looking at your graph, I don't see it as a big problem.. Looks pretty good...

But lowering is much better then raising as you know...
Yeah, I did some playing and dropped it down quite a bit but it started to sound a little anemic so I put up the gain a little again. I think I will sit down and play some more this weekend in order to get it spot on.

Another thing; while I was doing this I tried the room correction again and it actually seemed to flatten the lower end more in a way that I supposed it should have been doing the first time around. I'm going to leave it off though and use the SMS-1 to do the tweaking but for those that don't have the SMS-1 as an option it looks like the built in room correction may be quite useful after all.

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
aren't we less sensitive to low frequencies? so a downward slope from the bottom end is actually flat to our ears?
That's actually a good point and it's something that's also crossed my mind before. What's that answer? Personal preference I guess.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis