A Loudspeaker Company's noted Bass Management settings for its products...

F

felipe

Audioholic
Hey all. I noticed that upon reading thru my speakers manual, it is noted that to set the bookshelf models to "small" when setting up your bass management ( which would be a given IMO ) and to set the tower models to "large". Why would they recommend a "large" setting for their towers? Just curious on what might be said here...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey all. I noticed that upon reading thru my speakers manual, it is noted that to set the bookshelf models to "small" when setting up your bass management ( which would be a given IMO ) and to set the tower models to "large". Why would they recommend a "large" setting for their towers? Just curious on what might be said here...
Because if the tower speaker have a good extended bass response with no lumpy bumpy response and a good power response, then setting the speakers to large, and gently adding in the sub, with the mains set to main + LFE that will give the best in room response and give the best sound over all by far.

Usually you start gently rolling in the sub a main speakers F3 + 50% and start from there. If you have measuring equipment then that helps.

I have done enough of this now to know this IS the correct advice.

However it is hard to give this as general advice, as you never know the real power capability of speakers in the last two octaves. I suspect an awful lot are really not capable of operating this way.

However I design all my larger speakers to operate this way by design. But then I don't design and build wimpy speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis