A little vent about 8k

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
I bet if you wait a year or 2 the prices on the bigger sized oled models go down you set some money back flip the one you have now and get yourself a sweet deal on a new bigger and better oled tv. That's what I would do.
Not a bad idea, didn't think of that

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Again I'm not 4k and I will guarantee you only a few displays look better, and then maybe.
I doubt any will look better. I have never been a huge video person- it has always been music, for me. I helped a friend install a Kuro and I was absolutely blown away when it turned on. The 4K TVs have a finer 'grain', but the Kuro and many other plasma TVs still look more real. I think it has to do with depth of field, more than anything- when an image is in focus from front to back, it's only real if the light level is correct and in bright light, our eyes just don't work that way. Our eyes are about f8.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
It's not that, it's the whole market, I bought the oled because I watch movies with the lights off and coming from a plasma, I dont want to look at light bleed from an led. Then i see people complaining about how oled doesnt hit the nit levels for HDR content, so that makes me question my purchase. Then the price difference between screen sizes when I was looking a 55" was about $1600, then 65" $2600 ,75" $5000, why the huge price just just for 10" and thought about projection and the cheapest 4k hdr I was was about $5000 and the sales person said the picture wouldnt even be close to the oled panel. And now my expensive blu ray player cant do Dolby vision and my preamp cant pass through 4k, well it can but it doesn't have hdcp 2.2 so it really cant.
Light bleed from an LED is mostly an edge lit LED issue. Its less of an issue with FALD LED displays, however those type of displays have their own set of issues. I just purchased a LED set coming from Plasma and the most difficult thing for me to get used to is the narrow viewing angles, I'm just about ready to return my set because of that issue alone. Also, regular Cable TV programs don't look too good on some 4K sets. I would love to get an OLED, however I'm too scared of burn-in, crushed black, panel lifespan (do to being organic) and dim picture. I could live with the dimmer picture of OLED over a light canons like the Sony LED's and Samsung QLED's. However in the back of mind I feel that HDR and Dolby Vision is bringing about a paradigm shift for the future of display technology where nits matter. The thing about OLED is that I believe they have pretty much already maxed out, they can never really get any better what they are now, they can get brighter than a LG C8 without creating a greater risk of burn-in.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I doubt any will look better. I have never been a huge video person- it has always been music, for me. I helped a friend install a Kuro and I was absolutely blown away when it turned on. The 4K TVs have a finer 'grain', but the Kuro and many other plasma TVs still look more real. I think it has to do with depth of field, more than anything- when an image is in focus from front to back, it's only real if the light level is correct and in bright light, our eyes just don't work that way. Our eyes are about f8.
I still have my Kuro for 10 years. The Plasma look better for most of today's content.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Light bleed from an LED is mostly an edge lit LED issue. Its less of an issue with FALD LED displays, however those type of displays have their own set of issues. I just purchased a LED set coming from Plasma and the most difficult thing for me to get used to is the narrow viewing angles, I'm just about ready to return my set because of that issue alone. Also, regular Cable TV programs don't look too good on some 4K sets. I would love to get an OLED, however I'm too scared of burn-in, crushed black, panel lifespan (do to being organic) and dim picture. I could live with the dimmer picture of OLED over a light canons like the Sony LED's and Samsung QLED's. However in the back of mind I feel that HDR and Dolby Vision is bringing about a paradigm shift for the future of display technology where nits matter. The thing about OLED is that I believe they have pretty much already maxed out, they can never really get any better what they are now, they can get brighter than a LG C8 without creating a greater risk of burn-in.
My DirectTV Now app on the Apple TV 4K looks great on my 4K TV but the app is a little buggy some days.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Just bought a 65" 4k oled about 10 months ago. Been upgrading my movie collection to 4k blu ray, now all I see is 8k is the big thing, new hdmi standard and they say the Tokyo Olympics might be broadcast is 8k and most providers might even skip 4k and go straight to 8k. Like what the heck. Got to buy all new equipment and replace my dmp-up800. Basically 6000 worth of home theater equipment including waiting for a pre amp with hdmi standards that can pass 8k. Frustrated :mad::mad:
In my opinion, the most important future in display technology is Micro-LED, that's going to be a game changer. Deep blacks, brighter without burn-in and panel life span concerns.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
For the price you can not beat it. The parasound does definitely sound better for music, But the outlaw model 5000 has bested any internal AVR amp I've used.
Ya on the other hand, the Outlaw model 7000x would get me 7ch although I’d be only using 5 for the foreseeable future.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just bought a 65" 4k oled about 10 months ago. Been upgrading my movie collection to 4k blu ray, now all I see is 8k is the big thing, new hdmi standard and they say the Tokyo Olympics might be broadcast is 8k and most providers might even skip 4k and go straight to 8k. Like what the heck. Got to buy all new equipment and replace my dmp-up800. Basically 6000 worth of home theater equipment including waiting for a pre amp with hdmi standards that can pass 8k. Frustrated :mad::mad:
I have two 4k TVs but have yet to explore 4k content outside of a couple of bluray discs...I bought 4k TVs because the price was so close to the 1080p sets and the selection was a lot better. Precisely what the TV manufacturers wanted to happen. Only the networks are not following with content.

I wouldn't worry too much to be honest...Considering the major networks are mostly still broadcasting live in 720p so I don't expect to see much live 4k content anytime soon. much less 8k.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I tend to agree with some of the others here, don't worry! I was just at a friends house watching his ~60" 4k. It really didn't look crisper or sharper than my 1080, even when he was playing 4k content. Our rooms are setup about the same with what I would call a typical living room viewing distance. The effect is similar to watching a 720 32-40" tv vs. 1080; if you're pixel peeping you might notice a difference. In fact, some of the well done old tv shows like Hogan's Heroes look HD on my 42" 1080, even up close. Now, it's clear they're not HD on my 1080 60. Though it still looks better than most old stuff.

The color content with the 4k video, a video made to show off HDR, looked a little better than it would on my 1080. Though, I didn't get to do a true side by side comparison.

My AVR and Roku are 4k and support 1080 even with 4k content just fine. If I needed a tv, at the current price point I would definitely go 4k. No doubt. OTOH, with the current content available, I'm not going to rush out and get a 4k. 8k isn't even on my radar screen and unless they add some new trick (HDR+???) I doubt it will be until that's all that's available and I'm in need of a new tv.
Yeah, not being able to do a side by side makes it harder to really see the differences. I have a 60 1080p plasma and a 65 4k tv. I can clearly see more detail upscaling 4k tv vs my 1080p plasma with normal HD content. 4k content is even more detail, but it's not the same as going from non-HD to 1080p. The improvement is not that noticeable.

Don't blame you...as our CRTs died off, and my 42" LCD died we replaced them with the current technology. IMO even if you're not going to chase 4k content, it makes more sense to buy a 4k TV, especially the larger screen sizes....selection, price, picture quality.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have two 4K tvs as well and my 65VT60 plasma smokes them both in picture quality. Granted the 4K tvs aren't at the top of the line just because I'm not an LCD fan and have no need to spend the money to get a OLED which, IMHO, is still an unproven technology because of the many factors @Auditor55 stated above.

What I'm gunning for is one of the new JVC 4K projectors. That's where I think 4K can shine. Not even the resolution part, but the expanded color. HDR and Dolby Vision are neat, but if the only thing that has Dolby Vision is streaming then I'm not going to care until it comes down to physical media. Even then, maybe not.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I feel exactly the same way. I'm probably going to buy the RS 2000 (to replace an RS45) at some point and keep my living room Kuro. I have a Stewart Cabaret screen that drops down in front of the plasma.

Projectors and 4K make the most sense.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That's what I wanna do in the near future get 4K projector that is HDR and Dolby vision compatible, Just waiting for the price to come down
While HDR and Dolby Vision (which is also HDR btw) are good features to have, the most important thing is how much of the BT.2020 color gamut a display can reproduce. That's the most important spec IMHO.

highfigh

highfigh

People think that more numbers mean better. Further more, they saw the jump from standard definition to high definition with 480p, 720p, and 1080p and it was stark. It’s obvious to this day. We also can see the difference in 4k when it is front of us. We marvel at what we can see in glorious 4k. But 8k is not that big of a jump. Sure, some things that are filmed in 8k are going to look way better than 4k, but not enough to make a difference at the distances that people view them. Other people might have already point it out. It has limits.
8k has its uses and will continue to do so. We might see 8k monitors, we’ll see it in specific venues, and we will probably see it in smaller devices that are held close to your face, like phones, and used for VR. However, I doubt it will ever become mainstream for home video viewing.
Match the resolution of the display to the source and it looks pretty darn good- my Panasonic plasma is only 720p but it really looks good, although the color depth makes the bands of color visible on some video images. Play a 480p video and that image looks pretty bad, at times- do the same on a 4K TV and it definitely shows its faults.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Match the resolution of the display to the source and it looks pretty darn good- my Panasonic plasma is only 720p but it really looks good, although the color depth makes the bands of color visible on some video images. Play a 480p video and that image looks pretty bad, at times- do the same on a 4K TV and it definitely shows its faults.
Wonder what tv programs would look like t providers still only offer 720-1080p... blow it up for 4-8k , both are not exactly that number!! 8000 x 4340 does not exist true 8k
Standard definition will look horrific more pixels you add . In end 1080p is best

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

highfigh

highfigh

Wonder what tv programs would look like t providers still only offer 720-1080p... blow it up for 4-8k , both are not exactly that number!! 8000 x 4340 does not exist true 8k
Standard definition will look horrific more pixels you add . In end 1080p is best

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens
Until they switch to higher res, 720/1080 is all we get now from terrestrial sources- the changeover happens on/after Oct 18, 2019.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis