A little vent about 8k

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just have to give the heart! :)
Lol!
Like you, I’m still rockin the plasma. Trying to come up with a drop down projector Planck movie nights, or go with a 70+ oled when the time comes.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Lol!
Like you, I’m still rockin the plasma. Trying to come up with a drop down projector Planck movie nights, or go with a 70+ oled when the time comes.
I loved plasmas mine went out or I'd still be on it sucks that the industry and consumers went another direction

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I loved plasmas mine went out or I'd still be on it sucks that the industry and consumers went another direction
I have my 65 4K in my small theater room and my old 2009 55 plasma in my living room.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I still have my old 2011 Panasonic plasma TV, but I'm thinking about upgrading to OLED this or next year. The plasma is just 42" and I want something bigger.

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
How do you like the Outlaw Model 5000? I’m considering one for my 5 base channels in 5.1.4
For the price you can not beat it. The parasound does definitely sound better for music, But the outlaw model 5000 has bested any internal AVR amp I've used.

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
You have an audio system that anyone would enjoy. I'd dail that system in before I ever worried about 4k let alone 8k. If your OTA then 4k is common, otherwise it's pretty much select services and bluray. It took forever for 4k titles to populate services and bluray.
Unfortunately the only tools I have to dial the system in is the YPAO and the PBK kit for the paradigm sub, and the way I have the Room set up everything is mostly askewed to the left side of the room.

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
And I love the oled, for what I use it for to watch movies in the dark you can't beat it, I'd rather have inky blacks vs brighter brights. I Just wish the extra 10" of screen size didnt cost an additional 3 grand more to go from 65 to 75

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Unfortunately the only tools I have to dial the system in is the YPAO and the PBK kit for the paradigm sub, and the way I have the Room set up everything is mostly askewed to the left side of the room.
A usb measurement mic is $100 and under USD. REW software is freeware. It can seem intimidating, but it is quite simple.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.roomeqwizard.com/&ved=2ahUKEwjo6JOZutrfAhVFT6wKHeyCDKoQFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw0cilBE2ZztaJHHqDdNQeo2
They make all in 1 systems like the dayton omni mic
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-omnimic-v2-computer-based-precision-room-measurement-system--390-792?gclid=Cj0KCQiA68bhBRCKARIsABYUGic_MuRqxnmxBXzOkRxNQeE2XqqednswJ50baX_2hCMyTFQW_QxvDGkaAjh-EALw_wcB
I like rew personally, but either will give a shot of your room responce at you listening position. From there you can address things further ...

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I tend to agree with some of the others here, don't worry! I was just at a friends house watching his ~60" 4k. It really didn't look crisper or sharper than my 1080, even when he was playing 4k content. Our rooms are setup about the same with what I would call a typical living room viewing distance. The effect is similar to watching a 720 32-40" tv vs. 1080; if you're pixel peeping you might notice a difference. In fact, some of the well done old tv shows like Hogan's Heroes look HD on my 42" 1080, even up close. Now, it's clear they're not HD on my 1080 60. Though it still looks better than most old stuff.

The color content with the 4k video, a video made to show off HDR, looked a little better than it would on my 1080. Though, I didn't get to do a true side by side comparison.

My AVR and Roku are 4k and support 1080 even with 4k content just fine. If I needed a tv, at the current price point I would definitely go 4k. No doubt. OTOH, with the current content available, I'm not going to rush out and get a 4k. 8k isn't even on my radar screen and unless they add some new trick (HDR+???) I doubt it will be until that's all that's available and I'm in need of a new tv.

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
A usb measurement mic is $100 and under USD. REW software is freeware. It can seem intimidating, but it is quite simple.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.roomeqwizard.com/&ved=2ahUKEwjo6JOZutrfAhVFT6wKHeyCDKoQFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw0cilBE2ZztaJHHqDdNQeo2
They make all in 1 systems like the dayton omni mic
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-omnimic-v2-computer-based-precision-room-measurement-system--390-792?gclid=Cj0KCQiA68bhBRCKARIsABYUGic_MuRqxnmxBXzOkRxNQeE2XqqednswJ50baX_2hCMyTFQW_QxvDGkaAjh-EALw_wcB
I like rew personally, but either will give a shot of your room responce at you listening position. From there you can address things further ...
Does that help me place things around to the room or could I use it to actually EQ the system?

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
I tend to agree with some of the others here, don't worry! I was just at a friends house watching his ~60" 4k. It really didn't look crisper or sharper than my 1080, even when he was playing 4k content. Our rooms are setup about the same with what I would call a typical living room viewing distance. The effect is similar to watching a 720 32-40" tv vs. 1080; if you're pixel peeping you might notice a difference. In fact, some of the well done old tv shows like Hogan's Heroes look HD on my 42" 1080, even up close. Now, it's clear they're not HD on my 1080 60. Though it still looks better than most old stuff.

The color content with the 4k video, a video made to show off HDR, looked a little better than it would on my 1080. Though, I didn't get to do a true side by side comparison.

My AVR and Roku are 4k and support 1080 even with 4k content just fine. If I needed a tv, at the current price point I would definitely go 4k. No doubt. OTOH, with the current content available, I'm not going to rush out and get a 4k. 8k isn't even on my radar screen and unless they add some new trick (HDR+???) I doubt it will be until that's all that's available and I'm in need of a new tv.
I personally think that's what makes the 4k worth it the hdr and Dolby vision, the thing I am scared about is what you mentioned, is there going to be more tricks to it.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Does that help me place things around to the room or could I use it to actually EQ the system?
Both. It has a placement feature on REW, and you can download filters to minidsp, behringer dcx2496, and others. If you choose to work with minidsp, they have products with Diraic Live with extremely detailed filters.

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
And why doesn't any TV streaming like YouTube TV service offer 4k streaming yet or even 5.1. Places like Netflix and vudu offer 4K Dolby vision 5.1 and atmos. So I really don't think it could be a bandwidth issue I mean it's the beginning of 2019 come on we should have way more than sufficient enough of bandwidth especially for paying $30 to $40 a month for TV services, at least give me 5.1 or 1080i with HDR

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
And why doesn't any TV streaming like YouTube TV service offer 4k streaming yet or even 5.1. Places like Netflix and vudu offer 4K Dolby vision 5.1 and atmos. So I really don't think it could be a bandwidth issue I mean it's the beginning of 2019 come on we should have way more than sufficient enough of bandwidth especially for paying $30 to $40 a month for TV services, at least give me 5.1 or 1080i with HDR
TVs make horrible streamers. At any cost they would have to pay for licensing. Add decoding for different video effectively and you tack on another 3 or 4 hundred to the cost of a set minimum. Other than TOTL displays it make no sense, yet.

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
Both. It has a placement feature on REW, and you can download filters to minidsp, behringer dcx2496, and others. If you choose to work with minidsp, they have products with Diraic Live with extremely detailed filters.
Really don't want to use an external device to eq I wasjust wondering if I could use the eq's that are already Built-in to the pre amp, and because the outlaw only has unbalanced RCA inputs I really couldn't use the Behringer, I know they make converters to unbalanced and balanced but I'm one of those crazy people that try to keep the chain simplified. And I was also thinking of getting a dual sub set up with the JTR captivator S1, So I'm also trying to save up for that. One thing I noticed from going from a cheap klipsch sub to the paradigm reference 12 was that sucker hits way lower than the klipsch ever did and shakes the chair and actually gives me an impact on what the explosion is like on the screen. I just wasn't smart enough to go dual when I bought the paradigm sub and unfortunately they don't make that sub anymore and find a used one is ridiculously overpriced.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I personally think that's what makes the 4k worth it the hdr and Dolby vision, the thing I am scared about is what you mentioned, is there going to be more tricks to it.
There will always be more tricks! As fast as technology moves, it's sometimes better relax and enjoy what you have. Even skip a generation. Maybe 8k is where I'll make the move! LOL! Or at the very least, wait till the craze is over. I'm embarrassed to say what I paid for a first generation Pioneer Elite Blu-ray player:eek:

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
TVs make horrible streamers. At any cost they would have to pay for licensing. Add decoding for different video effectively and you tack on another 3 or 4 hundred to the cost of a set minimum. Other than TOTL displays it make no sense, yet.
I did want to get a roku or an Apple TV because the Apple TV does support Dolby vision but unfortunately if I did go that route the receiver doesn't decode or pass through the HDR and Dolby vision signals to the TV due to the outdated HDMI board, and would need a streamer that has dual HDMI outputs for that, but cant find one that does

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
There will always be more tricks! As fast as technology moves, it's sometimes better relax and enjoy what you have. Even skip a generation. Maybe 8k is where I'll make the move! LOL! Or at the very least, wait till the craze is over. I'm embarrassed to say what I paid for a first generation Pioneer Elite Blu-ray player:eek:
Yeah I was going to wait but my plasma unfortunately was getting really dim and the board was time to make a buzzing sound, still worked but got the upgradeitis. Plasma was a Panasonic th-50pz800u.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Yeah I was going to wait but my plasma unfortunately was getting really dim and the board was time to make a buzzing sound, still worked but got the upgradeitis. Plasma was a Panasonic th-50pz800u.
I think the worst part of buying the Blu-ray player was there wasn't even much content available yet. By the time there was, a year or so later, an inexpensive Blu-ray player outperformed my Elite in every way. At this point, that's my thought on 4k. Plus, the improvements are, IMO, just incremental, not exponential.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I bet if you wait a year or 2 the prices on the bigger sized oled models go down you set some money back flip the one you have now and get yourself a sweet deal on a new bigger and better oled tv. That's what I would do.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis