A hawk visited this morning

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
This morning, at breakfast, we saw a hawk visiting outside on the deck, where we have some bird feeders and a bird bath. The hawk got some water, but no small birds. They vanished moments before the hawk arrived.

Peterson’s guide says it’s a Sharp-shinned Hawk, very similar in looks to the larger Cooper’s Hawk. Enjoy.
002_00001.jpg

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Smart hawk waiting for the sparrows to arrive for an easy picking. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
We used to have a regular Red Shoulder Hawk visit us, but the Crows/Ravens didn't like Sid.
*shrugs
We do have a pretty fair amount of Red Shoulder Hawks around us, though.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
We have a lot of Red Tailed Hawks, crows, vultures and owls. They seldom sit long enough for a picture tho - I've tried! The hawks here seem to not actually want to be photo'd. When they see me pull out the camera, they bolt!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
We have a lot of Red Tailed Hawks, crows, vultures and owls. They seldom sit long enough for a picture tho - I've tried! The hawks here seem to not actually want to be photo'd. When they see me pull out the camera, they bolt!
That's why I think this hawk was young and inexperienced. It may look like an adult, it lost it's juvenile feathers, but it hung out on my deck for several minutes, while I was indoors taking pictures. That's no way to catch smaller song birds. It took hours before they returned to the feeders.

That action shot of the hawk flying away was forced – I asked my wife to open the door to the deck, while I was ready to snap the shutter as he took wing.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Nice, we had a visit from A cooper's hawk a few weeks back. Snapped a couple pics, but it was way up in a tree. Have seen red tails in flight, but never in landing. I know something's been around and eating the songbirds though, every once in a while there's a puff of yellow feathers on the driveway. :eek:

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Beautiful! We too have a hawk family around our home this year. I believe they’re Cooper hawks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Nice pics!

My area (Central TX, east side) has a pretty good hawk population, so I see them pretty regular now. Before I lived in this area, I rarely saw one.

I have also seen a bald eagle once in my area. And, I see Caracara frequently. I had no idea what a Caracara was until I saw this beast and had to go look it up, kind of like a cross between an eagle and a vulture.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Youtube just put this in my feed as I was perusing this, LOL.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Great pics thanks. It's always nice to experience a little slice of nature firsthand. :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
As I was headed home from work last week, just after this thread, I saw 3 hawks!

I pass by a landfill, and these hawks love to hang out on the power lines near the landfill just scouting for vermin.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja

A story that has been showing up in headlines. I love owls; they easily take care of any rodent problems in an area.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis