a good defense against bose-ites

P

parkerbender

Audioholic
what is a good way to fight against a boseite after you tell them that their speakers are 3" $1.80 paper cone drivers, and that their innovation ended in 1970? and their rebuttal is how can you argue with a sound coming from a golf ball that could fill a football stadium? etc, etc. then looks up cnet reviews on bose systems, and feels their point is proven?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Parkbender: I cannot help but think that you have become perturbed at that other thread (Bose haters v Bose lovers). I have no reason to fight Bose fans, but...

Ignorance is bliss.
The thirsty will never cease to flock to the mirage in the desert to drink the sand.
It is easy to discern quality audio from not when you have buried your head in the sand.

Any others?

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
parkerbender said:
what is a good way to fight against a boseite after you tell them that their speakers are 3" $1.80 paper cone drivers, and that their innovation ended in 1970? and their rebuttal is how can you argue with a sound coming from a golf ball that could fill a football stadium? etc, etc. then looks up cnet reviews on bose systems, and feels their point is proven?
I invite them over to hear my system. After they hear 4 full range ESL's and 3 sub woofers they realize they've been had by Bose's marketing. They then say "those speakers are so big, I don't have room for that kind of thing". I then demo my bedroom system for them. It cost less than $2K and walks all over anything from Bose. My point to them; just about anything sounds better than Bose.:D

P

parkerbender

Audioholic
it would normally not be a big deal, but he's a close friend, and in the spirit of friendship, he insists on ragging on me every time we're together, i was just wondering if there was any articles or anything that i could point out, as i don't know anybody with a bose system, to do a comparison...

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
parkerbender said:
it would normally not be a big deal, but he's a close friend, and in the spirit of friendship, he insists on ragging on me every time we're together, i was just wondering if there was any articles or anything that i could point out, as i don't know anybody with a bose system, to do a comparison...
And your goal is???

He rags on you because he is a friend. He engages you on common ground. He does not want to be "taught", or proven wrong. He enjoys the banter. Removing this source of "bonding" would be, in my humble opinion, stupid.

You are looking too deep at this...

Get over your sensitivity and have fun with him.

Cheers, John

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can leave out the paper cone part...paper is the most neutral material for speakers period, even if it isn't expensive, it IS a quality choice for driver material.

It is Bose' size that sells, we all know that, so if you're better half makes all your decisions, I guess Bose is as good as it gets.

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Happyness is in the ear of the beholder.
Behold the Bose, they sound like crap.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Seriously, why sh*t on some ones parade. If they are happy with their Bose system, more power to them. One of my friends who cares nothing about audiophile sound, just picked up a $2500 Bose lifestyle system for $600 to put in his condo. He asked me what I thought about it and if I'll help him put the speakers up. I told him I think he got a good deal and hope he enjoys his system, and YES, I'll be glad to help him put everything up. Like I said, why sh*t on his parade? He cares nothing about audiophile grade sound. He just wants something to make movies a little more enjoyable.

Their are more important things to worry about in life than turning everyone into an audiophile. Bose is overpriced, you can get more and better for the money. Why alienate people by constantly complaining.

My $0.02

Jack

no. 5

no. 5

this makes .04 cents

Jack Hammer said:
Their are more important things to worry about in life than turning everyone into an audiophile. Bose is overpriced, you can get more and better for the money. Why alienate people by constantly complaining.
very well said jack hammer, Bose debates tend to be (at lest on forums) long and pointless.
I have a good freind who's a huge moive guy, the closest thing he has to a home theater is his brothers HTIB set-up in his basment, all he knows is that I dont like Bose, and dose'nt realy care why, his eyes glaze over when I start to tell him why.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
$600 isn't bad, but when you pay full price for one, that is another story. If someone spends $20 for a can of spaghettios then they should probably be told, "Hey, that isn't a good idea."

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Seth=L said:
$600 isn't bad, but when you pay full price for one, that is another story. If someone spends $20 for a can of spaghettios then they should probably be told, "Hey, that isn't a good idea."

LOL!! That one says it all right there.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Seth=L said:
Nice analogie:D If he had paid full price I would have tried to steer him toward something else. Though, if some one were to show me their similar system they had for a while and had paid full price for, I'd still say something nice. Unless they were looking to upgrade, then I'd make some suggestions.

It's like that scene from "Coming to America" where John Amos character show Eddy Murphy's his house full of cheesy cr@p and tell him that with twenty to thirty years of hard work he could have a place like that himself. Eddy's Character swallows and responds "You have a lovely home"

Jack

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You forget he was a prince who would be very uncomfortable drinking from a Solo cup.:D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Personally, I'm going to tell them the truth. If they get defensive, so be it. All you're doing it saving them money and getting them a better setup.

SheepStar

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
I wouldn't mind a $20 can of spaghettos if it was in a solid gold can..... :D

But the solo cup, there is no excuse for that :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
yettitheman said:
I wouldn't mind a $20 can of spaghettos if it was in a solid gold can..... :D

But the solo cup, there is no excuse for that :D
You shut up!

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
A good friend of mine has Bose in his house. He is so proud of it. Whenever he starts saying something about it, all i said is,"Ohh...Ahh...I see..". :D
Unless he asked what my opinion is, i won't say a word.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
masak_aer said:
A good friend of mine has Bose in his house. He is so proud of it. Whenever he starts saying something about it, all i said is,"Ohh...Ahh...I see..". :D
Unless he asked what my opinion is, i won't say a word.
That reminds me of when my friends ask me what I think of their girlfriends. I DON'T CARE, and they should not care either.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis