A future direction for loudspeakers?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That's true if you build your own speaker with active digital crossovers like you did. But, apparently, most or all of these commercial versions are made so the owner cannot alter the crossover itself, preventing a well-meaning but misguided owner from rapidly destroying things. They do allow some EQ tweaking at a digital level, and that may be worth having.
I do think some of these things could potentially be automated with a measurement mic, but the cost of making software to do just that would cost more than any speaker is going to return on sales.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I do think some of these things could potentially be automated with a measurement mic, but the cost of making software to do just that would cost more than any speaker is going to return on sales.
It doesn't have to be completely automated. You could measure and send in the measurement file and they send back a file for corrections (like I believe Dirac does).
If a standard controller (like DCX-24/96 was used) the platform could be shared among several companies.
Understand I am talking about stuff I know very little about, so feel free to correct me.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I like how Elac did Room calibration using customers phone/tablet on their subs
Same/similar technique could be used on active speakers I suppose.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis