• OK

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Plain crap

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters
Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
What kind of speakers were those again? ;)

Like the surrounds-hidden-in-the-plant idea, too. Hey, anything within reason to improve the WAF!

Seriously, only thing that gives me pause off the bat is the glass cabinet fronts right next to the mains and the speakers being right next to the cabinet; potential reflection and diffraction issues there IMO. Have you tried (or is it practical) to move the mains out a little further so they're a bit more forward of the cabinet (I see on second viewing that you already have them out a bit)? Maybe deadening the wall behind the speakers and/or the adjacent cabinet sides with some sound-absorbent fabric hangings or panels that aren't ugly would help, too.

Bet that rig shakes the room nicely!

Last edited:
P

Polkfan

Audioholic
Yeah, the mains are a little close to the cabinet, but they are in front of it by a couple of inches (hard to see in the photos). Imaging is actually quite good especially listening to jazz and classical. Those little RT7s create a decent soundstage. Placement is sort of forced due to space constraints.

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
Rip,

BTW, those DIY speakers you built look excellent! Nice job on those. :)

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
Ordered a new Philips DVD963SA to upgrade my system a little. Now I'll be able to play those SACD thingys... :)

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
Yeah. It was a real treat to see those guys jam. They played flawlessly.

D

dontsleep

Enthusiast
Polkfan,would you have happened to be a Maggiefan before?

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
I've added some new shots of the system with the new Philips DVD player. So far it blows the old JVC player away. :p

U

Unregistered

I bet that system sounds very good. RT7 speakers plus a PSW650 sub make a very good combination.

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
Actually, the PSW650 really kicks butt as a sub. I had the rt7s for years without it and didn't know what I was missing. The RT7 is a very good bookshelf though with ample bass. The PSW650 blends very well with them, almost like it was meant to be with them. :)

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Nice budget system polkfan! Looks like you're getting a lot for your money. Cheers.

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
Hopjohn,

Thanks for the kind words! :) Yeah, I've actually been looking at getting a turntable to play some vinyl. I've not got any vinyl records, but would like to acquire some. I used to have some years ago though. There is something appealing about a turntable. That's what I grew up listening to (records that is).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis