A deal for you coffee drinkers

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Not home theater related, but perhaps AH forum related (as I'm drinking some right now), there's a really good deal on a Keurig coffee maker today at QVC.

They have the following bundle for about $136:
  • Keurig B70 (in your choice of three colors) ($157 at Amazon)
  • My K-Cup accessory ($9 at Amazon)
  • Water filter kit ($18 from Keurig)
  • 48 K-Cup pack (about $20)
I've never purchased from QVC, but that's a good bit of savings on a nice coffee maker. I've owned a B70 for three years and love it, with my only complaint being a very loud pump. The pump was redesigned in 2007 to be much quieter, and these models should have that. The My K-Cup allows you to use any coffee that you want, which is great, but it's obviously extra work compared to using a pre-made K-Cup.

I recently replaced my B70 with the Breville BKC700XL model that currently costs $250 at Amazon (that comes with the My K-Cup and water filter kit), and the only real difference is cosmetics. The coffee maker is incredibly quiet with the redesigned pump, and I'm very happy with it. For $136, I'm incredibly tempted to get one of these bundles for my parents because I almost ordered them a B70 last weekend.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Real coffee geeks don't use pre-ground coffee. We roast our own every week and grind within minutes of brewing. :D

Jim

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Real coffee geeks don't use pre-ground coffee. We roast our own every week and grind within minutes of brewing. :D

Jim
You still can with this, Jim - you just have to make one cup at a time. :D

I am thinking about getting an espresso machine. Part of me wants to kick the coffee habit, while the other part wants to up the ante.

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
You still can with this, Jim - you just have to make one cup at a time. :D

I am thinking about getting an espresso machine. Part of me wants to kick the coffee habit, while the other part wants to up the ante.
Up the ante up the ante!!!
Sorry wrong group to try and get support for quitting something :D

I concur with home roasting. Buy a couple pounds of green coffee from sweetmaries.com and roast some in the oven or on the stove. No expensive gear to buy and you'll probably be hooked.
It not only makes for better coffee, but you can save some serious money to.

annunaki

annunaki

Jim
I was waiting for one of the fellow brethren to say something. :D

I don't roast my own but one of the local shops around here does a great job.

annunaki

annunaki

Up the ante up the ante!!!
Sorry wrong group to try and get support for quitting something :D

I concur with home roasting. Buy a couple pounds of green coffee from sweetmaries.com and roast some in the oven or on the stove. No expensive gear to buy and you'll probably be hooked.
It not only makes for better coffee, but you can save some serious money to.
Your link does not work. The site states it is coming soon?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Breville isn't known for making quality espresso machines. If you are ready to spend about $600 on a espresso machine I would recommend a Rancilio Silvia (I love mine). A little finicky, but once you get used to the machine (and there is plenty of help online) it makes a world class shot. Also, you will need a quality grinder, the grinder is more important than the espresso machine.

If you want to spend $600 on the grinder and espresso machine I hear entry level Gaggia espresso makers are solid like the Pure (about $250), but there are some features on the Gaggia Classic/Baby (about $400) that make it worth the extra money IMO. As far as a grinder goes I picked a Cunill Tranquilo, it is big and king of ugly, but does a great job and is relatively inexpensive. A Gaggia Classic or Baby and Cunill will run you just over $600.

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
Your link does not work. The site states it is coming soon?
Just glad my poor spelling didn't take you to a clown spanking p0rn site or something.

/not that there's anything wrong with that

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I'll second the opinion that a good grinder is key, especially for espresso. I got away from espresso but still have my Silvia and I use my Rocky grinder every day. The better the grinder, the more uniform the particle size and the better the extraction. Getting a good espresso machine with a cheap grinder is like buying an Ayre CD player to go with Bose speakers.

Jim

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
If you want a truly good cup of coffee, this is the baby to get. http://www.cuisinart.com/products/coffee_bar/dgb-900bc.html

It grinds the beans and then brews the coffee all in one shot. Fresh as it gets. The burr grinder does a much better job of grinding than typical blade grinders. The built in filter means that you will no longer have to taste your paper filters. The thermal craft means that you won't have to keep heat on your coffee after it's brewed. That extra heat is what makes coffee go bad.
As others have said, roasting your own beans is the way to go.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Is that an updated model or the same one that they've had for years? I can't remember if the one that I looked at a couple of years ago had a burr grinder. I lost interest when my brother, who owns one, expressed his dissatisfaction after his started acting up after not too long.

This is a slightly upgraded model over the 700. At first look, nothing has changed from the 700 to the 900. The reviews however are much different. They may have just made it more robust. Not really sure, but we love ours. We sent one to my dad last Christmas and he still loves his too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis