Has anyone had experience with Krell service or the KSA 250?

S

Supercool!

Audiophyte
I am curious about folks' experience ,if any, with the current Krell factory and specifically KSA 250 service. I have a KSA 250 which was just repaired. In my specific situation, I have spent significant $ and still have a technical issue which I expected would be taken care of. I also usually get removed parts back from service providers. When I asked about my old parts upon receiving the emailed invoice I was told they were thrown out ...because I didn't ask for them back. I was surprised by this since I usually get them back from techs I've worked with.

I'm hoping to just gather some information from folks who might have had a similar repair to vintage Krell and how it worked out. I am hoping to follow my issue further with them but they have basically told me further repair would be complicated and expensive.

Last edited:
T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I don’t have any experience with them, but I have had several audio equipment pieces repaired, and I’ve never had anyone send back the broken components. I did have one company offer to. I also had a lift installed and larger tires put on my Lexus SUV, the company was supposed to return the old tires but I forgot about it for about a week after I picked it up. I called them and they said the tire recycling company already picked them up. I just moved on with my life, I have bigger things to worry about.

edit add: what don’t you like about the service they did, you should provide photos

S

Supercool!

Audiophyte
Well, the KSA 250 is a classic powerful amplifier for which they provide legacy service.

Yes, I also never get parts back from car repairs, but in high end and vintage audio that is often a little different for a number of reasons including future salability to another collector. I usually get them back from vintage techs with whom I've worked. My issue with the service is a specific technical issue that I am still pursuing so I don't want to say any more. I was just hoping just to increase my available information that might be out there to try to find a resolution.

Last edited:
T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Well, the KSA 250 is a classic powerful amplifier for which they provide legacy service.

Yes, I also never get parts back from car repairs, but in high end and vintage audio that is often a little different for a number of reasons including future salability to another collector. My issue with the service is a specific technical issue which was what I immediately inquired about and was assured would be taken of and it was not. Upon bringing this up I got lots of too late to use info but no adequate understanding why I wasn't given this information (since I specifically inquired) before doing the work.
Here and on other reputable audio forums, you’re going to get a lot of pushback if you don’t give more details. Nobody is interested in company bashing and that’s how this comes across. Please say what the issue is and what question they didn’t answer, photos would also help people better respond.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I am curious about folks' experience ,if any, with the current Krell factory and specifically KSA 250 service. I have a KSA 250 which was just repaired. In my specific situation, I have spent significant $ and still have a technical issue which I expected would be taken care of. I also usually get removed parts back from service providers. When I asked about my old parts upon receiving the emailed invoice I was told they were thrown out ...because I didn't ask for them back. I was surprised by this since I usually get them back from techs I've worked with.

I'm hoping to just gather some information from folks who might have had a similar repair to vintage Krell and how it worked out. I am hoping to follow my issue further with them but they have basically told me further repair would be complicated and expensive.
It is all about the Service provider and if they're Krell authorized you shouldn't have issues after a service from an amplifier of all pieces of gear.

The company McIntosh had/has recommended to me always returns all parts replaced during service, but I wouldn't be worried if they didn't. They are also local to me, so I didn't have to send it out via ground transportation.

S

Supercool!

Audiophyte
TankTop5, I understand your point. I have amended my post to be more neutral and to explain specifically my reason for this which is not to "bash" anyone but to get some information that might be helpful. Let me be even more specific to avoid conflict (I hope):

My inquiry in my original post was not intended to bash Krell but to explain my specific experience which is completely anecdotal. I have amended it. It was a question to help with an issue I'm having. I have heard that their new gear is outstanding and that they made a strong impression on many at the recent AXPONA. It is also wonderful that they still provide legacy service.

The technical issue is not important and I have no intention of "litigating " it here.. It is that something I discussed with them before deciding to do the repair and which I believed I was reassured would be fine was not.. now I am told it would be complicated and expansive to take it further based on the model era. My issue is it would have been helpful in deciding to do the repair to be told about this when I inquired before the repair. Finally I've always believed vintage parts replaced should be returned as a matter of course and that has been my experience after many such repairs. Others may view that expectation as unreasonable, I don't.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
The rather extensive power supplies in the old Krells may make repairs a bit of a poor value proposition. Krell's fully regulated supplies are quite complex, moreso even than an entire amplifier if it's a run of the mill a/b amp with an unregulated supply.

Sounds like the repair shop overpromised and underdelivered. I suspect digging in further really would be more complicated and expensive, so you'll have to decide if it's worth it or not. Vintage Krell make for interesting gadgets, they really do double down and you could potentially arc weld with one, but as cool as that is, all you need your amp to do is amplify.

Last edited:
S

Supercool!

Audiophyte
I've got Westlake BBSM 10's with a 3.2 ohm nominal impedance and they sing with the Krell so I guess I'm in for the long haul. I 've had other amps sound good on the WLs but with the Krell there is a muscular presentation that increases the palpability of of leading edges.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I've got Westlake BBSM 10's with a 3.2 ohm nominal impedance and they sing with the Krell so I guess I'm in for the long haul. I 've had other amps sound good on the WLs but with the Krell there is a muscular presentation that increases the palpability of of leading edges.
A couple of Hypex modules and you don't have to be in it for the long haul and will save money in the long run and get you better performance from an amp.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
A couple of Hypex modules and you don't have to be in it for the long haul and will save money in the long run and get you better performance from an amp.
NCx500 stereo amp for about $1500 delivered to the US would crush the Krell. If it were me that’s the route I’d go, keep the Krell for nostalgia though

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
NCx500 stereo amp for about $1500 delivered to the US would crush the Krell. If it were me that’s the route I’d go, keep the Krell for nostalgia though
If the Krell had pretty face glass plate I might, lol. Seriously though, I sold all of my McIntosh gear for *more* than I paid for it, hated to see it go but I'm not lifting heavy amps again :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am not surprised your Krell gave up the ghost. The minimum impedance of those speakers is 2 ohm. I have to say I have been in a number of Westlake studios and I have always thought they sounded pretty dreadful. Your speakers have a passive crossover to the sub at 55 Hz. That is nuts.

I would never own that type of a contraption and expect it to blow up any amp they are connected to.

S

Supercool!

Audiophyte
Please re read my posts. Your understanding that something blew up or impedance is an issue at all is erroneous. The amp and speakers sound wonderful. My issues are stated above in my posts and they should speak for themselves.

And yes, I have heard many great speakers sound bad in poorly designed studio environments or in places where they were set up with a specific set of desired outcomes like those in a studio that does rap or rock as opposed to Jazz. As you probably understand, there are many different studio environments, compromises, desired outcomes, and tastes of all types of interested parties. I've always found the non-horn Westlakes to have the characteristics of refined speakers with the gutsiness to function in demanding studio settings. YMMV

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Please re read my posts. Your understanding that something blew up or impedance is an issue at all is erroneous. The amp and speakers sound wonderful. My issues are stated above in my posts and they should speak for themselves.

And yes, I have heard many great speakers sound bad in poorly designed studio environments or in places where they were set up with a specific set of desired outcomes like those in a studio that does rap or rock as opposed to Jazz. As you probably understand, there are many different studio environments, compromises, desired outcomes, and tastes of all types of interested parties. I've always found the non-horn Westlakes to have the characteristics of refined speakers with the gutsiness to function in demanding studio settings. YMMV
Dr. Mark tends to describe issues he has experienced over the years, sometimes he provides full accounts which may come across differently or include more information than most might. He may have missed your actual issue, FWIW.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Dr. Mark tends to describe issues he has experienced over the years, sometimes he provides full accounts which may come across differently or include more information than most might. He may have missed your actual issue, FWIW.
No, I stand by what I said. An impedance of 3.2 ohms and minimal impedance around 2 ohms is not a competent design, and I don't care who did it, or how referred the brand is.

In addition passive crossovers as low as that are in no way optimal. In addition the speaker lay out is non optimal and has to have adverse lobing issues.
Those are not state of the art speakers by a long shot. I would never do a design and build like that.

S

Supercool!

Audiophyte
Well, there you go...you win! Can we stop now?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just what is this technical issue that wasn't resolved, tho? If you want replaced/defective parts returned to you, you generally need to request this up front (unless that is the repair facilities stated practice), whether "vintage" audio gear or other products.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
No, I stand by what I said. An impedance of 3.2 ohms and minimal impedance around 2 ohms is not a competent design, and I don't care who did it, or how referred the brand is.

In addition passive crossovers as low as that are in no way optimal. In addition the speaker lay out is non optimal and has to have adverse lobing issues.
Those are not state of the art speakers by a long shot. I would never do a design and build like that.
He was asking about the additional repairs to have his amplifier brought up to spec and @ski2xblack mentioned why it is little more complex because of the type of power supply.

I also understand what you're saying about how the amplifiers issue likely came about. If he can get it repaired to spec he could probably sell it, get a Hypex or similar and come close to break even, that would solve the issue you have laid out and allow him to keep the speakers he enjoys. Maybe even design a filter for the low woofers?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Just what is this technical issue that wasn't resolved, tho? If you want replaced/defective parts returned to you, you generally need to request this up front (unless that is the repair facilities stated practice), whether "vintage" audio gear or other products.
I think this is credit to that Krell amp, that it powered those speakers for as long as it did. I suspect after powering those speakers for so long, there are multiple power supply and output stage issues.

Most power amps would have give "up the ghost" long before this one. These speakers are way out of spec to be driven by my beloved 909 amps. But of course I would NEVER have designed and built a speaker with a load like that in any event. It would have been rejected right away.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis