96in 2.35:1 screen worth it?

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Better contrast and black on the jvc.

The epsons are brighter and better at hdr.

iirc the 6050 versus 5050 it is the same functionality but they claim for the extra thousand dollars you get the best measuring units and a “free“ bulb and mounting plate?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Better contrast and black on the jvc.

The epsons are brighter and better at hdr.

iirc the 6050 versus 5050 it is the same functionality but they claim for the extra thousand dollars you get the best measuring units and a “free“ bulb and mounting plate?
Well I really don’t want to spend an extra grand for that. Have you personally seen the 5050 in action? That’s the one I want but I wish it was black

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Also the dealers where I live don’t sell jvc, all epsons. I’ll obviously be able to see an epson in action but not jvc. I would just like to know I’ll be getting good black levels, sharp picture and bright vibrant colors that pop with the epson

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
People I trust tell me if I couldn’t afford the jvc the epson is the one to get. If You can find a prior gen jvc* like the one you mentioned in good shape used it might be about the same price as the epson. But the main difference is not color or sharpness but just black levels/contrast, and there the jvc wins on sdr content.

The epson 5050 is king at its price point.

*they had similar models for three years and all but the first of those years could handle hdr ok

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
People I trust tell me if I couldn’t afford the jvc the epson is the one to get. If You can find a prior gen jvc* like the one you mentioned in good shape used it might be about the same price as the epson. But the main difference is not color or sharpness but just black levels/contrast, and there the jvc wins on sdr content.

The epson 5050 is king at its price point.

*they had similar models for three years and all but the first of those years could handle hdr ok
Ok thx. So I assume you have a jvc? Idk if you will know but are the black levels/contrast like way better on the jvc compared to the epson?

M

modojojo

Audiophyte
Also the dealers where I live don’t sell jvc, all epsons. I’ll obviously be able to see an epson in action but not jvc. I would just like to know I’ll be getting good black levels, sharp picture and bright vibrant colors that pop with the epson
I have the Epson 5050UB and the black levels are awesome, I was about to get the JVC NX5 but my basement has a ambient light issue, so the Epson does a better job for me.The 5050UB and the 6050UB are basically the same, I couldn't justify and extra grand for a back plate, extra bulb, the color black and a ifs certification

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Ok thx. So I assume you have a jvc? Idk if you will know but are the black levels/contrast like way better on the jvc compared to the epson?
Yes I have the jvc. Yes it has a step better black levels in a pitch dark room. It’s still not completely black.

That said, if I had to buy again today I wouldn’t hesitate to get an Epson if it fit the budget better and especially if I was watching more HDR.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I have the Epson 5050UB and the black levels are awesome, I was about to get the JVC NX5 but my basement has a ambient light issue, so the Epson does a better job for me.The 5050UB and the 6050UB are basically the same, I couldn't justify and extra grand for a back plate, extra bulb, the color black and a ifs certification
Hey thx man, I was hoping someone that owns a 5050 would chime in on this. I’ve been interested to know how the picture is with the 5050. All the dealers around me carry epson and I have not been able to go check it out yet in action. And yes I want the color black because my basement is gray/black but I’m not going to spend an extra grand for that

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Yes I have the jvc. Yes it has a step better black levels in a pitch dark room. It’s still not completely black.

That said, if I had to buy again today I wouldn’t hesitate to get an Epson if it fit the budget better and especially if I was watching more HDR.
I’m really in to 4K movie discs and Blu rays

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
I would probably get the Epson if I was watching lots in HDR. At present, while that gen JVC (like mine) can be manipulated to look decent with HDR, it has less output *and* lot less flexibility with HDR....so I end up watching most 4k UHD converted to SDR.

M

modojojo

Audiophyte
I’m really in to 4K movie discs and Blu rays
Keep In mind, as good as the 50 or 6050UB Is, they are not true 4k projectors They do pixel shifting. They will give you a better resolution than 1080p.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I understand it’s not true 4K but everything I’ve been reading says it’s so close and you really can’t tell a difference at normal seating distances. Is this true?

Another thing and this may be dumb question but I also realize I’m not going to have the brightness of a tv on a projector screen, how close/good is the picture of a projector compared to a tv? I’m still going to pull trigger on a screen/projector but dk how close in picture quality tv/projector really are since I’ll be a first timer.

Everything I’ve been reading and the videos I’ve seen of projectors in action, I’ve got to say the clips of movies playing or still shots the pictures that are thrown look awesome. Idk if it’s because I’m looking through my phone or what but the pictures look great and like you’re looking at a great 4K tv. Now again I could be way off in my thinking and sound dumb for asking but I’m going to get a great picture with a nice screen and any of the projectors we’ve talked about?

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
There may be some content where a true 4k projector may give you a touch more sharpness than these faux K machines. But at the sizes you are talking about for your room, at your seating distance, that would be rare.

Unless you want to step up to a JVC NX5 (probably $1500 more, street, than the 5050) any true 4k machine is going to look worse than the Epson because the Epson has better color, better contrast, better black levels and good handling of HDR.

---

Versus a TV? Well, in a dark room with the lights out, with a screen your size, with the projectors you are talking about, you could choose to make it painfully bright so I wouldn't worry about that aspect of flat panel TVs. (No, you won't get the extreme HDR specular highlights, but that's a different thing.)

You won't get the black levels of an OLED because, well, OLED goes infinitely black. But you will have a better projected image than just about any commercial cinema, rivaling the best IMAX and Dolby Vision theaters. Is that as good as a "TV"? I dunno, I think that's better!

M

modojojo

Audiophyte
There may be some content where a true 4k projector may give you a touch more sharpness than these faux K machines. But at the sizes you are talking about for your room, at your seating distance, that would be rare.

Unless you want to step up to a JVC NX5 (probably $1500 more, street, than the 5050) any true 4k machine is going to look worse than the Epson because the Epson has better color, better contrast, better black levels and good handling of HDR.

---

Versus a TV? Well, in a dark room with the lights out, with a screen your size, with the projectors you are talking about, you could choose to make it painfully bright so I wouldn't worry about that aspect of flat panel TVs. (No, you won't get the extreme HDR specular highlights, but that's a different thing.)

You won't get the black levels of an OLED because, well, OLED goes infinitely black. But you will have a better projected image than just about any commercial cinema, rivaling the best IMAX and Dolby Vision theaters. Is that as good as a "TV"? I dunno, I think that's better!
All true, The 5050UB definitely gives you a cinema like experience, especially in a room where you will have some low level of light. I wish I had a dedicated home theater room, my basement Is more of a family room but I made It work. You'll be happy with the 5050/6050UB

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Nice setup man. I thought about doing a drop down screen and keeping my tv behind it like you have but I don’t think I’ll be able to do it.

I appreciate you guys answering my questions, I’m sure you get asked the same questions all the time. Since I’m going to be a first timer with a projector I’ve got to ask so I can understand what I’m getting into. Another question, how loud is the fan noise on both of your units in the different fan speeds? When Nate gave me the link to find my throw distance it gave me a range but 13ft 6in was highlighted in the middle which would be just in front of my main seat in second row. I don’t want to be distracted by the fan if it’s obnoxiously loud

M

modojojo

Audiophyte
With the 5050UB I believe The fan noise is dependent on the level of brightness you run it at. When I watch movies I run my projector at a standard level not at max brightness and my AVR is right below or at reference level. So I hear no fan noise.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
With the 5050UB I believe The fan noise is dependent on the level of brightness you run it at. When I watch movies I run my projector at a standard level not at max brightness and my AVR is right below or at reference level. So I hear no fan noise.
Ok thx man

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
While it is common to really go back and forth and get feelings of confusion, please understand that when you are talking about the differences between the Epson 5050, the JVC RS540, or even the JVC NX5, you aren't talking about night and day differences. They are all upper tier models and deliver excellent performance. They each have some hits and misses, but the misses aren't really misses either. That is, they just aren't as good as they could be overall. Some of this falls into areas where one technology has a history of simply performing better. JVC hits a black floor which others can't quite reach. LCoS has faster pixel technology than LCD, but slower than DLP. LCoS has the highest fill factor, but pixel shifting helps to completely eliminate this as an issue.

All technologies deliver excellent colors and color saturation after calibration. From cheap DLPs to expensive models. So, there isn't much worry there. You get better lenses on the more expensive models which allow for greater placement flexibility, and often better focus and image uniformity.

At the end of the day, if you were to see a JVC on one day and an Epson a few days later, you might be quite hard pressed to know they are different models.

With your screen size and viewing distance, I wouldn't expect any complaints of sharpness or brightness whatsoever.

I think the 5050 is an excellent choice if you don't feel comfortable dumping the cash on the more expensive JVC models. When talking about 'very good' projection, I think the 5050 is a tough model to beat, and certainly nothing beats it without spending $1,000+ more, and then it doesn't beat it by a lot.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
While it is common to really go back and forth and get feelings of confusion, please understand that when you are talking about the differences between the Epson 5050, the JVC RS540, or even the JVC NX5, you aren't talking about night and day differences. They are all upper tier models and deliver excellent performance. They each have some hits and misses, but the misses aren't really misses either. That is, they just aren't as good as they could be overall. Some of this falls into areas where one technology has a history of simply performing better. JVC hits a black floor which others can't quite reach. LCoS has faster pixel technology than LCD, but slower than DLP. LCoS has the highest fill factor, but pixel shifting helps to completely eliminate this as an issue.

All technologies deliver excellent colors and color saturation after calibration. From cheap DLPs to expensive models. So, there isn't much worry there. You get better lenses on the more expensive models which allow for greater placement flexibility, and often better focus and image uniformity.

At the end of the day, if you were to see a JVC on one day and an Epson a few days later, you might be quite hard pressed to know they are different models.

With your screen size and viewing distance, I wouldn't expect any complaints of sharpness or brightness whatsoever.

I think the 5050 is an excellent choice if you don't feel comfortable dumping the cash on the more expensive JVC models. When talking about 'very good' projection, I think the 5050 is a tough model to beat, and certainly nothing beats it without spending $1,000+ more, and then it doesn't beat it by a lot.
Once again thank you for the feedback and I’m sure you guys get frustrated having to answer the same questions over n over. But since I’m a member here I’ve got to ask you guys for advice/experiences so I can understand because I’ve never owned a projector but it’s time that I do, I’m tired of not having that big movie screen experience.

As far as the extra 1000+, no I don’t want to drop that. The only complaint I have is why epson doesn’t have the option for their higher end models of having the choice of black or white without costing extra money. To me this is dumb and the consumer should have the option without having to pay extra to have black. I’d much prefer black for the projector since it would go with my room a lot better but I’m not spending an extra grand for that.

I’m sure I’m going to have more questions and I’ll definitely be asking you guys. I’ve been looking at elite screens since they do make a 96” diagonal 2.35:1 screen in white but it’s not available at the moment but I haven’t called them yet either to talk with someone. Silver ticket from what I looked at doesn’t make the screen size I need but I have not called them either. I’ve looked at SI and Draper but I’m not spending 1500+ or more on a screen. Elite does a gray one in stock but I need white. Maybe you guys have some suggestions?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis