86 Inch TV VS 110 Inch Projector

ProjectionHead

ProjectionHead

Audiophyte
UST projectors or "Laser TVs" as they are being commonly referred to are VERY hot right now as a television alternative.

When paired with a proper ALR screen for UST projectors you can get up to a 120" image in a well lit environment.

The Vava is the least expensive of the bunch, but for a couple hundred more you can get a much better Optoma CinemaX-P2 or Samsung LSP7T.

K

Kosta

Junior Audioholic
UST projectors or "Laser TVs" as they are being commonly referred to are VERY hot right now as a television alternative.

When paired with a proper ALR screen for UST projectors you can get up to a 120" image in a well lit environment.

The Vava is the least expensive of the bunch, but for a couple hundred more you can get a much better Optoma CinemaX-P2 or Samsung LSP7T.
Thank you for your reply.

I really like the concept of UST projectors which don't require installation and long cables. The UST projectors I have been looking at are exactly the ones you mentioned. Especially the samsung one with the HDR10+ and filmmaker mode which sounds almost too good to be true. I will be waiting for reviews before I believe these specs

Also the fact that the P2 is cheaper than its predecessor is nice but I am not sure if it's an upgrade or a downgrade compared to the P1 since even though it has a slightly better contrast, it uses a 6 color wheel instead of an 8 one for colors.

Another feature I am looking for in a projector is replaceable laser. According to an optoma assistant on amazon the laser of the P1 is not user replaceable but you can contact them and ask them to change it for you once its life is over. As far as I know, you cannot change the lasers on the LG and JVC projectors but I don't know about Samsung. The fact that I want to be able to change the laser limits my options and I really hope Samsung follows optoma's steps because, on paper, I really like the projector.

ProjectionHead

ProjectionHead

Audiophyte
Thank you for your reply.

I really like the concept of UST projectors which don't require installation and long cables. The UST projectors I have been looking at are exactly the ones you mentioned. Especially the samsung one with the HDR10+ and filmmaker mode which sounds almost too good to be true. I will be waiting for reviews before I believe these specs

Also the fact that the P2 is cheaper than its predecessor is nice but I am not sure if it's an upgrade or a downgrade compared to the P1 since even though it has a slightly better contrast, it uses a 6 color wheel instead of an 8 one for colors.

Another feature I am looking for in a projector is replaceable laser. According to an optoma assistant on amazon the laser of the P1 is not user replaceable but you can contact them and ask them to change it for you once its life is over. As far as I know, you cannot change the lasers on the LG and JVC projectors but I don't know about Samsung. The fact that I want to be able to change the laser limits my options and I really hope Samsung follows optoma's steps because, on paper, I really like the projector.
The 6 segment wheel is actually an improvement over the 8 segment wheel. Per my Optoma rep:

"The CinemaX P1 has an 8 segment wheel RGBYRGBY, the yellow section was used to increase the light output of the projector. New developments allow us to achieve the same light output but without the yellow segment of the color wheel.

The 6-segment RGBRGB color wheel delivers a wider color range and more vivid color reproduction. It enhances red, green and blue hue, saturation, and brightness for a more natural and accurate color."

You are not going to find a unit with a replaceable laser however and no manufacturer is publishing any potential costs for laser replacement as with a 20,000+ hour lifespan these things will rock for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 10 years. That's the equivalent of a full time job and the odds are it will not be used that much and you will be ready for an upgrade long before that light engine burns out.

K

Kosta

Junior Audioholic
The 6 segment wheel is actually an improvement over the 8 segment wheel. Per my Optoma rep:

"The CinemaX P1 has an 8 segment wheel RGBYRGBY, the yellow section was used to increase the light output of the projector. New developments allow us to achieve the same light output but without the yellow segment of the color wheel.

The 6-segment RGBRGB color wheel delivers a wider color range and more vivid color reproduction. It enhances red, green and blue hue, saturation, and brightness for a more natural and accurate color."

You are not going to find a unit with a replaceable laser however and no manufacturer is publishing any potential costs for laser replacement as with a 20,000+ hour lifespan these things will rock for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 10 years. That's the equivalent of a full time job and the odds are it will not be used that much and you will be ready for an upgrade long before that light engine burns out.
That's good to know! I found it really odd that their next gen projector looked like a downgrade but it looks like I was missing important info about their color wheel technology.

When it comes to media consumption I am worse than a junkie :D Movies, series, gaming, Concerts and even the background art on blu ray audio! 8 hours is too much but I spend an average of 6 hours per day on media consumption (including music) and you know how it goes with gaming... Some times you get carried away which I assume is easier to happen when you own a home theater system :)

In any case, even with a realistic scenario of 6 hours per days, it will still last over 10 years but I don't like the idea of throwing away my 3.5K+ investment after only 10 years. I say "only" because I am not the type of person, or rather, I cannot afford to be the person who saves money for new equipment every few years. I was able to save 8K over the years and I want to spend half for sound and half for the projector. I don't know when I will be able to afford new equipment again and I would like the option to extend its life if necessary. I can even sell it eventually for 1/3 or even 1/4 of the price to buy a new one which I cannot do if there are only 1-2K hours of laser life left...

You are right, noone is publishing prices on laser replacement so before I choose I will make sure to contact both optoma and samsung support to ask for an estimate. Since Optoma openly said that they are planning to support laser replacement I don't see why they would withhold the price for this service.

ProjectionHead

ProjectionHead

Audiophyte
That's good to know! I found it really odd that their next gen projector looked like a downgrade but it looks like I was missing important info about their color wheel technology.

When it comes to media consumption I am worse than a junkie :D Movies, series, gaming, Concerts and even the background art on blu ray audio! 8 hours is too much but I spend an average of 6 hours per day on media consumption (including music) and you know how it goes with gaming... Some times you get carried away which I assume is easier to happen when you own a home theater system :)

In any case, even with a realistic scenario of 6 hours per days, it will still last over 10 years but I don't like the idea of throwing away my 3.5K+ investment after only 10 years. I say "only" because I am not the type of person, or rather, I cannot afford to be the person who saves money for new equipment every few years. I was able to save 8K over the years and I want to spend half for sound and half for the projector. I don't know when I will be able to afford new equipment again and I would like the option to extend its life if necessary. I can even sell it eventually for 1/3 or even 1/4 of the price to buy a new one which I cannot do if there are only 1-2K hours of laser life left...

You are right, noone is publishing prices on laser replacement so before I choose I will make sure to contact both optoma and samsung support to ask for an estimate. Since Optoma openly said that they are planning to support laser replacement I don't see why they would withhold the price for this service.
Optoma had told me at some point regarding a different projector model that the laser replacement may be around $600, but that was not "official" but I think it is a reasonable expectation. Please update us with what Optoma & Samsung tell you directly.

K

Kosta

Junior Audioholic
Optoma had told me at some point regarding a different projector model that the laser replacement may be around $600, but that was not "official" but I think it is a reasonable expectation. Please update us with what Optoma & Samsung tell you directly.
Yes, sounds like a reasonable amount considering the 10+ year extension. I will make sure to let you know about their reply when I contact them!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis