8 track tape players - have you seen what the market is - Why ?

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Talk about memory lane. :rolleyes:

You also had to have one of those "special aligator clips" with the feathers hanging from the rear view mirror in that Camaro :p
Or fuzzy dice over the mirror & bongo's in the rear window.

Or If you were a geezer you had a bobble head dog in the rear window:eek:

And.............if you were an idiot you had a pet rock:D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
And, how many guys you knew had...

...one of those spring-loaded reverbs?

Even then I knew they were drek but hey, some people loved 'em.

Gotta say though, they were fun when going over bumpy roads. Kinda like yer own private thunderstorm.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
An 8 track was unlike a cassett tape or a reel to reel tape,im no expert but i was heavily into 8 tracks when they were a new medium so i'll try to explain what made them different from other tapes.

The whole method of 8 track was flawed right from the start,

BTW,the match book trick that majorlooser described above was used to correct problems caused by the head not moving properly.
Absolutely great answer. It brought back memories of yesteryear. My high school years. At night. That big Chevy. Wonderful backseat. Those crappy Jensen speakers in the rear deck cranking as hard as they could. Old Mary what-is-her-name jumping into the front seat to fix the tape.

Yes, it was a wonderful sight, even if the music was a little weak

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I had a '77 Lincoln Mark V with a factory quadraphonic 8 track a couple of years ago. One of my friends at work had a huge collection of 8 tracks and lent me one of his prized quadraphonic tapes to check out the player, but sadly, it was toast. (But it didn't eat his tape, fortunately.) I think if it did work, he wanted to buy it to put in his new car.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Did someone mention eight tracks:D Check these out. The car deck is a Craig Powerplay with an included amp. 25 watts, if I remember correctly. I still have the manual somewhere but I'm too lazy to do an all out search.

Attachments

Last edited:
stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Oh boy,the memories:mad: How's about platform shoe's,my best pair of platforms were purple suede :eek: i swear they musta weighed 5 lbs each but they were a perfect match with elephant bell hip huggers & tie dyed shirts;)

I still cant figure out what happened to all the hair i used to have,it used to reach my belt line now the only hair i have is in my ears:eek:
HAve you seen my photo?

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
And if you wanted the best in car audio 8 track you bought the Pioneer super tuner that mounted under the dash with the cool lookin round tuner section:D

Or of you were broke as a joke you just bought the Sparkomatic FM converter & hooked it into the factory AM radio.:eek:
Heh, I have a Quadraphonic Superscope TD-48 8-track Player my system. It actually sounds quite well with certain tapes. It doesn't have very high in certain instances fidelity however. (The CD Player still kills in in clarity.)
I do have a Sparkomatic and a Panasonic 12VDC Player for cars... however, I can't easily mount them in a Neon :D :p I wish....

I need an old Reel-to-Reel for some very old tapes. I have tapes that haven't been played in 40 years from my grandpa... and I would love to transfer them to CD.

NYyankeeboi

NYyankeeboi

Junior Audioholic
Somehow I feel I started memory lane with my post, but I havent been around much lately, I've been doing a google search on, El Camino's, 8-tracks, reel to reels, alligator clips, polyester leisure suits, platform shoes and pet rock's..I am surprised nobody brought up Mary Jane, shame on you people turning your back. lol...haha

Thanks for the explanation, I asked my parents about it, they had a "nutshell" explanation of it. I'm glad I know the indepth story, but I doubt I'll be looking for one soon....

Last edited:
Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Somehow I feel I started memory lane with my post, but I havent been around much lately, I've been doing a google search on, El Camino's, 8-tracks, reel to reels, alligator clips, polyester leisure suits, platform shoes and pet rock's..I am surprised nobody brought up Mary Jane, shame on you people turning your back. lol...haha

Thanks for the explanation, I asked my parents about it, they had a "nutshell" explanation of it. I'm glad I know the indepth story, but I doubt I'll be looking for one soon....
You may as well keep going and look up Pinto's, Vega's, mood rings, earth shoes and afro's.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=242018#post242018

Also, does anyone remember seeing the Babs Streisand/Kris Kristoferson movie/remake "A Star is Born"? Kris drove a Ferrrari with a center console 8-Track.

I also remember almost breaking up with my high school girl friend over the fact that she wanted a factory installed 8-Track player in her brand new Pontiac Pheonix while I was pushing for her to get the cassette because I had an aftermarket cassette in my 67 "vette" (cor not che).

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm surprised 8 tracks hung in as long as they did.

Mudcat;253998I also remember almost breaking up with my high school girl friend over the fact that she wanted a factory installed 8-Track player in her brand new Pontiac Pheonix while I was pushing for her to get the cassette because I had an aftermarket cassette in my 67 "vette" (cor not che).[/QUOTE said:
I once picked up a used '82 Caddy De ville that had a factory original 8 track. The worst thing about it is that those 8 track to cassette converters wouldn't fit that car.

That was quickly replaced with a RatShack Dolby cassette radio. Never had one regret...

...dunno, if I'd ditch an otherwise fine woman over this, though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis