7 hz to 20 hz how do I allow powered subwoofer to play at this range

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
LOTS and LOTS of very large sealed subs with ass load of eq and add load of power.

Or a rotary sub!!!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
LOTS and LOTS of very large sealed subs with ass load of eq and add load of power.

Or a rotary sub!!!
No, it's impossible to get sealed subs to produce those low frequencies in an acceptable efficiency manner. But the Danley DTS10 goes down to10 Hz and doesn't need ridiculous power. A 1,000 watt amplifier will drive it. Already quoted in Post #39.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
No, it's impossible to get sealed subs to produce those low frequencies in an acceptable efficiency manner. But the Danley DTS10 goes down to10 Hz and doesn't need ridiculous power. A 1,000 watt amplifier will drive it. Already quoted in Post #39.
Well it certainly isn’t easy, or cheap. But I have seen sweeps of subs in the single digits measured with very expensive calibrated mics.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, however infra-sounds are not perceivable to humans. Elephants can hear low frequencies in those ranges but not humans.
Yeah, they are. Sub-10Hz frequencies can cause nausea and have been used for crowd control. We don't actually hear these frequencies, we feel them and we definitely react to them when they're strong enough. Ever felt a semi drive past while you were on a bridge, or when you walked/had to stop in a car on a bridge? Even wind can cause low frequency oscillations and if you have heard of 'Galloping Gertie', it refers to the bridge over the Tacoma Narrows, in Washington state. The design of the bridge, lack of traffic and gale force wind caused it to oscillate so violently that it gave way and fell from the towers.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, they are. Sub-10Hz frequencies can cause nausea and have been used for crowd control. We don't actually hear these frequencies, we feel them and we definitely react to them when they're strong enough. Ever felt a semi drive past while you were on a bridge, or when you walked/had to stop in a car on a bridge? Even wind can cause low frequency oscillations and if you have heard of 'Galloping Gertie', it refers to the bridge over the Tacoma Narrows, in Washington state. The design of the bridge, lack of traffic and gale force wind caused it to oscillate so violently that it gave way and fell from the towers.

There are a few pipe organs around the world which have a 64 foot stop. But there is one which has a 128 foot stop with a fundamental resonant frequency of 4 Hz. I suspect that a low frequency vibration like this can cause serious problems to people:

And there's the biggest organ in the US at the Macy's Center City in Philadelphia with over 28,000 pipes:

highfigh

highfigh

There are a few pipe organs around the world which have a 64 foot stop. But there is one which has a 128 foot stop with a fundamental resonant frequency of 4 Hz. I suspect that a low frequency vibration like this can cause serious problems to people:

And there's the biggest organ in the US at the Macy's Center City in Philadelphia with over 28,000 pipes:

I posted a few years ago about the restoration of the organ in Atlantic City, NJ and when I played some tracks from YouTube, I found that those tracks would be the perfect material to demonstrate the need for a subwoofer because the lowest frequencies were causing modulation in the mids from my speakers. I don't use a sub and the effect was similar to speaking through an electric fan that's slowing from normal speed. The music I listen to doesn't have low frequencies to this extreme but if it did, I would definitely be using larger woofers and possibly a sub.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never noticed this one before, nice resurrection. Wonder what nonutin ended up doing....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't use a sub and the effect was similar to speaking through an electric fan that's slowing from normal speed. The music I listen to doesn't have low frequencies to this extreme but if it did, I would definitely be using larger woofers and possibly a sub.
I probably asked you this before, but I definitely have CRS syndrome!
What speakers do you use, if you don't mind sharing?
I know that you were in Home Audio Sales for several years (decades?) so it is always a curiosity, given your exposure to many speakers and presumably access to discounted pricing, to know what you chose for your own system!
I presume based on your comments about low frequencies that this is primarily a "for music" system.
Thanks!

highfigh

highfigh

I probably asked you this before, but I definitely have CRS syndrome!
What speakers do you use, if you don't mind sharing?
I know that you were in Home Audio Sales for several years (decades?) so it is always a curiosity, given your exposure to many speakers and presumably access to discounted pricing, to know what you chose for your own system!
I presume based on your comments about low frequencies that this is primarily a "for music" system.
Thanks!
I built them, with help from TLS for the crossovers. The previous ones were annoying me to the point that I had to do something and, being the curious sort, I wanted to see if I could do something that satisfied me. If the fact that I haven't changed anything in five years is any indication, I would say they do. I can't say they're perfect, but they don't cause my ears to become fatigued and the sound is very balanced, to my ears and from what I see on the display when I run REW. I also did a direct comparison to some Dynaudio speakers that I was going to install and I was happy with what I heard. Since I used Peerless and Vifa drivers, they had a 'familial' sound.

I knew my room had some issues and I corrected them by using some panels to absorb a bit of the sound (I used REW to watch the response as I placed and moved the panels). The panels do a great job of eliminating the big 'suckout' in the 60-100Hz range and at this point, the low end is smooth down to the mid-30Hz range.

I care more about music, but the sound for TV and movies is very good- even special effects have a lot of impact and when something wants to rumble, they definitely do that. I don't listen to Rap or Hip Hop, but I know how it's supposed to sound (from doing car audio) and it's pretty decent for that, too. Human voices are extremely natural-sounding and I initially tested that by watching and listening to tracks with people I know. It sounds like they're in the room with me. One was being interviewed on the radio and when he made a comment, I unconsciously responded to it. That was weird. Because his comment was about someone with the same first name as mine, I actually sent an e-mail to find out if he was referring to me. I should mention that next time I see him.

Selling speakers and being able to afford them are two different things.

WRT extremely deep bass, I had that until just before I bought my house- I had a pair of Electrovoice 30W woofers in corner-loaded cabinets and they had originally been used for the bass pedals of a church organ. OMG! Unfortunately, the cabinets would never have fit through the doors and I didn't want to break them apart or tear out a door frame.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis