7 hz to 20 hz how do I allow powered subwoofer to play at this range

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
30 cu. ft.? Is that really what you meant to say?
A cube 3 ft. on each side is 27 cu. ft.
Given what he said in one of this other posts about wanting to sit on it. I'm guessing that size is accurate. From what I'm gathering, he doesn't want to pressurize the whole room, he wants to be able to feel those frequencies.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Given what he said in one of this other posts about wanting to sit on it. I'm guessing that size is accurate. From what I'm gathering, he doesn't want to pressurize the whole room, he wants to be able to feel those frequencies.
I remember one of my ergonomics professors mentioning that one tractor company had a prototype tractor where the resonant frequency of the suspension shook the driver at 7Hz, and it was impossible to drive over a few feet (over rough terrain to excite the vibrations) before the driver was essentially getting shaken apart.
But we are probably talking a few inches amplitude at the seat!

N

nonutin

Enthusiast
You win the award for interpreting the slightly daft. I actually want to lie down for about an hour and feel the vibrations.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You win the award for interpreting the slightly daft. I actually want to lie down for about an hour and feel the vibrations.
Can we know why? Just to be able to do this is going to cost a fair amount of money and time.

N

nonutin

Enthusiast
I remember one of my ergonomics professors mentioning that one tractor company had a prototype tractor where the resonant frequency of the suspension shook the driver at 7Hz, and it was impossible to drive over a few feet (over rough terrain to excite the vibrations) before the driver was essentially getting shaken apart.
But we are probably talking a few inches amplitude at the seat!
Therefore I will randomly change the frequencies between 7 and 14 hz. Also I do not plan to drive while lying down on the speakers. :)

On your other post you may have hit on something I had not thought of: The possibility that this could be a cure for constipation. Formerly I thought it would be only for me but with your input I realize that it has broader applications. :)

N

nonutin

Enthusiast
Can we know why? Just to be able to do this is going to cost a fair amount of money and time.
I believe that sound waves can be very healing. I have experienced this using a small device.

I had hoped that I could just tweak a used powered subwoofer and then I could have what I want. Being non-technical, I wanted to see if my plan was reasonable. Obviously not but I did not know.

What is your guess of the cost of this project? I am thinking I will use some type of vibrating disks to accomplish my goal because I assume the subwoofer avenue is too expensive.

Thanks

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I believe that sound waves can be very healing. I have experienced this using a small device.

I had hoped that I could just tweak a used powered subwoofer and then I could have what I want. Being non-technical, I wanted to see if my plan was reasonable. Obviously not but I did not know.

What is your guess of the cost of this project? I am thinking I will use some type of vibrating disks to accomplish my goal because I assume the subwoofer avenue is too expensive.

Thanks
Thousands of dollars, including build time. Are you talking about vibrations or sound waves penetrating the body? If all your after is massaging vibrations, a massage chair or the buttkickers screwed to a chair will get you there.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This looks like it might do the job for the massaging vibrations approach.

I would definitely contact the manufacturer about your intended use. The Spec. says 5Hz to 200Hz. You may be able to find one set up for demonstration at a local pro music store (such as Guitar Center)

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/lfe-kit

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ButtKicker-LFE-Kit-103245338-i1134181.gc?source=4WWRWXG9&gclid=Cj0KEQjwpM2pBRChsZCzm_CU0t4BEiQAxDVFmuHEWSOAwHc3KjUEzMjsys53UIJ_1M0MRQ6Id_UJtkQaAvNN8P8HAQ&kwid=dynamicsearchads-device^c-account^Guitar+Center+@ADL4+Google+@ADL4+US-campaign^[ADL]+[Non@ADL4Brand]+[US]+[Enhanced]+Test+@ADL4+Keywordless-adid^67679782933-adgroup^Dynamic+Search+Ad+Group

You would need to add a frequency generator (probably can use computer as source) or just download the frequencies you want here:
http://www.wavtones.com/functiongenerator.php

Don't forget the Depends!;)

http://www.amazon.com/Depend-Incontinence-Maximum-Absorbency-X-Large/dp/B007JL49VE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429481530&sr=8-1&keywords=depends+real+fit+for+men

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It might not take as many sealed 18"s to hit 7 Hz as you would think. It depends on the room size, and it also depends on the drivers used. The Re XXX drivers or the Stereo Integrity HST18, for example, have a ton of displacement. Depending on the room and the listeners distance from the drivers, you could probably get some infrasonic sensations with only a handful of such drivers. Given the scenario the OP outlined, that of laying down on a bed of woofers, I don't think displacement will be a problem. You will want very good drivers for such a project, as it would be easy to generate louder harmonic distortion than fundamental in chasing after these frequencies. You will need multiple drivers so as not to push any individual driver so hard that THD becomes a factor.

There is still some serious challenges that have to be met though, even after getting the requisite amount of displacement for necessary SPL. First, you have to have a way to measure subsonic output, so you need the right mic and measuring equipment. You will need to preserve the signal chain for ultra deep bass. Many components such as cheap AVRs can roll off deep bass below 20 Hz. You have to insure no part of the signal chain rolls anything off. However, if all you are doing is playing tones, that shouldn't be a problem, just connect a pro-audio sound card to the amplifiers and play a tone generator.

One thing the OP may be mistaken about is the physiological effects of 7 - 14 Hz bass. I have never read any account of it being healing or relaxing, and I have been over a good chunk of the publicly available literature. On the contrary, I have read accounts of unpleasantness and so on. From wikipedia's page on infrasound:
"The presence of the tone resulted in a significant number (22%) of respondents reporting anxiety, uneasiness, extreme sorrow, nervous feelings of revulsion or fear, chills down the spine, and feelings of pressure on the chest." Some supposedly 'haunted locations' were found to have the presence of infrasound frequencies which were thought to be the true source of unease and paranoia.

In the end, it would be an interesting project and not hugely expensive. I would start out with maybe three or four HST18s and feed them about 1kW each. That wouldn't set you back more than $3k, not including the appropriate mic you need to insure you are cleanly hitting target frequencies and SPLs.

N

nonutin

Enthusiast
It might not take as many sealed 18"s to hit 7 Hz as you would think. It depends on the room size, and it also depends on the drivers used. The Re XXX drivers or the Stereo Integrity HST18, for example, have a ton of displacement. Depending on the room and the listeners distance from the drivers, you could probably get some infrasonic sensations with only a handful of such drivers. Given the scenario the OP outlined, that of laying down on a bed of woofers, I don't think displacement will be a problem. You will want very good drivers for such a project, as it would be easy to generate louder harmonic distortion than fundamental in chasing after these frequencies. You will need multiple drivers so as not to push any individual driver so hard that THD becomes a factor.

There is still some serious challenges that have to be met though, even after getting the requisite amount of displacement for necessary SPL. First, you have to have a way to measure subsonic output, so you need the right mic and measuring equipment. You will need to preserve the signal chain for ultra deep bass. Many components such as cheap AVRs can roll off deep bass below 20 Hz. You have to insure no part of the signal chain rolls anything off. However, if all you are doing is playing tones, that shouldn't be a problem, just connect a pro-audio sound card to the amplifiers and play a tone generator.

One thing the OP may be mistaken about is the physiological effects of 7 - 14 Hz bass. I have never read any account of it being healing or relaxing, and I have been over a good chunk of the publicly available literature. On the contrary, I have read accounts of unpleasantness and so on. From wikipedia's page on infrasound:
"The presence of the tone resulted in a significant number (22%) of respondents reporting anxiety, uneasiness, extreme sorrow, nervous feelings of revulsion or fear, chills down the spine, and feelings of pressure on the chest." Some supposedly 'haunted locations' were found to have the presence of infrasound frequencies which were thought to be the true source of unease and paranoia.

In the end, it would be an interesting project and not hugely expensive. I would start out with maybe three or four HST18s and feed them about 1kW each. That wouldn't set you back more than $3k, not including the appropriate mic you need to insure you are cleanly hitting target frequencies and SPLs.
Thank you and everyone who posted for their help. Originally I had no idea of what I was asking. I now realize I am after vibrations rather than sound waves. Youtube reviews and other forum reviews of the Buttkicker have indicated it does not do well the infrasonic zone. Therefore I will talk to Clark Synthesis, tomorrow. If there is another transducer company I should consider, I would welcome the information.

N

nonutin

Enthusiast
This looks like it might do the job for the massaging vibrations approach.

I would definitely contact the manufacturer about your intended use. The Spec. says 5Hz to 200Hz. You may be able to find one set up for demonstration at a local pro music store (such as Guitar Center)

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/lfe-kit

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ButtKicker-LFE-Kit-103245338-i1134181.gc?source=4WWRWXG9&gclid=Cj0KEQjwpM2pBRChsZCzm_CU0t4BEiQAxDVFmuHEWSOAwHc3KjUEzMjsys53UIJ_1M0MRQ6Id_UJtkQaAvNN8P8HAQ&kwid=dynamicsearchads-device^c-account^Guitar+Center+@ADL4+Google+@ADL4+US-campaign^[ADL]+[Non@ADL4Brand]+[US]+[Enhanced]+Test+@ADL4+Keywordless-adid^67679782933-adgroup^Dynamic+Search+Ad+Group

You would need to add a frequency generator (probably can use computer as source) or just download the frequencies you want here:
http://www.wavtones.com/functiongenerator.php

Don't forget the Depends!;)

http://www.amazon.com/Depend-Incontinence-Maximum-Absorbency-X-Large/dp/B007JL49VE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429481530&sr=8-1&keywords=depends+real+fit+for+men
Sorry for the delay in answering your post but I just got back from the pharmacy. You would be surprised at how many options there are for your suggestion.

I believe I will use a transducer but probably a Clark Synthesis.
Thanks

N

nonutin

Enthusiast
Why are you not just getting a massage chair?

I have owned expensive massage chairs in the past. This is not what I want.

I may get a recliner and attach a clark synthesis transducer to it so that the chair vibrates at a frequency randomly from 7 to 14 hz. That is now my plan. If my lack of technical knowledge has created a non-working monster, please tell me.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
A little late to the party, but some years ago, a friend had a sub in his car that would hit infrasonics. It was fun to drive around with no sound coming from the car, watching windows shake in stores and the expression on peoples faces was priceless.
There are also bass CDs available that have these freq ranges.
It really is fun to experience.
Sometimes its not about the practical, sometimes its just the fun of it. ;)

Ericrowan

Ericrowan

Audiophyte
Thousands of dollars, including build time. Are you talking about vibrations or sound waves penetrating the body? If all your after is massaging vibrations, a massage chair or the buttkickers screwed to a chair will get you there.
Sorry for digging this old post. It suddenly caught through my eyes. Are you still need such chairs in budget??

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I want to have a powered subwoofer to play at mainly the 7 to 14 hz range. I will use a computer to input the signals. What will I need to change to allow this. Most subwoofers are rated above 20 hz. I am aware that I will be only pushing air and not sound that I can hear. thanks
Old thread, but if anyone comes here looking for the answer to this:

How? You don't. Your sub won't do it, your room won't allow it, the amplifier can't possibly provide enough power and you can't hear it.

The questions and comments show a great lack of knowledge about sound and equipment. Pushing air ALWAYS results in sound.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The Danley Labs DTS10 goes down to 10 Hz and weighs 285 lbs:

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Old thread, but if anyone comes here looking for the answer to this:

How? You don't. Your sub won't do it, your room won't allow it, the amplifier can't possibly provide enough power and you can't hear it.

The questions and comments show a great lack of knowledge about sound and equipment. Pushing air ALWAYS results in sound.
Yes, however infra-sounds are not perceivable to humans. Elephants can hear low frequencies in those ranges but not humans.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis