7 channel focal or klipsch for home theatre

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
Im in the middle of doing my theatre room and I'm starting to think about moving speakers around my house. heres a list of gear first off

Home theatre - Focal aria 926, focal aria CC900, paradigm sides and rear.

main floor - Monitor audio silver 2 bookshelves

Im looking to buy new sides and rears for when my rooms done downstairs. So i was looking at the focal aria sr 900 to do both. My other option now is move my focal 926 towers to the main floor where i watch tv, some movies and music, as i feel I'm not getting to use them as much as i would like. Then i would buy all klipsch for downstairs as I've read they are pretty good for home theatre. All i do downstairs is watch movies and some times video games. I also don't really use the theatre in the summer time mostly winter when its too cold to do anything else.

So option a would be focal sr 900's lets say ($1500) or option B and sell some of my gear i wouldn't use anymore (monitor auto silver 2's. an amp and centre channel) for around $1500 and spend about $2000 on new gear and then i would only really be spending $500.

i ran this all by the wife thinking she would get pissed but she didn't seem to be so now I'm starting to think about it some more.
any opinions if this is a smart idea??

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I can't comment on the Aria but I have heard another pair of Focals (I can't think of the model) and I'd say both the klipsch and focal head to head there was no clear winner. You're right, klipsch is hard to beat for home theater without going to pro gear. This is especially true if you have a large room or intend to listen at or near reference levels, as they handle dynamic swings with ease. I personally like the new reference premiere series for music as well, but that boils down to individual preference.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
When I search about klipsch I’ve been seeing everyone say the new rp line is better. Pricing everything out I would have to go with 160m book shelves to stay in my budget. It’s not a very big room so might be ok. I watch movies normally at -10 and want to make sure I don’t feel like I downgraded in dynamics if I make the switch

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
When I search about klipsch I’ve been seeing everyone say the new rp line is better. Pricing everything out I would have to go with 160m book shelves to stay in my budget. It’s not a very big room so might be ok. I watch movies normally at -10 and want to make sure I don’t feel like I downgraded in dynamics if I make the switch
I've managed to fill a 20x12x8 room seated 12' away to reference levels (0dB) with the 160m and 250c just fine. At - 10dB you should have no problems. Also I'd recommend buying from eBay, look for "open box" deals, they're not really open box, it's just that Klipsch requires they be listed as such when sold below the MSRP. Should be able to get them for about $350 a pair. The RP-250c can match the performance of the 160m and is about as sensitive due to the dual woofers. How wide is the room and how far from the fronts and surrounds are you?

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
The room is about 12x20 I believe. But opens up a slight to an L shape. But I may have answered my own question. I moved my focals to the main floor and with placement ect I don’t think they are a good fit. My main floor tv is in a small corner setup and the one speaker is almost jammed in there and the other is partially blocked by the end of the couch. They sound amazing on movies so I guess they will stay downstairs. The monitor audio silver 2 are great for what I need upstairs and almost suite it better for placement.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I've managed to fill a 20x12x8 room seated 12' away to reference levels (0dB) with the 160m and 250c just fine. At - 10dB you should have no problems. Also I'd recommend buying from eBay, look for "open box" deals, they're not really open box, it's just that Klipsch requires they be listed as such when sold below the MSRP. Should be able to get them for about $350 a pair. The RP-250c can match the performance of the 160m and is about as sensitive due to the dual woofers. How wide is the room and how far from the fronts and surrounds are you?

Is the RP series that much better than the original series? Maybe I need to give them a listen. :)

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Is the RP series that much better than the original series? Maybe I need to give them a listen. :)
Yes. They have all of the benefits of the old series without the harsh shrillness due to the redesigned horn.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Do you like the center or do you recommend a bookshelf speaker from the RP series?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm a believer in the RP series! First time I can point a Klipsh horn right at the LP without feeling assaulted. I enjoy HT on my earlier RF-82 ii's immensely, but I definitely don't aim them directly at the LP. Using a horn allows for better dynamics from the tweeter (because the driver doesn't have to move as far to generate the SPL). Also, because the tweeter is not having to work so hard to produce low notes at volume, it can go lower (XO around 1700Hz IIRC) to allow the mid-woofer to focus on a lower range than a typical dome tweeter could.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I'm a believer in the RP series! First time I can point a Klipsh horn right at the LP without feeling assaulted. I enjoy HT on my earlier RF-82 ii's immensely, but I definitely don't aim them directly at the LP. Using a horn allows for better dynamics from the tweeter (because the driver doesn't have to move as far to generate the SPL). Also, because the tweeter is not having to work so hard to produce low notes at volume, it can go lower (XO around 1700Hz IIRC) to allow the mid-woofer to focus on a lower range than a typical dome tweeter could.
For 5.1.4 atmos, they have the RP140SA. I wonder if 4 of those for atmos facing down to the listening position would be good for atmos or if the 5800 series ceiling speakers that have different tweeters would work.
Also I’m assuming the bipolar for sides would be a bad idea and the RP150M would make sense...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
For 5.1.4 atmos, they have the RP140SA. I wonder if 4 of those for atmos facing down to the listening position would be good for atmos or if the 5800 series ceiling speakers that have different tweeters would work.
Also I’m assuming the bipolar for sides would be a bad idea and the RP150M would make sense...
I'm just 5.1 with Klipsch across the front. I put Mirage OMD-5 in the back with the thought that omnidirectional was a positive for using as surrounds (right or wrong). I'm a luddite when it comes to HT:rolleyes:!

@yepimonfire has Atmos setup and may have some advice on that and hopefully comment on my recommendation below.

I think you are right about not going bipolar. However, I am of the opinion that the surrounds are just not that critical. I got this opinion from listening to parts of a couple of favorite movies with the front 3 disconnected to see what content was in the surrounds and it just wasn't much! Try it and form your own opinion. IMHO, unless you just want to match brands out of some sense of aesthetic, there is not much reason to use Klipsch for the rear. If you already have decent surrounds, use them. If you don't have any surrounds, at $74/pair, I think these will do a great job (as well as being convenient to mount - light and no port to allow clearance for) and let you put your money into other things. They may seem too cheap to be decent, but they are on close-out and these really target the role of a surround speaker so no money is going into trying to play bass:
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Bookshelf-Surround-Speaker-Special/dp/B01EYJZYQ2/ref=sm_n_se_dkp_US_pr_sea_0_0?adId=B01EYJZYQ2&creativeASIN=B01EYJZYQ2&linkId=05fe750d1cf30a0b424866f19a940e54&tag=delt-20&linkCode=w42&ref-refURL=https://www.dealnews.com/search.html&slotNum=0&imprToken=1xUlV7aWxo7XE-VzQiLoRA&adType=smart&adMode=search&adFormat=grid&impressionTimestamp=1532960585491&th=1

Full disclosure: I have not actually heard these speakers, but have yet to hear a bad contemporary speaker from JBL. They are Amazon Prime, so easy return if they don't meet expectations.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I'm just 5.1 with Klipsch across the front. I put Mirage OMD-5 in the back with the thought that omnidirectional was a positive for using as surrounds (right or wrong). I'm a luddite when it comes to HT:rolleyes:!

@yepimonfire has Atmos setup and may have some advice on that and hopefully comment on my recommendation below.

I think you are right about not going bipolar. However, I am of the opinion that the surrounds are just not that critical. I got this opinion from listening to parts of a couple of favorite movies with the front 3 disconnected to see what content was in the surrounds and it just wasn't much! Try it and form your own opinion. IMHO, unless you just want to match brands out of some sense of aesthetic, there is not much reason to use Klipsch for the rear. If you already have decent surrounds, use them. If you don't have any surrounds, at $74/pair, I think these will do a great job (as well as being convenient to mount - light and no port to allow clearance for) and let you put your money into other things. They may seem too cheap to be decent, but they are on close-out and these really target the role of a surround speaker so no money is going into trying to play bass:
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Bookshelf-Surround-Speaker-Special/dp/B01EYJZYQ2/ref=sm_n_se_dkp_US_pr_sea_0_0?adId=B01EYJZYQ2&creativeASIN=B01EYJZYQ2&linkId=05fe750d1cf30a0b424866f19a940e54&tag=delt-20&linkCode=w42&ref-refURL=https://www.dealnews.com/search.html&slotNum=0&imprToken=1xUlV7aWxo7XE-VzQiLoRA&adType=smart&adMode=search&adFormat=grid&impressionTimestamp=1532960585491&th=1

Full disclosure: I have not actually heard these speakers, but have yet to hear a bad contemporary speaker from JBL. They are Amazon Prime, so easy return if they don't meet expectations.
Ok, I understand you are not an HT guy but does the trombone sound like a trombone? :)

I’ll give the towers an audition before I get ahead of myself. Thanks. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ok, I understand you are not an HT guy but does the trombone sound like a trombone? :)

I’ll give the towers an audition before I get ahead of myself. Thanks. :)
That makes sense.

Strangely, the "regular" price on those JBL surrounds shows as $79 according to Amazon. MSRP is $200/pr and they were discounted on closeout to $79 and have now been further discounted to $74.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
That makes sense.

Strangely, the "regular" price on those JBL surrounds shows as $79 according to Amazon. MSRP is $200/pr and they were discounted on closeout to $79 and have now been further discounted to $74.
Pretty sure I will try to match up all 9 speakers unless I find something that contradicts what yepimonfire stated. And yes I will get a 2nd Rythmik sub too. :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Im in the middle of doing my theatre room and I'm starting to think about moving speakers around my house. heres a list of gear first off

Home theatre - Focal aria 926, focal aria CC900, paradigm sides and rear.

main floor - Monitor audio silver 2 bookshelves

Im looking to buy new sides and rears for when my rooms done downstairs. So i was looking at the focal aria sr 900 to do both. My other option now is move my focal 926 towers to the main floor where i watch tv, some movies and music, as i feel I'm not getting to use them as much as i would like. Then i would buy all klipsch for downstairs as I've read they are pretty good for home theatre. All i do downstairs is watch movies and some times video games. I also don't really use the theatre in the summer time mostly winter when its too cold to do anything else.

So option a would be focal sr 900's lets say ($1500) or option B and sell some of my gear i wouldn't use anymore (monitor auto silver 2's. an amp and centre channel) for around $1500 and spend about $2000 on new gear and then i would only really be spending $500.

i ran this all by the wife thinking she would get pissed but she didn't seem to be so now I'm starting to think about it some more.
any opinions if this is a smart idea??
I vote all Focals, but I am biased.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Yep! Here i am. The bread crumbs in the butter!
Kurt, I have to ask about your experiment to listen to just the surrounds during movie playback. Which movies were they? And more so, I’m sure you know that’s not really a fair test. As the information in the surround channels is discrete it is also supposed to work with the center and mains to form a cohesive sound field. IMO, your test was like checking for stereo imaging with 2.1 with only one speaker.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
That makes sense.

The JBL Arena 120 and Arena B15 are the same -- the B15 was a special addition, the grill color and logo are somewhat different, all else the same. Amazon is the one with the special deal on the B15

The Arena 120
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Arena-120-Black-Wall-mountable/dp/B00W5YE820

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry, I forgot about this one.
Yes. On the previous Reference series, you could get the sound very good, but you had to do some precision positioning/toe-in of the speakers. The RP series is much easier to work with. Start with them pointed straight at you, then ease them away if they are more forward than you would like!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yep! Here i am. The bread crumbs in the butter!
Kurt, I have to ask about your experiment to listen to just the surrounds during movie playback. Which movies were they? And more so, I’m sure you know that’s not really a fair test. As the information in the surround channels is discrete it is also supposed to work with the center and mains to form a cohesive sound field. IMO, your test was like checking for stereo imaging with 2.1 with only one speaker.
I don't really remember. I know one of them was an Avengers movie (the one with the flying aircraft carrier).
My test was not to evaluate the sound quality of the surrounds; it was to evaluate the content. At the time, I had Paradigm Signature S-2's as my mains and the Mirage OMD-5's for my surrounds. I was already comfortable with the sound quality of the Mirage speakers. I had happily used them for music (and, later, as surrounds). Certainly, side by side, they sound about as different as they could from the S-2's given their omnidirectional dispersion.
What I primarily remember hearing while listening to the surrounds alone was very muffled speech (ambiance from the dialog), indistinct crowd/traffic noise, falling debris, ricochets, rain, etc. There was nothing that would be distinctly definable by me as inappropriate if some nuance of the sound wasn't quite right. IOW, it may be the case that the sound of a ricochet is not exactly what it should be for the specific caliber of bullet glancing off of a specific material, but those are not sounds I know well enough that I would ever hear anything wrong.
If there was a scene where the point of view was from someone in a straight trench looking at the enemy (perpendicular to the line of the trench) and the person directly to either side spoke to me, then I would get much more interested in making sure the surrounds were a very close match to the mains. Human speech is a sound that we assign audible characteristics to critically. However, I have never seen a movie do this. The camera always pans to the person who speaks even if the reality is you would not look at them because you are sighting down your rifle waiting for the enemy to expose himself!
If you know of a movie that is particularly demanding of the surrounds, I would like to check it out. However, IME, I have yet to watch one where the surrounds have critical content. Although I suspect there is at least an experimental one or two out there.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry, I forgot about this one.
Yes. On the previous Reference series, you could get the sound very good, but you had to do some precision positioning/toe-in of the speakers. The RP series is much easier to work with. Start with them pointed straight at you, then ease them away if they are more forward than you would like!
Is lobing an issue with the RP klipsch centers?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis