7 channel amp recommendation?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Gotcha. Those sources will remain the same, so therefore that point is moot.

Pre-pro/amp upgrade will be an upgrade to all of those situations.

I was assuming the reply was more technical.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you tried simply raising the source level in your avr for a given source for greater output? Or does that induce shut down even earlier in pre-amp mode?

(page 90 in your manual)

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Have you tried simply raising the source level in your avr for a given source for greater output? Or does that induce shut down even earlier in pre-amp mode?

(page 90 in your manual)
The unit is toast. Completely shuts off when volume is increased no matter the source. Off, as in off.

New pre-pre will be here mon/tue.

Trying not to hi-jack the thread.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The unit is toast. Completely shuts off when volume is increased no matter the source.

New pre-pre will be here mon/tue.
So assume before it was toast you didn't try this feature? Good luck with the new unit!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
So assume before it was toast you didn't try this feature? Good luck with the new unit!
The source was not out of gain. The amp was out of gas. Increasing the source level in a situation where there was still plenty of output from the Pre is moot.

We are talking about separates, not an AVR. The RX-Z7 was being used as a pre-pro in pre-amp mode from day 1.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
With 2.4v input, I would be able to reach the amps output spec at 6dB lower gain compared to 1.2v from the same unit under the same circumstances. That should clearly result in a better situation.
Depending on the design, that may not be the case. If you look at the ATI's, the gain remains the same regardless of balanced (2.4V) or unbalanced (1.2V). In the case of Bryston, there is a 6 dB difference in gain, but the output remains the same because they want you to flip that input selector switch, so the preamp volume position will be the same in each case, in order to get the same output from the power amp at the same volume position.

The ATI specs show the same SN ratio, the Bryston's shows 3 dB better with the input selector set for balanced input. I have read most of the S&V bench tests on power amps and noticed that very often, like 50/50, XLR didn't do better in SN, sometimes 1-2 dB better, somethings worse, overall about the same.

Balanced connection's benefits are for noise reduction in long interconnects, though for truly balanced amps such as ATI's top models, you can expect some reduction in even order harmonics. Still, for short runs of interconnects, the overall benefits of balanced connections, or even balanced amplifier from input to output, could be debatable. Like other things, it depends....

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Good stuff.

Gonna set-up the pre-pro with the old Adcom, and see how it goes.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
When I bought my current receiver in 2015, it didn't have 4k video, and was purely 7.1. Now it has 4k video, streaming, Wi-Fi, and will soon have 4 more channels of pre-amp output for Atmos and Dirac Live for room correction/calibration.

My cost was $700 for the receiver initially, then $200 more for the 4k video upgrade. The streaming/wi-fi capability was gifted to me by the dealer. The last bit will cost me $550. That adds up to more than the $1300 a new NAD T758v3 costs today with all of those functions installed and working, but I've got a couple years of using a good-sounding receiver and get to keep it.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
The new amp is on the way. It is a STEAL, and I will share info once I know it is ligament. It looks to be the find of the century!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis