7.2.4 or 5.2.4 for my room?

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Hi
In the process of building my theater and can't decide whether to go for 7 or 5. Looking for some input from folks that have had or heard both. I do not have the surrounds yet but the fronts are RBH T2's, the center is a T1 and the (4) Atmos units are SV-615's. The surrounds will be SV-61's.
I was looking at making the columns deeper and putting the surrounds in there but have moved them for better aesthetics and made them more shallow to allow room to go up on the riser. I'm now wall mounting the surrounds and putting sconces on the columns.
As for the AVR I have not decided on it for sure but am leaning towards the AVR-x6500h since it will have all the amp channels I need for either choice. Hoping Amazon will put it back on sale soon. Any other suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Your room looks big enough, you could probably do 7 channels on the bed layer IMO.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi
In the process of building my theater and can't decide whether to go for 7 or 5. Looking for some input from folks that have had or heard both. I do not have the surrounds yet but the fronts are RBH T2's, the center is a T1 and the (4) Atmos units are SV-615's. The surrounds will be SV-61's.
I was looking at making the columns deeper and putting the surrounds in there but have moved them for better aesthetics and made them more shallow to allow room to go up on the riser. I'm now wall mounting the surrounds and putting sconces on the columns.
As for the AVR I have not decided on it for sure but am leaning towards the AVR-x6500h since it will have all the amp channels I need for either choice. Hoping Amazon will put it back on sale soon. Any other suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Thanks!
I agree with rynosaur...you have enough depth in the room to do 7...I would wire for 7, install 5 and see how you like it, expand if you feel something is missing or just ready for an upgrade.

There's more 7.1 content out there than I originally realized so I wouldn't let that stop me from going 7.1, but the majority of them are discs...not much from the streaming sites.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
With the right AVR, I would almost consider a 5.x.6 setup. But I used to enjoy video games quite a bit, and the Rears in many of my favorite games were used to great effect. Another interesting tidbit is that some DTS5.1 audio discs I have are coded to use a Rear Center, not the normal Front Center. The processing sends the Rear Center signal to the Stereo Rears instead.
As to a 5-channel bed layer, most material is seemingly made for that configuration. Several people have stated that the rears just don’t do enough to justify them.
Who is correct? :p
Personally, I’ve considered experimenting with a single Rear Center to see if I could do 6 channels of Atmos. My current rears are wall-mounted at about 7’ due to a closet on one side of the room. I could see myself then setting up Atmos using Front Height, Top Middle, and Rear Height.
Why? Because that seems like it might maximize my room better. It’s small, 11x15’, ~2000’3 with a sloped clerestory ceiling.
The point being there is no right or wrong. I think most important is knowing and understanding Dolby’s recommendations well enough to be able to adapt them to any room. As it is, that is the key that gets overlooked all to frequently, IMO! The most successful rigs are the ones in a room which is considered as a part of the system itself, and it very much is. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1) 7.2.4 or 5.2.4

2) fronts are RBH T2's, the center is a T1 and the (4) Atmos units are SV-615's. The surrounds will be SV-61's.
BTW, great speakers! :D

1) I think since you have 2 rows of seats, might be good to have 2 sets of side surrounds - one for each row, so 7.2.4.

My room is 26' L x 22' W x 14' H. But I only do 5.2.4 because I only have 1 row of seats.

2) The Atmos ceiling speakers are the VA-615 speakers, right?

For my 5.2.4, I have five RBH SX-T2/R for the 5 "bed speakers" and four VM-815/FB-C8 for the ceiling Atmos speakers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I would put in rear backs I think. Because of the door and projector you might have trouble centering them. Where are you going to put the Atmos ceiling speakers?

I think the surrounds should be behind your front row, but in front of the rear on that rear column. Tweeters should be 60" above the floor for the surrounds and rear backs.

I'm doing my second AV room build in the new home we are building. I have been posting pictures as I go.

One important pint, yes, a vital point. Lay no studio cables without them being in conduit. NO EXCEPTIONS.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
BTW, great speakers! :D

Thanks!!

1) I think since you have 2 rows of seats, might be good to have 2 sets of side surrounds - one for each row, so 7.2.4.

2) The Atmos ceiling speakers are the VA-615 speakers, right?

No, they are the SI-615. Here is the link.
https://rbhsound.com/si615.php

For my 5.2.4, I have five RBH SX-T2/R for the 5 "bed speakers" and four VM-815/FB-C8 for the ceiling Atmos speakers.
Very nice! I got mine several years ago as a dealer demo and have just opened the boxes to try them out. Talk about taking a chance! :oops:

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for all the replies, good people. Seems like different strokes for different folks. What a surprise, ha-ha..It does seem like the prevailing choice is 7.2.4, however.

Totally agree with you, ryanosaur, about the room being a part of the system. I plan on sending my final room layout with detailed dimensions and specifics to GIK for room treatment suggestions. That should help a lot! At least if it doesn't blow my budget. I spoke with a local business to get ideas and pricing for my room and they were really pushing treatments from Artnovian...to the tune of $10-20,000. I don't think so.

As for an AVR I am looking primarily at the Denon AVR-X6500 and either the Anthem 1120 or 720, depending on what I can get one for. Seems to be several of the AVM60's around used for close to half price but by the time you add an amp or two for the 11 channels I am at or over the same price as an 1120. I'm looking at the Anthem because of the supposedly better room correction (yes, I've read the whole AVR comparison thread) and because it has several stereo RCA jacks. I have some legacy equipment I would like to hook up so those will come in handy.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Where are you going to put the Atmos ceiling speakers?
This is the layout suggested to me.

First row atmos 5'-4" and 9' center to center apart.
Second row atmos 17' and 9' center to center apart.

Side surrounds 11'-6" to center and tweeters 53" above the floor (lower level, not riser).
Rear surrounds 8' apart center to center and tweeters 46" above the riser.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
Hi
Thanks!
I’ve got a pair of T2/R for mains, then use three sv-661/r for rear channels and center. I added a pair of kind of a custom jobber from the RBH garage sale, it’s a small pair of reference bookshelves using reference 4” drivers on the sides. They are awesome little monsters. My main unit that powers it was the last great a/b flagship, a Pioneer VSX-59TXI. It’s 70lbs of MOSFET muscle. After using the room correction MCACC, it’s shocking how beautiful this sounds. I use a pair of RBH SA-400 amps to drive the reference subs. Words fail me. You can’t go wrong.

Attachments

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Wow, nice looking room and setup! As an observation you have the tweeters on the 661's to the outside: the speaker design guru at RBH, Shane, suggested that in my room they go to the inside. Could be my proximity to them but thought I would mention it to you. I hope to get my room up and going soon. Just finding the time and energy these days is tough.
Thanks for sharing!

C

CoryW

Audioholic
That’s because RBH has them set up the wrong way on their web site photo. With tremendous effort, I swapped them to the correct configuration.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis