7.1 Home theater system

M

MJBueta

Audiophyte
I need help in buying av receiver for my Wharfedale crystal series 4.3 floorstanders, 4c center and 4.1 surround, Elacs' s10eq subwoofer and atmos 4.2A. Please give advice and recommendations. Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I need help in buying av receiver for my Wharfedale crystal series 4.3 floorstanders, 4c center and 4.1 surround, Elacs' s10eq subwoofer and atmos 4.2A. Please give advice and recommendations. Thanks
What do you want help with exactly?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What is best recommended av receiver should I buy with the above mentioned set of speakers to set up a 7.1 home theater system.
I would look at Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, with whatever feature set appeals to you the most. There is not going to be big differences in AVRs in this price range.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is best recommended av receiver should I buy with the above mentioned set of speakers to set up a 7.1 home theater system.
Pretty much any of them so narrow it down by your budget and the features/connectivity you want....I agree with sjadyJ on the main brands to choose from.

M

MJBueta

Audiophyte
I would look at Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, with whatever feature set appeals to you the most. There is not going to be big differences in AVRs in this price range.
What's the right amplification should I look at?

M

MJBueta

Audiophyte
Pretty much any of them so narrow it down by your budget and the features/connectivity you want....I agree with sjadyJ on the main brands to choose from.
Specs:
Floorstander 4.3- 120w, 8ohms
Center 4c. - 100w, 8ohms
Surround 4.1. - 60w, 8ohms
Elac 4.2A. - 80w, 6ohms
Subwoofer. - 200-400w

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Specs:
Center 4c. - 100w, 8ohms
Elac 4.2A. - 80w, 6ohms
Subwoofer. - 200-400w
What has that got to do with budget? Speaker wattage ratings aren't very useful for determining amp needs, more about sensitivity and impedance (and generally avrs are suited for 6/8 ohm speakers, sometimes for lower impedance speakers at high levels another amp solution (like external amps) might be a thought, so might want an avr with pre-outs to accommodate such.

The subwoofer is a passive sub? Most avrs (except for some htib type) won't work as they don't have an amplified sub channel.

Might play around with this to determine your amp power needs http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Specs:
Center 4c. - 100w, 8ohms
Elac 4.2A. - 80w, 6ohms
Subwoofer. - 200-400w
Pretty much any receiver in the $700 to $1000 range will be adequate to power your setup.

M

MJBueta

Audiophyte
What has that got to do with budget? Speaker wattage ratings aren't very useful for determining amp needs, more about sensitivity and impedance (and generally avrs are suited for 6/8 ohm speakers, sometimes for lower impedance speakers at high levels another amp solution (like external amps) might be a thought, so might want an avr with pre-outs to accommodate such.

The subwoofer is a passive sub? Most avrs (except for some htib type) won't work as they don't have an amplified sub channel.

Might play around with this to determine your amp power needs http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html
Thanks

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
The best way to handle this imo is buy the lowest priced AVR with the feature set you want and to that make sure you have pre-outs for the 7 channels...then in the future if you move into a place with a larger room or you feel the AVR is not quite up to the task you can always add an exterior amp.

Buying one with mostly the same features but 30 wpc more than the next model down is pretty much worthless when it comes to output.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis