7.1.4 Setup For Around $7.5-9K

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
What is a step up from JBL Studio
Recommendations I got:
Paradigm Premier
NHT Speakers

What else. Can go bit high on budget now as he dropped down from 83" A90J to 65" A90J huge savings on that.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
NHT speakers tend to be fairly insensitive on account of their design. I would spring for the Paradigm Premiers if possible.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
At this point I am literally making multiple configurations for him as he is unable to decide or split the budget between multiple things coming up.

I am looking at SVS Ultra and NHT Speaker setup which what MAX limit is. One tier below it is Paradigm. Another tier below it is KEF Q series and SVS Prime Pinnacle. The low end Klipsch RP and JBL Studio. This tier list is made based on price. So if you guys had to list them in accordance to their performance what will be the order.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It’s a home theater so the center channel is the star. The review here on Paradigm Premier is very good for that center channel speaker. KEF also has a great center channel design.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It’s a home theater so the center channel is the star. The review here on Paradigm Premier is very good for that center channel speaker. KEF also has a great center channel design.
SVS has a great center channel too, lol.

I had SVS Ultras and really like them a lot. Detailed, neutral and maintain their composure very well at high volumes. I had the Ultra towers and books, but the Pinnacles reviewed really well here and I imagine are right in line with the Ultra series. Plus like I mentioned, they have a great 3 way center channel. I think he'd be very happy with them, and of course with the very generous risk free trial period you can always send them back. SVS foots the bill for any return shipping so you're only out the time involved.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Paradigm from what I have come across in reviews is said to be a bit laid back and not forward. While SVS Ultra is forward and can handle Soundstage equally well.

Funny enough KEF is the least reviewed and least spoken of speaker in the list.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Paradigm from what I have come across in reviews is said to be a bit laid back and not forward. While SVS Ultra is forward and can handle Soundstage equally well.

Funny enough KEF is the least reviewed and least spoken of speaker in the list.
Paradigm is made in Canada since 1980 but only sold through distributors. SVS is designed and distributed in the U.S. but made in China. A relatively newer player, formed in 1998, with the most liberal return policy out there. KEF has been in the business since the 1960's; designed and built in the U.K. Some of the lower end models are now made in China but the high end lines are still built in the U.K.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
What will be good Atmos speaker for SVS Ultra 7 channel setup.

SVS Prime
Revel C263
Klipsch R-1650-CSM

Please recommend any other model if they are better. In similar budget range.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
A lot of people like the RSL C34E in-ceiling speakers.

If you want on wall height speakers instead, the SVS Prime Elevation are a great option.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
A lot of people like the RSL C34E in-ceiling speakers.

If you want on wall height speakers instead, the SVS Prime Elevation are a great option.
I sure like mine!
FWIW, the prime elevations have an available bracket for ceiling mount.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I got this recommendation

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I got this recommendation

Ascend make great speakers. I haven't heard the HTM-200SEs, but I do own the Sierra towers, Horizon center and the Sierra 2s. They're the best sounding speakers I've had yet. I even thought about recommending the Sierra towers (NrT) to you but they're outside the budget.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Ascend make great speakers. I haven't heard the HTM-200SEs, but I do own the Sierra towers, Horizon center and the Sierra 2s. They're the best sounding speakers I've had yet. I even thought about recommending the Sierra towers (NrT) to you but they're outside the budget.
You said you had SVS Ultra too. How did they compare to Ascend speakers. How did they compare for Music and how did they compare for Movies.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You said you had SVS Ultra too. How did they compare to Ascend speakers. How did they compare for Music and how did they compare for Movies.
Well I sold my Ultras and switched to Ascend when I found a pair of Sierra 2s on Craigslist for a hell of a discount and was very impressed. The Sierras I have use a different type of tweeter, a ribbon instead of a dome and are known to be very smooth and detailed, and that is indeed what I found. The Ultras are very good, and I'd be happy to have them still, but I liked the Sierras just a bit more. I wouldn't say the difference is night and day tho. I think the Sierras are just a bit more refined to my ear and I was suffering pretty bad from upgrade-itis so I wasn't really in control of myself... :p

I've only heard Ascend's ribbon speakers tho so I can't really speak for the HTM 200SEs. They do have a forum I post on occasionally tho and a few guys that are happy to answer questions like this. Dave, the owner of Ascend Acoustics pops in there fairly often too.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
@KING DRANZER Are there any dealers in your area where your friend can demo some speakers? It doesn't have to be the specific models listed above. The tweeters and mid-range or mid-woofer cover the vocal range and have the most impact on a speaker's sound signature. The most common tweeters are the horns found in Klpisch and JBL (who use compression drivers), ribbon tweeters like in the Sierras or air motion tweeters (Wharfedale and Martin Logan use AMTs in some of their designs), and the most common in that price range would be soft dome tweeters. Comparing those can be a good way of deciding what type of design appeals to your friend. You can then look at reviews or forum recommendations of specific models depending upon whether your friend likes something flat and neutral or something that is a little hot in the bass or mids or treble.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
43920, Ohio

Let me know if there are stores near his Location.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Well I sold my Ultras and switched to Ascend when I found a pair of Sierra 2s on Craigslist for a hell of a discount and was very impressed. The Sierras I have use a different type of tweeter, a ribbon instead of a dome and are known to be very smooth and detailed, and that is indeed what I found. The Ultras are very good, and I'd be happy to have them still, but I liked the Sierras just a bit more. I wouldn't say the difference is night and day tho. I think the Sierras are just a bit more refined to my ear and I was suffering pretty bad from upgrade-itis so I wasn't really in control of myself... :p

I've only heard Ascend's ribbon speakers tho so I can't really speak for the HTM 200SEs. They do have a forum I post on occasionally tho and a few guys that are happy to answer questions like this. Dave, the owner of Ascend Acoustics pops in there fairly often too.

How much did you purchase the SVS Ultra Towers for. Did you purchase them New. Do SVS ever go on Sale. On Amazon or Cruthfield.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Audio Etc... Retailer 551 Congress Park Dr. Dayton, OH 45459 (SVS Ultra, JBL, Klipsch)
Sound and Vision Ohio 28700 Chagrin Boulevard Beachwood, OH 44122 Contact Numbers Tel: 216.292.0300 (Paradigm, Klipsch)

But have to confirm if the Speakers are on Display or not. They are shown to be available.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How much did you purchase the SVS Ultra Towers for. Did you purchase them New. Do SVS ever go on Sale. On Amazon or Cruthfield.
Not sure what I paid for them has to do with anything? I found a pair of Ultra towers used for $1700 (when they retailed for $2k). Resold them for $1600. Prices have gone up since then tho, and your friend is considering the Pinnacles, right? SVS isn't known for sales outside of their memorial day outlet deals.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Not sure what I paid for them has to do with anything? I found a pair of Ultra towers used for $1700 (when they retailed for $2k). Resold them for $1600. Prices have gone up since then tho, and your friend is considering the Pinnacles, right? SVS isn't known for sales outside of their memorial day outlet deals.
The Ultras. When did the price go up. Did the Price go up on the Ultras recently. Because I was wondering all the Reviews I came across had them priced $2000 for pair even the early 2021 reviews. So I am guessing that they went up in price very recently. Ahhhh........... bad luck.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis