7.1.4 Setup For Around $7.5-9K

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not going for high end. I am looking at their Base line.

Edit. Yes looking at same Song Towers 2-Way design.
The Sierra towers do come with with the NrT tweeter for less money ($2498/pr). I haven't heard them but looking at measurements comparing them to the RAAL ribbons they still look like very good tweets. There's a link to a pdf on the site with measurements for comparison.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Is the price increase due to shipping constraints and price hike on raw material and components.
Yes, and I fear this is just the beginning. Many others aren't going to have a choice but to raise pricing also. The shipping constraints are terrible. Shipping containers have quadrupled in price.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I think you forgot to provide the link for the Center Chanel. Where should I purchase it from.
Sorry about that this on eBay up in Canfield Ohio he’s got one or two left brand new in the box . That’s where I got mine from .

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I‘m heavily biased as well, but the SVS ultra & FV18 is a super setup in my opinion.
Oh ill also add my close friend has a pair of JBL 590s. TBH i like that tweeter slightly better than the SVS ultra. However, I prefer the mids and the impact of the SVS way more. The difference in tweeter would not make me go with the 590s over the SVS ultras. Just my two cents…..
Don't worry. We are not pushing SVS Ultra aside. After lot many people recommending us to audition the Speakers in person. We decided to audition and compare SVS and JBL side by side. But only Left and Right Towers. SVS Ultra vs JBL 590.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
This is what I am looking at:

Receiver: Denon AVR-X3700H
Subwoofer: Rythmik FV18

Setup 1:
Klipsch RP-504C x 1
Klipsch RP-8000F x 2
Klipsch RP-60000F x 4
Klipsch RP-400M x 4

Setup 2:
KEF Q650C x 1
KEF Q750 x 2
KEF Q350 x 4
KEF Q150 x 4

Setup 3:
JBL Studio 580 x 1 (Center)
JBL Studio 590 x 2
JBL Studio 580 x 4
JBL Studio 530 x 4

Setup 4:
Paradigm Premier 600C x 1
Paradigm Premier 800F x 2
Paradigm Premier 200B x 4
Paradigm Monitor SE Atom x 4

Setup 5:
SVS Ultra Center x 1
SVS Ultra Tower x 2
SVS Ultra Bookshelf x 4
SVS Prime Satellite x 4
Get book shelf speakers with dual subs whatever brand you get. Floorstanders with multiple subs is a bit superferlous.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Get book shelf speakers with dual subs whatever brand you get. Floorstanders with multiple subs is a bit superferlous.
In general I understand this logic, but for ht in a large room I think a person can benefit from the better dynamics, sensitivity and overall spl capabilities of towers over books. I did recommend dropping down to the Prime Pinnacles tho, for the reason you state. I think he'll still get the dynamics of a tower and won't miss the bass extension at all with the subs he chose.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I did recommend dropping down to the Prime Pinnacles tho
For example, I went from Ultra towers to the smaller Sierras and the Sierras sound just as big and can get just as loud crossed over to my subs at 80hz. That was a concern for me too, but it was unfounded. I would imagine the same between the Ultras and Pinnacles. Take deep bass out of the equation and I'll bet the Pinnacles can keep up just fine.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
For example, I went from Ultra towers to the smaller Sierras and the Sierras sound just as big and can get just as loud crossed over to my subs at 80hz. That was a concern for me too, but it was unfounded. I would imagine the same between the Ultras and Pinnacles. Take deep bass out of the equation and I'll bet the Pinnacles can keep up just fine.
It also depends on where the SUB goes. I am currently thinking of placing it in the rear. If in front. Small towers gonna be sufficient. But with SUB in the rear wouldn't I benefit by having little deeper bass coming from front speakers as well. Just asking.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It also depends on where the SUB goes. I am currently thinking of placing it in the rear. If in front. Small towers gonna be sufficient. But with SUB in the rear wouldn't I benefit by having little deeper bass coming from front speakers as well. Just asking.
Well you definitely want to put your sub where it works best, but that's up to the room. It might take a little bit of experimenting to figure it out, but wherever you end up subs are omnidirectional and pressurize the whole space.

Also, if you set up properly your speakers should be crossed over to your subs. They'll taper off at the crossover and won't even be producing deep bass. That's why I don't think you'll gain much, if anything, with the Ultra towers.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Well you definitely want to put your sub where it works best, but that's up to the room. It might take a little bit of experimenting to figure it out, but wherever you end up subs are omnidirectional and pressurize the whole space.

Also, if you set up properly your speakers should be crossed over to your subs. They'll taper off at the crossover and won't even be producing deep bass. That's why I don't think you'll gain much, if anything, with the Ultra towers.
Makes sense.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
No. If the sub is in the rear and properly integrated, you won’t know where it’s at. So this point is invalid. The caveat might be distance but unless it’s crossed too high you shouldn’t know where it’s at. It should be seamless and homogeneous.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah. Those 6.5’s will really carry the midrange. It’s basically the same surface area as the ultras with dual 6.5’s and dual 8’s OR the 590’s with dual 8’s and a stellar compression tweeter.
BS and a sub. Blah blah blah…..
Yeah. Right.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah. Those 6.5’s will really carry the midrange. It’s basically the same surface area as the ultras with dual 6.5’s and dual 8’s OR the 590’s with dual 8’s and a stellar compression tweeter.
BS and a sub. Blah blah blah…..
Yeah. Right.
Totally agree can you get away with bookshelves and subs yeah. But I'd rather spring for towers crossed over to the subs where all those drivers in the towers can smash that midrange with more cone area less distortion and higher levels with no compression. Giving me more dynamics. But I love big dynamics in my systems no replacement for displacement baby!!!! :D

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Lets see. Wouldn't it be unfair comparing and audition the SVS Prime Pinnacle vs JBL 590 specially without a SUB. Because he will not be having the SUB when initially he gonna audition the towers. So if SVS Prime Pinnacles drop down just because the lack the low end in comparison to JBL 590. Would it really be a fair comparison.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Lets see. Wouldn't it be unfair comparing and audition the SVS Prime Pinnacle vs JBL 590 specially without a SUB. Because he will not be having the SUB when initially he gonna audition the towers. So if SVS Prime Pinnacles drop down just because the lack the low end in comparison to JBL 590. Would it really be a fair comparison.
Huh. Well... my knee-jerk reply would be not fair, but he'd still get a good taste of the treble and midrange between the 2. Otoh I'm not so sure that the 590s would blow the Pinnacles out of the water on the low end either.

*looks up specs*

Yeah... The Pinnacles actually publish a lower f3 at 29 hz (+/- 3dB) compared to 35 hz (no f3 specifed) for the 590s so the "unfairness" would actually tip toward the Pinnacles!

I'd want to hear them both with a sub in play tho since that's how you'll be using them so no, I don't think a demo without subs would be the most accurate or "fair", but should still give him a good idea if that's the only option.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Not really those pinnacles are no slouches when it comes to bass themselves.

Plus every speaker sounds different in how it's going to interact with your room. So it's about finding out the best speaker that sound best best to your ears in that room. Test them both see which one he likes the most send back thr one he doesn't

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not really those pinnacles are no slouches when it comes to bass themselves.
Yup. Bigger drivers don't always mean deeper bass. It's also how they're implemented. The Pinnacles (3-way design) have a dedicated midrange driver, freeing up the 3 remaining drivers to focus on producing only bass, while one of the bass drivers in the 590s (2.5-way design) is pulling double duty handling bass and midrange at the same time. Albeit at a lower crossover point, since the horn loaded tweets can handle it.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Do we loose the capability to edit older post after certain time. Hmmm................ at-least OP should be editable.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis