60gb PS3 died on me :(

K

-Kevin-

Junior Audioholic
My unit died last week. Blinking red lights following a yellow light and some beeps.
On Monday I shipped it back to Sony. Wednesday they recieved it. Thursday they sent back A 60gb unit. I'm assuming its probably a refurb, right?

Now, I obviously had confidential information on there like credit card info ect. Is that going to be safe? I've already changed my PSN password. Is that sufficient? Any other precautions necessary?

Thanks guys.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
My unit died last week. Blinking red lights following a yellow light and some beeps.
On Monday I shipped it back to Sony. Wednesday they recieved it. Thursday they sent back A 60gb unit. I'm assuming its probably a refurb, right?

Now, I obviously had confidential information on there like credit card info ect. Is that going to be safe? I've already changed my PSN password. Is that sufficient? Any other precautions necessary?

Thanks guys.
You will be fine. They will may actually just move your hard drive into the refurb unit. I doubt they replace it.

K

-Kevin-

Junior Audioholic
You will be fine. They will may actually just move your hard drive into the refurb unit. I doubt they replace it.
I hope so! I had tons of pictures and home movies saved on there...

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I think they reccomend you backup your hard drive then restore it to factory settings before you send it back. And I'm almost positive you will get a refurb unit back, I'm not sure they would ever send out a brand new unit for warranty repair.

K

-Kevin-

Junior Audioholic
I think they reccomend you backup your hard drive then restore it to factory settings before you send it back. And I'm almost positive you will get a refurb unit back, I'm not sure they would ever send out a brand new unit for warranty repair.
Well, I had the "blinking lights of death." If I tried to power on the system would begin is startup but then the system light would flash yellow followed by 3 or 4 beeps and then the system would shut itself back off and the system light would blink red. So, I don't know how I could have backed up the hard drive other than to have removed it and sent it somewhere to have it backed up.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
This is true... I guess you could have called and asked a tech before you sent it back, but it's too late now. I hope they put your old hard drive back in the new/refurb unit.

K

-Kevin-

Junior Audioholic
This is true... I guess you could have called and asked a tech before you sent it back, but it's too late now. I hope they put your old hard drive back in the new/refurb unit.
Me too. Guess i'll find out on Monday!

K

-Kevin-

Junior Audioholic
Quick update on my situation:
I recieved a "factory certified" (60gig) unit yesterday. (AKA Refurb) I'm not exactly sure what goes into this "certification" process because the unit was a lemon upon arrival. It will not load discs. As in, the actual loading mechanism won't load the discs into the drive. (I also tried to play the bejeweled demo off the hard drive and it froze when I tried that. But it did play tekken dark ressurection)

How could this unit have been "certified"? How could this have happened? Honestly, its completely mind boggling and infuriating.
So, they are sending out another box to have this broken unit replaced.

/rant off

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Quick update on my situation:
I recieved a "factory certified" (60gig) unit yesterday. (AKA Refurb) I'm not exactly sure what goes into this "certification" process because the unit was a lemon upon arrival. It will not load discs. As in, the actual loading mechanism won't load the discs into the drive. (I also tried to play the bejeweled demo off the hard drive and it froze when I tried that. But it did play tekken dark ressurection)

How could this unit have been "certified"? How could this have happened? Honestly, its completely mind boggling and infuriating.
So, they are sending out another box to have this broken unit replaced.

/rant off
That sucks. I don't understand why they wouldn't just send a new unit.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
My xbox 360 broke down at one point and Microsoft sent me a refurbished unit (different serial #). That unit has been going strong for over a year now. As long as Sony sends you a new/refurbished unit free of charge on the replacement then I would not worry too much. On the other hand if they give you the run around then I would be pissed. Let us know how this works out.

shenaniganz

shenaniganz

Junior Audioholic
I had the same thing on my orig unit. It happen like 2 months after the ps3 came out. i bought it off ebay had no proof of purchase. They sent me a new one sealed and all. Guess I got lucky. No probs yet with this one and its been on deployments and gone through lots of "bumps".

K

-Kevin-

Junior Audioholic
That sucks. I don't understand why they wouldn't just send a new unit.
Yeah, I believe they only repair or replace with a refurb. Also, the 60 gig unit has been discontinued for a while now. So, when you think about it, the only ones they'll have in their warehouses are the broken/defective ones. :(

My xbox 360 broke down at one point and Microsoft sent me a refurbished unit (different serial #). That unit has been going strong for over a year now. As long as Sony sends you a new/refurbished unit free of charge on the replacement then I would not worry too much. On the other hand if they give you the run around then I would be pissed. Let us know how this works out.
Well, they've sent out a new box, for me to send the broken unit back to them in. It should arrive on 03/05. I'll send back the broken unit on Friday. If they send back another unit they day after they recieve mine. (its all done via 2nd day air) then I should have another unit on Thursday or Friday of next week.

I had the same thing on my orig unit. It happen like 2 months after the ps3 came out. i bought it off ebay had no proof of purchase. They sent me a new one sealed and all. Guess I got lucky. No probs yet with this one and its been on deployments and gone through lots of "bumps".
You didn't need to provide them proof of purchase? Thats pretty sweet.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis