K

KC Sphinx

Enthusiast
I have about $500 to start an audio system. I currently have a blu-ray player connected HDMI to HDTV. The audio out on the bdp is connected to a little shelf stereo.

The room is 15 x 18 with 8-10-8 trapazoid ceiling running lengthwise. The tv is approx 6' along one long side with couch on opposite wall. (Room has 7' opening for kitchen access)

Currently watch 2-3 movies/week. Listen to rock/pop/radio 3days/wk. Don't have to have 3D, >5.1 set-up, ipod/iphone

What advice do you have for how to go about starting to add audio components? 500 is not the final budget, just what I have currently, can save additional 50-100/month down the road. I would really like to get a receiver to build off and some better sounding speakers. Which path do think I should go and what are your recommendations?

Receiver + L/R (pair of towers/bookshelfs)
Receiver + 2.1
Receiver +5
Reciever +5.1
HTIB
Other

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
I'd start with a nice pair of bookshelf speakers that will later become the surrounds, or similar, and use the remainder of the money for a receiver.
Pioneer and some others offer pretty decent receivers in the low end or you may do well to find something on Craig's list or ebay. Just enough to provide some decent sound and features that are needed.

Being a Paradigm fan I'd suggest their Atoms. I've had mine for years and they started as my mains and they are my surrounds and sound quite good.
They are not too costly though I am unsure of today's costs.

I believe Tom Andry is fond of the Aperion brand. They are an online brand and offer a new pair of bookshelf speakers for $350.00. Doesn't leave much for a receiver but I'd rather have good speakers.

Don't rush into buying something just to have something. Many of us wind up spending far too much money on upgrading when if we were more patient, saved a bit more, we could have bought what we really wanted.

Good luck and keep us informed.

K

KC Sphinx

Enthusiast
Thanks for the response. I understand what you are saying. How big of quality jump is it from a midrange receiver to one of the 1000 msrp one? For someone have a reference point of a $50 shelf stereo, is it worth 6mo wait to save another 500 bucks?

How much do you think a good(not excellent) pair of bookshelf speakers would run?

J

jrittz

Audiophyte
I'm not trying to push you in the wrong direction but I feel that a good HTIB is a good place to start. You can find decent ones out there, such as the ones from Onkyo. I started there and had my first for three years. That may give you enough time to do the appropriate research. These days, all of the newer models are HDMI 1.4a compliant for 3D and you can get their middle model for $500. I would expect to get a lot of good use and pretty good sound from it for at least a couple years. During that time, do your research and saving and by the time you're ready to give up the HTIB, you'll at least be somewhat savvy enough to make the appropriate buying decisions.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Lets be honest, Kai has a good point- If you were looking for quality sound on extremely limited budget - Probably in much smaller room AVR+Bookshelf could be a good start, but room is very big and therefore I don't think AVR+Bookshelfs (without sub) would be good start.

Onkyo Ht-S7300 - Would probably a good start for you since after a while you could ditch the speakers and/or sub and keep using same AVR.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS7300/Onkyo/Ht-S7300-7.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Package-with-iPod-Dock/1.html

is $499, but shipping will be extra.

If you really want to build good solid system you should start with towers+avr
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTRC260/Onkyo/HT-RC260-7.2-channel-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html#!wiki
and these towers - you'd need two
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Reference-Connoisseur-floorstanding-speaker/dp/B001BY8WOA

Budget overblown to approx $750 but SO much better sound especially for music.

K

KC Sphinx

Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice. Few questions if you would.

Are power conditioning strips important? Or is a surge protector adequate?

Do you have opinions on other speaker pairs?

Polk tsi line
Infinity primus
Klipsch RF

I am unfamiliar with the more boutique speakers sold on audiogon. Do you recommend any tower lines that could be had for 400/pair or less?

Thanks

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the advice. Few questions if you would.

Are power conditioning strips important? Or is a surge protector adequate?

Do you have opinions on other speaker pairs?

Polk tsi line
Infinity primus
Klipsch RF

I am unfamiliar with the more boutique speakers sold on audiogon. Do you recommend any tower lines that could be had for 400/pair or less?

Thanks
Proper power conditioning is important, but until your budget allows proper line conditioning unit just stick to surge protectors, unless your apt/house have known power issues

About Energy RC-30 - they cost now $400/pr with free shipping, but they used to cost 4 times more. They will run circles around any of speakers you mentioned before

K

KC Sphinx

Enthusiast
Thanks for the links and comments.

I decided to buy the RC-30s for 400/pr shipped. My dad is letting borrow an 80's era component system (pre amp, amp, equilizer, tuner) I won't have the model numbers till he drops it off this weekend. I will use this in 2.0 until I decide on a avr and maybe a sub later on.

If the RC30s are rated for 200W and the output of amp is, say,100W, is there anything I should avoid doing? I don't have a strong understanding of power supplied vs power needed.

2nd question. How do feel about Onkyo SR508 vs HT-RC260? There is about a $100 price difference online. My bdp and tv both have upconversion. Is the Faroudja DCDi cinema really better than sony's tech? The RC260 also has extra sub out (not thinking I need it as I could use a y splitter).

The 100W vs 80W per channel difference seems like the only option that may be more worth it?

Opinions?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis