5 Killer $2k/pair Tower Speakers Compared for 2019

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hi klipsch is my favourite and am looking to buy the R-820F 5.1 home theater pack. Like the klipsch towers reviewed here they are 150w so I need an av receiver minimum 120w at 8 ohms. I cannot find one that is not super expensive can you make any suggestions?
You definitely don't need 120w minimum for the Klipsch!
A lot of us take advantage of reconditioned gear being sold ny Accessories4Less. A4L has established themselves as a forthright company to work with, and everything I have bought from them was a great deal and looked brand new!
I don't know what you consider "super expensive", but here is a great deal on a capable Onkyo at $230
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr676/onkyo-tx-nr676-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html

If you really believe you must have 120W, here is a Pioneer for $450:
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/pionvsxlx503/pioneer-elite-vsx-lx503-9.2-ch-x-120-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html

But here is their entire offering of AVR's for you to look through:
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
You definitely don't need 120w minimum for the Klipsch!
A lot of us take advantage of reconditioned gear being sold ny Accessories4Less. A4L has established themselves as a forthright company to work with, and everything I have bought from them was a great deal and looked brand new!
I don't know what you consider "super expensive", but here is a great deal on a capable Onkyo at $230
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr676/onkyo-tx-nr676-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html

If you really believe you must have 120W, here is a Pioneer for $450:
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/pionvsxlx503/pioneer-elite-vsx-lx503-9.2-ch-x-120-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html

But here is their entire offering of AVR's for you to look through:
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html
KEW, I been research in that unit, pre-amp outs what's your thoughts on it KEW? It's class D amp?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
KEW, I been research in that unit, pre-amp outs what's your thoughts on it KEW? It's class D amp?
I assume you are talking the Pioneer since it has pre-outs.
It seems like a strong unit.
Nothing at all wrong with Class D in my book. Pioneer did have a embarrassing experience when they first introduced class D amplification into their AVR's, but they sorted that out a good while back.
Personally, for the same money, I would go with the Denon AVR-X3400H because it also has a fine amp section (105W) and pre-outs, and adds Audyssey with the app ($20) to give you better control of the roomEQ.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I assume you are talking the Pioneer since it has pre-outs.
It seems like a strong unit.
Nothing at all wrong with Class D in my book. Pioneer did have a embarrassing experience when they first introduced class D amplification into their AVR's, but they sorted that out a good while back.
Personally, for the same money, I would go with the Denon AVR-X3400H because it also has a fine amp section (105W) and pre-outs, and adds Audyssey with the app ($20) to give you better control of the roomEQ.
Thanks KEW,

N

noclue

Audioholic
I am going to a anthem 720 have a a mono price 5 x 200 amp may upgrade that to 7 x 200 later on

T

trmoore2

Audiophyte
I would also audition the Revel F36 model before purchasing. I heard this model at an audio show, and they are terrific for the money!

N

noclue

Audioholic
I just want to say that I am a firm believer in Arc room correction or just Anthem now no longer will i use demon or other AVR that use Audyssey room correction. even my wife noticed a huge difference once i set it up
I am sure Dirac live is as good or better but have no need to change at this point

_Mithrandir_

_Mithrandir_

Enthusiast
All 5 of the speakers reviewed here seem like a great addition to most home theaters. I have also been considering Salk Songtowers. They fall around $2k per pair. Without listening in person (yet) to each of these as well as the Salk pair could anyone shed some light as to how they would compare? Besides reputation and custom cabinets that are stunningly beautiful, why wouldn't anyone just opt for these?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
All 5 of the speakers reviewed here seem like a great addition to most home theaters. I have also been considering Salk Songtowers. They fall around $2k per pair. Without listening in person (yet) to each of these as well as the Salk pair could anyone shed some light as to how they would compare? Besides reputation and custom cabinets that are stunningly beautiful, why wouldn't anyone just opt for these?
One advantage that these speakers would have over Songtowers is dynamic range. These speakers will be able to handle louder levels with less trouble than Songtowers.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Nice to see towers reviewed in this price range. But in my humble opinion if there is not a outstanding center to go with them then i have no use for them. I would like to see the best combo for 2-3 k that includes the two towers and a center
Of that group the Paradigm 600c or smaller 500c is going to be the best center speaker imho.

CrazyDwarf

CrazyDwarf

Enthusiast
What about the Revel Concerta 2 F35 in this same price range?
Emotiva Airmotive T2+?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What about the Revel Concerta 2 F35 in this same price range?
Emotiva Airmotive T2+?
Just what was available. The F35 is a very competent speaker and would likely be my choice if it were included. As for Emotiva, there may be issues between them and Audioholics. All of this is irrelevant since this was from 2019.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Just what was available. The F35 is a very competent speaker and would likely be my choice if it were included. As for Emotiva, there may be issues between them and Audioholics. All of this is irrelevant since this was from 2019.
There are no issues between Emotiva and Audioholics. I use an Emotiva amplifier in my testing which they provided.

D

DaleHeise

Audiophyte
Wow am I late to this party! I enjoyed the review, and it opened up my options for a first set of real quality speakers - I'll have to research more on what has changed in the mean time.
In case someone is still checking this thread: Can anyone speak to how the Monoprice Monolith THX-465T speakers would fit into this line-up? I've gone in on their bookshelf speakers, a sub, and an amp. Their towers came out about the same time, and in the same price-range, of this review, but there is scary little in reviews of the tower speakers - almost like reviews have been withheld for some reason.
I'm just wondering if I'm better off completing a Monolith set, or if my money could be better spent elsewhere.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Wow am I late to this party! I enjoyed the review, and it opened up my options for a first set of real quality speakers - I'll have to research more on what has changed in the mean time.
In case someone is still checking this thread: Can anyone speak to how the Monoprice Monolith THX-465T speakers would fit into this line-up? I've gone in on their bookshelf speakers, a sub, and an amp. Their towers came out about the same time, and in the same price-range, of this review, but there is scary little in reviews of the tower speakers - almost like reviews have been withheld for some reason.
I'm just wondering if I'm better off completing a Monolith set, or if my money could be better spent elsewhere.
Monoprice definitely has not with held reviews of the THX-426Ts. The only reason why we haven't reviewed them is because they are so close to the 365Ts that it wouldn't reveal much of anything new. They are certain to be very good speakers.

D

DaleHeise

Audiophyte
Monoprice definitely has not with held reviews of the THX-426Ts. The only reason why we haven't reviewed them is because they are so close to the 365Ts that it wouldn't reveal much of anything new. They are certain to be very good speakers.
Thank you for such a quick response! That makes sense. I'm enjoying the 365Ts, so I'll stay the course, and maybe branch out in few years after my appreciation grows.

D

David_Alexander

Enthusiast
Thank you for such a quick response! That makes sense. I'm enjoying the 365Ts, so I'll stay the course, and maybe branch out in few years after my appreciation grows.
there maybe changes within the Monoprice Monolith line up. The Encore T6 and B6 no longer on sale (although they still have the C6 on the site).
I'm unsure of where the appeal of the THX-426T/420T lays. For 2 channel, purely music listening they are going to be good, but would they appeal to a music audiophile, who do not tend to be as price sensitive?
For home cinema, most people will have a sub or more, so the appeal of a large tower in this instance is questionable. And if that person wants a tower speaker just because, they are likely, again, to be less price sensitive.
For openness, I'm running Encore T6 LR & 365C with Monolith subs and Encore B6 as surround (although I'm toying with running C6 as surrounds).
The reason for the T6 LR as opposed to the 365T is that they sound great, are cheaper, and were further reduced by 48% ;)

D

DaleHeise

Audiophyte
there maybe changes within the Monoprice Monolith line up. The Encore T6 and B6 no longer on sale (although they still have the C6 on the site).
I'm unsure of where the appeal of the THX-426T/420T lays. For 2 channel, purely music listening they are going to be good, but would they appeal to a music audiophile, who do not tend to be as price sensitive?
For home cinema, most people will have a sub or more, so the appeal of a large tower in this instance is questionable. And if that person wants a tower speaker just because, they are likely, again, to be less price sensitive.
For openness, I'm running Encore T6 LR & 365C with Monolith subs and Encore B6 as surround (although I'm toying with running C6 as surrounds).
The reason for the T6 LR as opposed to the 365T is that they sound great, are cheaper, and were further reduced by 48% ;)
David - thank you for that. I think I just wasn't paying enough attention to look into the Encore line. I purchased the THX center and large bookshelf speakers early on (I think right after @shadyJ 's review of them was posted). I really liked what I bought, and sort of set my roadmap of incrementally building up a Monolith system at that point. When Monoprice introduced other lines in the Monolith range, I didn't really pay attention since I already had a plan.
After reading your comment, I backtracked and read the reviews on the T6's: the seem to be an incredible value! One of my concerns with the THX towers is what kind of reach they have into the lower frequencies, and it sounds like the T6's excel at that. If I had paid attention sooner, I might be listening to those right now.
As you pointed out, they unfortunately seem to no longer be for sale. If they were, I would have a some decision making to do.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis