5 Killer $2k/pair Tower Speakers Compared for 2019

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Having two mid-range drivers as in RBH Sound R-55 is absolutely an unwanted feature.
Utilising more than one driver in mid-range and tweeter frequencies produces severe interference effects which result in uneven frequency response.
I assume neither RBH nor the reviever have any knowledge of loudspeaker design basics!
Yeah, same crew must be designing loudspeakers over at Dynaudio. Idiots.

K

Kursun

Enthusiast
Do you think since Dynaudio guys have designed their speaker with twin mid-range drivers this changes the law of physics?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
No, of course not. However, those speakers sound incredible so whatever they are doing, it works.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yeah, same crew must be designing loudspeakers over at Dynaudio. Idiots.
Yeah, or also that big dummy-head, Dr. Joseph D'Appolito, MIT graduate, the guy who literally wrote the book on testing loudspeakers, one of the most respected and admired loudspeaker designers, for whom a widely used driver topology is actually named after, with his vaunted D'Appolito MTM design, what does he know? I always suspected he was all wrong, but it's good to finally have that suspicion confirmed! ;)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I was horrifically inarticulate in that video!
Don't be so hard on yourself, that's our job.

You did a good job describing various characteristics and placement strategies.

Way to go.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Do you think since Dynaudio guys have designed their speaker with twin mid-range drivers this changes the law of physics?
What are these “laws of physics” you speak of, and how does a dual midrange break them?

Sir Isaac Newton would be pretty happy listening to these speakers if I may say so myself.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
You seem to be suffering from a cognitive bias known as Dunning-Kruger effect. It's distorting (pun intended) your perception and understanding of basic physics.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
A 10K tower competition would be great. Harman recently had an internal competition with the Magico A3, Revel F228Be, and Paradigm Persona 3F and "surprise" the Revel speaker won. A legit 3rd party test would seem less dubious.
IMO, their methodology is sound (pun!). The dubious part is that they appear to cherry-pick the competitor speakers, always picking speakers with wonky measurements. That way, it's no surprise the Revels win.

Why don't they ever test their own speakers against the truly good competing models? Why no shootout against the PSB Imagine T3 or KEF Reference or Salk or ...?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd like to see more in the same pricepoint rather than the 10k one. Or a good diy comparison, which is a different value consideration altogether, but likely better than the 10k pair (let alone each)....

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Why don't they ever test their own speakers against the truly good competing models?
They have tested against truly more expensive models with the Primus 360 but the contention then was that it was at an SPL the Infinity was maxing out at and the more expensive speaker was presumably easily handling. There's always a flaw in the testing procedure. However what Harman did establish is that their speaker sounded good at a set volume and at a set price point. It's like the 'good speaker' thing takes a back seat to the 'sold speaker' thing.

Last edited:
WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Getting annoyed that every review of a Klipsch speakers starts off claiming Klipsch speakers have a reputation of being harsh and then the review proves the opposite. The reason people keep thinking this is because people keep saying it every single time when it's simply not true. Klipsch speakers have been fantastic for a long time and it's only the older low end Best Buy/Magnolia models from generations ago that started the rumor. But people love to keep it going.

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
Can you guys review some of the current Salk Speakers? You did a preview of the Song 3 in 2016. When is the full review coming?

K

Kursun

Enthusiast
What are these “laws of physics” you speak of, and how does a dual midrange break them?

Sir Isaac Newton would be pretty happy listening to these speakers if I may say so myself.

If you don't know anything about interference effect go educate yourself before farting out your opinion..
I don't have time to educate the ignorant.

Last edited:
B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
I have had Phase Technology Premier 9.1 tower speakers for years and would never part with them yet they are never counted along with other tower speakers in reviews like the one above. They seem to be a well kept secret which is a shame
My Dad had Phase Tech PC speakers since the 90's, I grew up with them and always loved their sound. Then I got a set of 5 channel Phase Tech speaker, I've had for years. They are very good quality speakers. I'd recommend those to anyone as well, you never seem to hear much about them which is a shame. I'm getting a 5 channel Salk system now, but it will be hard to part with the Phase Techs, let me know if anyone needs a good home for a 5 channel Phase Tech system.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis