5 Best Powered Subwoofers Under $500 for 2020

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Consistancy advantages over other plywood maybe, not MDF. I have never seen a plywood with a more uniform consistency throughout vs MDF and I have been working with wood professionally for over 20 years in various fields. Now, strength and weight I can see. Sawdust too as MDF is awful stuff to work with(I will probably die early due to the amount I have inhaled). Now you have me interested. I may have to email Funk and see why they choose what they do...
Scroll down to baltic birch https://www.funkaudio.ca/technology.html

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Holy crap we are cluttering up your thread here Shady, sorry man. Is this enough in topic or?

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Interesting, thanks. I'd like to hear more though as I suspect they use it more due to its strength and due to their use of rounded enclosures(MDF would likely have to be CNC machined from a solid block to achieve that and it can't be steamed to bend).

Any more sources for info(preferably with measurements) for MDF vs Baltic Birch Plywood?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting, thanks. I'd like to hear more though as I suspect they use it more due to its strength and due to their use of rounded enclosures(MDF would likely have to be CNC machined from a solid block to achieve that and it can't be steamed to bend).

Any more sources for info(preferably with measurements) for MDF vs Baltic Birch Plywood?
For subs or speakers particularly, tho?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Holy crap we are cluttering up your thread here Shady, sorry man. Is this enough in topic or?
I don't care so long as you guys try to make your arguments informative. Here are a couple of articles on the subject: Loudspeaker Cabinet Bracing and Myths and Facts about Loudspeaker Cabinets. For subwoofers, I would say so long as the cabinet is strong enough and doesn't have any audible resonances, it doesn't matter what you use. That can be achieved with any of these substances. My understanding is that panel resonances tend to be more problematic at higher frequencies than what subwoofers normally do, and there may be a slightly stronger case for MDF in tower speakers. I think any of these materials are just fine for subwoofers, and the audio performance differences between them is an academic matter that doesn't have any real-world consequences. HDF and Birch may be more preferable if you want a subwoofer or loudspeaker with a more robust cabinet. Personally, I want a subwoofer with a carbon-fiber enclosure- that would be pretty cool.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
For subs or speakers particularly, tho?
Either really, kind of an interesting topic. I wonder how the lower uniformity of plywood hurts the Monitor to monitor variance. Although, Baltic Birch looks pretty uniform compared to some other types of plywood.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
I don't care so long as you guys try to make your arguments informative. Here are a couple of articles on the subject: Loudspeaker Cabinet Bracing and Myths and Facts about Loudspeaker Cabinets. For subwoofers, I would say so long as the cabinet is strong enough and doesn't have any audible resonances, it doesn't matter what you use. That can be achieved with any of these substances. My understanding is that panel resonances tend to be more problematic at higher frequencies than what subwoofers normally do, and there may be a slightly stronger case for MDF in tower speakers. I think any of these materials are just fine for subwoofers, and the audio performance differences between them is an academic matter that doesn't have any real-world consequences. HDF and Birch may be more preferable if you want a subwoofer or loudspeaker with a more robust cabinet. Personally, I want a subwoofer with a carbon-fiber enclosure- that would be pretty cool.
Thanks for the links and added info.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Huh? Think you are mistaken sir, my name is not James.

Also, it's kind of douchy to post someone's real name(luckily not mine) on a public forum without their permission for future reference.
yoooooooo.... slow down, man.

You were replying to James (who, btw, puts his name on his articles so no douchey-ness there). You said "Roger" as in "got it".

It was a joke. Thus the multiple smiles and winky face.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Sorry man, I didn't understand your humour as you didn't quote my whole comment and I didn't know Shady's real name(until now that is). I thought you thought I was someone else who created another account. I get your dad joke now and will edit lol.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
MDF is softer and is theoretically better damped than HDF. However, I doubt that there is a practical difference in audio performance. HDF is certainly tougher. It may be less susceptible to moisture problems as well. Either one is fine as an enclosure material.
IMO, for a subwoofer enclosure, HDF should be a better material than MDF because it is stiffer and vibrates at a higher frequency. But a better material for a subwoofer enclosure is the baltic birch plywood, simply because of its higher resonant point at frequencies which are way above the normal subwoofer operating frequencies. It also has the advantage of being a sturdier material while being somewhat lighter than both MDF and HDF.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
The Polk is less than $380 now at Amazon.
My Son has that Sub, paired up with his RBH Impression Elite towers, setup in a 5.1 set. Everyone on AH already knows Polk subs before these where released are Sub-par pun intended. But not this one I have heard that Sub in James Article. It's a very good "Budget" sub no pun intended with that statement. When I say you can hear that sub hit it hits like well a good sub for what it's priced at. Son paid full retail from Crutchfield $449.00 plus tax free shipping. He was going to pickup SVS sub the one at $999.00 what stop him cause I wouldn't have was room for it. His living room is packed to the Hilt!
So at $360.00 plus tax with free shipping yeah.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
yoooooooo.... slow down, man.

You were replying to James (who, btw, puts his name on his articles so no douchey-ness there). You said "Roger" as in "got it".

It was a joke. Thus the multiple smiles and winky face.
Thanks, I needed to read that also, just the other day a AH member was helping out on a thread I started and I took his post as coming off as a "know-it-all" he and another AH member came back at me with the Usual name slang calling. So yeah We need good AH members like You. Before a Moderator steps in. James more than likely knows how to handle the Usual "Muck" His Articles are always spot on Honest and unbiased. I myself, when James posts up his articles. It's always a must read for me.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I am disappointed to Not see the Parts Express 12" or 15" not make the list. :(

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

Oh yeah, those are not killer subs, those two side by side against the others listed from the reviews from the owner's that have those like the 15" a lot. Kinda hard to knock a 15" sub even if the box it sits in isn't the greatest. Anesthetics I'm talking about.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

I am sure those are fine subs for the price, but the round-up for this article concerns $500 subs. Those are too cheap.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Apologies if answers elsewhere but didn’t see it in review here or on the $1000 sub list.
Seems like audioholics is big fan of two subs vs one. If $1000 is the budget better one $1000 sub or two $500’s? (Home theater application primarily)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Apologies if answers elsewhere but didn’t see it in review here or on the $1000 sub list.
Seems like audioholics is big fan of two subs vs one. If $1000 is the budget better one $1000 sub or two $500’s? (Home theater application primarily)
Room Dimensions and openings to other areas? Total volume?

But to answer your question yes I would rather do one of these than two smaller pb-1000

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis