5.1 mini system for PC recommandation

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Center channel speakers are hard to fit in a desktop system. Unless you can find a way to fit that, I would just go 2.1. How large can the speakers be in your system? Do you have room on your desktop for some full-size bookshelf speakers?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Center channel speakers are hard to fit in a desktop system. Unless you can find a way to fit that, I would just go 2.1. How large can the speakers be in your system? Do you have room on your desktop for some full-size bookshelf speakers?
Made me wonder, just how many dedicated "center" speakers are in the active speaker arena?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
One more thing, the optical cable can only handle Dolby Digital as a multi-channel spec. A better argument for going 2.1, since you can only stream 2 channels as uncompressed audio. You could use the analog outputs, but they are going to be pretty lousy as far as noise goes.

I would just run the optical or USB out to a DAC, and the DAC out to a couple of good powered monitors and maybe a subwoofer.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Made me wonder, just how many dedicated "center" speakers are in the active speaker arena?
None. However, there are some horizontal MTM type powered monitors from ADAM Audio, PreSonus, and EVEN, among others. I am not sure if they are really intended to be used as a center though, more like a monitor for spaces with low vertical clearance.

PatKen

PatKen

Audioholic Intern
No not really

PatKen

PatKen

Audioholic Intern
One more thing, the optical cable can only handle Dolby Digital as a multi-channel spec. A better argument for going 2.1, since you can only stream 2 channels as uncompressed audio. You could use the analog outputs, but they are going to be pretty lousy as far as noise goes.

I would just run the optical or USB out to a DAC, and the DAC out to a couple of good powered monitors and maybe a subwoofer.
thats va very interesting idea. But i am use to my surrounf speaker for game effect. so not sure if am willing to change to 2.1

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is it about the Logitech system you're finding particularly lacking? They're generally pretty good at the computer desktop type application....

PatKen

PatKen

Audioholic Intern
What is it about the Logitech system you're finding particularly lacking? They're generally pretty good at the computer desktop type application....
to be honest am not sure, i am very happy with my product. Just that i dont understand the small hum or buzz sound, hard to discribe if you can hear it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
to be honest am not sure, i am very happy with my product. Just that i dont understand the small hum or buzz sound, hard to discribe if you can hear it.
Yeah I just noticed the two threads you've got and the buzz thing.....is it just one speaker? Some amps/speakers do have some inherent hiss....but a buzz is usually something else....

PatKen

PatKen

Audioholic Intern
Yeah I just noticed the two threads you've got and the buzz thing.....is it just one speaker? Some amps/speakers do have some inherent hiss....but a buzz is usually something else....
well all my system is connected to the subwoofer. The subwoofer when it is turn on is emitting a huming sound. I do hear a sound in my speaker, but i that really moment i cant hear nothing in my speaker, only my subwoofer

PatKen

PatKen

Audioholic Intern
This is a very long storie, but i will keep it for tomorrow

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
well all my system is connected to the subwoofer. The subwoofer when it is turn on is emitting a huming sound. I do hear a sound in my speaker, but i that really moment i cant hear nothing in my speaker, only my subwoofer
A ground loop hum is usually at the frequency of your electrical service. So makes sense that you hear such at the sub primarily. Unless it's a physical vibration sound from the amplifier section itself....is the sound coming from the speaker cone itself or just from the amp area?

PatKen

PatKen

Audioholic Intern
A ground loop hum is usually at the frequency of your electrical service. So makes sense that you hear such at the sub primarily. Unless it's a physical vibration sound from the amplifier section itself....is the sound coming from the speaker cone itself or just from the amp area?
can you show me the difference between both. Not sure ui understand

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis