5.1 for a small room

silentmuse

silentmuse

Audiophyte
Advice needed. I'm looking for a basic audio system for a small living room.
I've already found some options, like Logitech Z906 and Energy 5.1 classic home theater system. Both have great reviews, and in the result I can't decide, which one I should get.
If you have something better in mind, let me know. I need a fairly small and light setup - nothing fancy, since I'm going to place speakers on a bookshelf.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There are much better cheap speakers out there. Those are old reviews. Read this overview of some inexpensive speaker reviews that were done over the past year. Any of those would be better. For a subwoofer, look at the Monoprice 12 or the Dayton 12.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Advice needed. I'm looking for a basic audio system for a small living room.
I've already found some options, like Logitech Z906 and Energy 5.1 classic home theater system. Both have great reviews, and in the result I can't decide, which one I should get.
If you have something better in mind, let me know. I need a fairly small and light setup - nothing fancy, since I'm going to place speakers on a bookshelf.
Easy for me if you must go on the smaller side -- 5 each of the NHT SuperZero -- use one as your center channel -- and a really good price for them -- just add a subwoofer
https://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperZero-2-1-Mini-Monitor-Speaker/dp/B00CKNOYWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539987638&sr=8-1&keywords=NHT+Superzero&dpID=41Nl10LvalL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Just as everyone has different ears, we all have a different idea of what a "small living room" might be. What are the dimensions, how far from the screen do you sit, and relative to a "loud speaking voice" how loud do you expect this system to play?

A

aim1861

Audioholic Intern
Would like to add to KenM's comment, whats your budget? If its around $200 Z906 are pretty good I think those are THX certified as well. I had two sets of Z5500 I was pretty satisfied with the sound, it gets pretty loud almost 500 watts RMS and at a later date you can replace the LCR with something like Micca or any other option at that price point.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis