5.1.2 Surround Speaker system in Basement

A

avu

Audiophyte
Hi all!

I am hoping some of you can provide me some helpful suggestions. I am looking for your inputs for a 5.1.2 surround speaker system for room size 16x18 in the Basement. Currently, the basement is being finished and 1-2 weeks out from all being sheetrocked. I believe in-ceiling speakers are best. My budget is around $1.5K and I am not looking for any high-end speaker system, basically, we are going to use this basement to watch movies only. Can you also please suggest a receiver too. Thank you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You would need to provide a budget.

In ceiling speakers for the whole of a 5.1.2 setup won't work with all the speakers being in the same layer, you'd want the 5ch layer down near ear level and just the Atmos/overhead speakers in the ceiling. Even for just a 5.1 setup ceiling placement is the poorest way to go. How about in-walls instead of in-ceiling if aesthetics or space is a particular concern?

A

avu

Audiophyte
My budget is around $1K for speakers, receivers and subwoofer. Yes, we will have 2 in-ceiling speakers for Atmos and 3 in front (with one being central) and the other two for surround sound (SR, SL). Attached is the layout of room (16x18) and I have LG 4K projector (HU80KA) 150 inch.

Please recommend good brands for speakers, receiver and speaker cables.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My budget is around $1K for speakers, receivers and subwoofer. Yes, we will have 2 in-ceiling speakers for Atmos and 3 in front (with one being central) and the other two for surround sound (SR, SL). Attached is the layout of room (16x18) and I have LG 4K projector (HU80KA) 150 inch.

Please recommend good brands for speakers, receiver and speaker cables.
That's a pretty skinny budget for all that (to me a starting sub is $400 to 600 alone....I'd think about a 2.1 setup to start perhaps)....nice that it isn't all in-ceiling as you originally mentioned, tho. Speaker cables can be had at your local hardware store, some different requirements for code for in-wall wiring you might need to pay attention to. Try this site for great info info on speaker wire http://roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

A

avu

Audiophyte
That's a pretty skinny budget for all that (to me a starting sub is $400 to 600 alone....I'd think about a 2.1 setup to start perhaps)....nice that it isn't all in-ceiling as you originally mentioned, tho. Speaker cables can be had at your local hardware store, some different requirements for code for in-wall wiring you might need to pay attention to. Try this site for great info info on speaker wire http://roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
Actually, I can go up to $1500, any inputs on these speakers:
HDX-W80-E (3 in front and 2 in-ceiling - atmos) and rear ones (2) - SDX-W65
https://www.htd.com/SDX-W65

Is this receiver any good (selling for $399 in Costco) - Yamaha TSR-700

Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Actually, I can go up to $1500, any inputs on these speakers:
HDX-W80-E (3 in front and 2 in-ceiling - atmos) and rear ones (2) - SDX-W65
https://www.htd.com/SDX-W65

Is this receiver any good (selling for $399 in Costco) - Yamaha TSR-700

Thanks.
No in wall speaker experience myself, never wanted to do that. Paying attention to back boxes might be something I'd consider looking into, tho.

I think that's a pretty nice value in an avr.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

I would also make sure the surrounds go to the sides vs the back wall.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Mono price is another good cheap brand , not sure if it’s worth getting thx models a few at a time or what .
i prefer regular speakers but if you’re able to install them can work .

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks, Kingnoob, William. Any feedback on HTD speakers or Polk

1)https://www.htd.com/HDX-W65

or

2) These Polk models: Polk Audio RC65i 2-way Premium In-Wall 6.5\"-Speakers (Pair) | Perfect-for Damp-and Humid Indoor/Outdoor Placement | (White, Paintable-Grille)

or
Polk Audio 265-RT 2 Front
Polk Audio 255c-RT 1 Center
Polk Audio 70-RT 2 Rear/Surround
Polk Audio 70-RT 2 Atmos/Ceiling

Not sure if I should go with 8" vs 6:5" speakers.
HTD seems to be pretty good for affordable speakers. I don’t think I’ve knowingly heard any of their IW’s, but I do have a pair of Polk rc85i in a room. I built back boxes for them, and I think they work pretty well. Especially for the price. I would personally recommend them for you since I have used them, but the 65’s would be good too.
You might start a thread about HTD, as I belt some other guys have used them.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Any opinion on placing the speakers behind the screen and using an Acoustically Transparent Screen compared to the regular projector screen?
Any cloth put between you and the loudspeaker will affect the sound to some degree, but the a regular projector screen can audibly dampen the higher frequencies. Whether or not that is acceptable to you is something you have to test.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Any opinion on placing the speakers behind the screen and using an Acoustically Transparent Screen compared to the regular projector screen?

For the receiver, I am debating whether I should buy Yamaha TSR-700 (https://www.costco.com/yamaha-tsr-700-7.1-channel-network-av-receiver.product.100686465.html)
or Denon model. Thank you.
If I had a screen instead of tv, this is what I would do. I would probably still use a higher end avr, tho to get a full set of pre-outs for flexibility.

A

avu

Audiophyte
Any cloth put between you and the loudspeaker will affect the sound to some degree, but the a regular projector screen can audibly dampen the higher frequencies. Whether or not that is acceptable to you is something you have to test.
Thanks.
Actually, the only reason I want to go with the Acoustically transparent screen is not having enough space below the screen (just getting 2 ft and not sure if I can place the center speaker Polk 265 horizontally as opposed to placing them vertically like other LR speakers).

Otherwise if Acoustically transparent screen can be avoided then we can also go with a paint, an alternative for screens is a high definition paint and can save around $500

Here is the pic of room showing speakers:

Attachments

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks.
Actually, the only reason I want to go with the Acoustically transparent screen is not having enough space below the screen (just getting 2 ft and not sure if I can place the center speaker Polk 265 horizontally as opposed to placing them vertically like other LR speakers).

Otherwise if Acoustically transparent screen can be avoided then we can also go with a paint, an alternative for screens is a high definition paint and can save around $500

Here is the pic of room showing speakers:
The Polk 265-RT is designed to be mounted vertically, and if you put it horizontally it will have the usual issues with horizontal MTM designs. The Polk 255c-RT is designed to be mounted horizontally, but still will have some issues from the look of it.

I'd go with an acoustically transparent screen to avoid having a horizontal center speaker, and you could use three Polk 265-RT for the front speakers.

I bought a single standmount for use as center speaker after I wall mounted my new TV, and the sound and dialogue is much better when sitting at the side in my small living room.

Last edited:
A

avu

Audiophyte
The Polk 265-RT is designed to be mounted vertically, and if you put it horizontally it will have the usual issues with horizontal MTM designs. The Polk 255c-RT is designed to be mounted horizontally, but still will have some issues from the look of it.

I'd go with an acoustically transparent screen to avoid having a horizontal center speaker, and you could use three Polk 265-RT for the front speakers.

I bought a single standmount for use as center speaker after I wall mounted my new TV, and the sound and dialogue is much better when sitting at the side in my small living room.
This is what I am thinking:

3x Polk Audio 265-RT 2 (Front three to have identical speakers all mounted vertically)

1 pair Polk Audio 60-RT (Surround speakers side of listeners)

1 pair Polk Audio RC65i (Atmos overhead channels)
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-C...s=Polk+Audio+70-RT&qid=1618562494&sr=8-9&th=1

Any feedback on AVR - Denon AVRS750H vs Yamaha TSR700 (Costco is selling for $399)?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
This is what I am thinking:

3x Polk Audio 265-RT 2 (Front three to have identical speakers all mounted vertically)

1 pair Polk Audio 60-RT (Surround speakers side of listeners)

1 pair Polk Audio RC65i (Atmos overhead channels)
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-C...s=Polk+Audio+70-RT&qid=1618562494&sr=8-9&th=1

Any feedback on AVR - Denon AVRS750H vs Yamaha TSR700 (Costco is selling for $399)?
I'm partial to good room correction so personally I would buy a Denon AVR-X3700 or higher to get Audyssey XT32, but that will more than double the price of the AVR and break your budget. That said, I'm more inclined to buy the best 3 front speakers I can and skip the surrounds/overhead speakers, and have an inexpensive receiver. Surrounds/overhead can be added later. Some in this forum recommends to skip the center speaker for better front left/right and add center speaker later.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis