4k players-Oppo UDP 203 vs ???

L

Laker8/24

Audiophyte
Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody could help me. I am in search for a good 4K player. I was leaning towards the oppo 203 because it has great reviews fast processing ect... I would have to get it from 2nd Market place. The prices are ranging from $950 to about $1300. For that price range, is there any other 4K player just as good or better than the Oppo 203? If someone could please enlighten me with any suggestions I would highly appreciate it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would not pay that kind of price for a 203, even if it is a solid player. That is double what they were originally. Get something current. Panasonic or Sony.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Warlord
The Oppo players were well designed and generally considered "the deal"!
However, given the absurd price for buying a product that is hard to come by, I would be inclined to buy a Sony BDP 800 for $250 instead:

I haven't seen any facts on reliability, but I have read of problems with Oppo units and have Sony disc players from the 80's that still work perfectly! Anecdotal data, but Sony has been making optical disc players for a long time and since you can buy 4 of the Sony's for the price of one Oppo, I would not spend $1k for an Oppo!
Exceptions are:
1) If you are very brand conscious and the prospect of mixing a lowly Sony in with your premium audio gear is offensive to you (although I do believe Sony TVs have a good reputation).
2) There is a feature that you gotta have that is not available on the Sony (I know the Oppo has more output connection options).
3) The Oppo offers a better "feel/touch experience" with a heavier remote and nicer DVD drawer action (although I would bet the Sony drawer mechanism will actually last longer).

Good luck with your decision!

Edit - I just noticed that Sony now has a higher level 1100 ($600) that you may want to check out:

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Samurai
Sony x800m2. Or even the cheaper Sony x700 if you don’t need DVD-Audio playback.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought one of the 203s as they shut down production, but I wouldn't pay any more than I did (list price from Oppo). It's a nice player but would think the top offerings from the other brands would be in its league in most respects. I've read nice things about the Panasonic and Sony top end units (maybe Samsung too but the worst bluray player I ever owned was a Samsung).

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic General
Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody could help me. I am in search for a good 4K player. I was leaning towards the oppo 203 because it has great reviews fast processing ect... I would have to get it from 2nd Market place. The prices are ranging from $950 to about $1300. For that price range, is there any other 4K player just as good or better than the Oppo 203? If someone could please enlighten me with any suggestions I would highly appreciate it.
Get the Sony UBP-X800M2. This unit has no DAC. It plays to your AVR DAP via HDMI. The more expensive UBP-1100ES has a DAC, which would be appreciated for stereo SACD processing if your AVR or Prepro has no HDMI input.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Get the Sony UBP-X800M2. This unit has no DAC. It plays to your AVR DAP via HDMI. The more expensive UBP-1100ES has a DAC, which would be appreciated for stereo SACD processing if your AVR or Prepro has no HDMI input.
Or as long as it even has analog inputs, in the event that you are looking for hi-rez audio capabilities. My current pre/pro has no analog.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I got the new Sony X1100ES to replace a dead Oppo BDP-93. I'm not set up for 4k but it handles newer discs better than the Oppo did. Plus you get DVD-A and SACD capability. I would recommend this model if $600 isn't too steep and you want a universal player.

Jim

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Ninja
Wasn't the new Panasonic supposed to supposed to be good substitute for the OPPO? Seem to remember positive reviews.

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
I'd say get the Sony UBP-X800M2 as well. It plays everything, and is usually on sale on Amazon.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I would make an argument for getting the newest possible model. In my experience, BluRay isn't really a standard. A player that plays today's discs may not play tomorrow's discs. It's good to have something with the most recent firmware.

Jim

B

bo55554r

Enthusiast
There is no replacement for OPPO 203
If you don't see movies through Blue Ray Disc
Or Ultra Blue Ray Disc.

don't buy any Blue Ray device, they don't play movies well .

you can also buy an NVIDIA Shield TV Pro device
that plays movies and any kind of sound

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis