4K HDR new receiver?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for all the help. Guess I have to see if it’s worth upgrading to a new 4K receiver. Like I said all my viewing is YouTube tv (which basically has little to no 4K content), kodi and Netflix. Currently im just streaming at 1080p and using Dolby Digital plus.
If I do bite the bullet on the new receiver the 4K content with kodi doesn’t seem to be that big yet (at least with the build im using). Maybe by upgrading the receiver I will get the audio improvements going from DD+ to Atmos but are the improvements in Atmos that noticeable and worth it? I think Kodi does stream Atmos?
The RX-A4A, A6A and A8A Pre-out Voltage is 2.0V, which is plenty good. In the past, LOWER MODELS (like RX-A880) were capped off around 1.5V (I think). But the RX-A1080 and now RX-A4A are at 2.0V. The Subwoofer Pre-out is 6.5V.

Most amps have a 28dB Voltage Gain. 2.0V = 315 Watts.

So absolutely no worries to me.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Ok thanks for that. Is that my only option? Will that run my audio back to my receiver for output? That will also require me to snake another cable through the wall but I guess I can do it. And what about when I want to switch to Xbox or a different source since this won’t be using monitor out hdmi on receiver will that require I manually have to unplug the wire each time?
What is the speaker setup? 5.1? An atmos capable receiver wouldn't add much unless you plan on an atmos speaker arrangement. There are a few options to choose from with your current setup. Given the same gear, I'd connect everything to the TV and use an optical cable to the receiver. That model Samsung TV should still have the DTS Neo 2:5 feature. If equipped, it can convert all of the audio input to it and output it to the receiver in DTS 5.1. ARC will let you pass DD+ to the receiver but you will have to turn on HDMI-CEC in the TV and receiver. Samsung calls it "Anynet+" and it needs to be on for ARC to work. HDMI-CEC and ARC can be headaches and many opt for the optical cable connection. Not much is lost from DD+ to DD with an optical connection. If you decide you want lossless Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio from a 4K disc player, just get one with two HDMI outputs and send the video directly to the TV and the audio directly to your receiver.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
What is the speaker setup? 5.1? An atmos capable receiver wouldn't add much unless you plan on an atmos speaker arrangement. There are a few options to choose from with your current setup. Given the same gear, I'd connect everything to the TV and use an optical cable to the receiver. That model Samsung TV should still have the DTS Neo 2:5 feature. If equipped, it can convert all of the audio input to it and output it to the receiver in DTS 5.1. ARC will let you pass DD+ to the receiver but you will have to turn on HDMI-CEC in the TV and receiver. Samsung calls it "Anynet+" and it needs to be on for ARC to work. HDMI-CEC and ARC can be headaches and many opt for the optical cable connection. Not much is lost from DD+ to DD with an optical connection. If you decide you want lossless Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio from a 4K disc player, just get one with two HDMI outputs and send the video directly to the TV and the audio directly to your receiver.
Thanks for the options! I don’t plan on adding any more speakers. Current set up 5.1.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis