4K HDR new receiver?

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
Current set up I have a Samsung 65 inch MU7500 Tv 4K tv. I mainly stream everything from fire cube which also is a 4K source mainly Netflix, prime video, you tube tv etc.
my Receiver is a Yamaha rxv 667 ( I don’t believe this is a 4 k receiver. When I run the HDMI cable from the fire cube to my receiver and then to my TV I don’t get any 4K the max I get is 1080 P. If I switch it up and run an HDMI cable From the fire cube directly to the TV then I get 4K/hdr. I’m assuming my only option here is to get a new receiver? If I allow pass-through and turn off my receiver I also get 4K Which really stinks, I can’t use optical because the new fire cube does not have an optical out. Any thoughts?

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Run the cube straight into your Tv,then run another hdmi cable from your TV hdmi arc out and connect It to your receivers hdmi in. You will have to go into settings on both your tv and cube and activate arc.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
Ok thanks for that. Is that my only option? Will that run my audio back to my receiver for output? That will also require me to snake another cable through the wall but I guess I can do it. And what about when I want to switch to Xbox or a different source since this won’t be using monitor out hdmi on receiver will that require I manually have to unplug the wire each time?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Get an AVR that supports 4K. You won't get the audio formats properly when looping to the TV first, even with ARC in my experience. If your AVR doesn't support 4K currently, you will likely also be adding Atmos and DTS-X capability as well.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
Get an AVR that supports 4K. You won't get the audio formats properly when looping to the TV first, even with ARC in my experience. If your AVR doesn't support 4K currently, you will likely also be adding Atmos and DTS-X capability as well.
Recommendations on a receiver? I’ve always used Yamaha. I am using an Emotiva amp to power speakers so the receiver is just be used as a Pre

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Give it a try. ARC stands for audio return channel, it just sends the audio back to your receiver.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Recommendations on a receiver? I’ve always used Yamaha. I am using an Emotiva amp to power speakers so the receiver is just be used as a Pre
Current gen Yamahas are good I'd say, which model depends on your budget. I am a Marantz and Denon fan myself, but I think all 3 of those brands are going to give you a good choice for the same $$$.

ARC does work, but it is entirely dependent on the exact selection of gear you have. If they all have slightly different formats (HDMI normally) then you quickly end up with it not working when one or more of them decides it doesn't want to play nice. The whole purpose of the AVR is to manage the audio and video distribution.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
If I do get a new Receiver should I be looking at 8k for future capabilities? Also my rxv667 has pre outs that I run to my amp for fronts, center and surrounds, I don’t see preouts on the denon receivers only for fronts.
my rxv667 has a 12v trigger out that I use to signal power off to my power conditioner do denon receivers have this I don’t see it?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
8K content is very uncommon, and will continue to stay so for many years to come. I would look at other features than just 8K support as such.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
my rxv667 has a 12v trigger out that I use to signal power off to my power conditioner do denon receivers have this I don’t see it?
Depends on the model of the Denon AVR. My Denon has two 12v triggers and I use them both, one for each of my subwoofers. Where I to buy a new receiver today then at least two triggers would be a requirement. If my SVS subwoofers had a trigger out I would only need one in the receiver. Much more useful than 8K support for me.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the replies. After looking at many models of receiver's very few have pre outs for speakers now. Wondering why this is? Do most people not run speakers off an external amp? I’m really having a hard time finding any models that have preamps for all 5.1 speakers like my rxv667 does.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the replies. After looking at many models of receiver's very few have pre outs for speakers now. Wondering why this is? Do most people not run speakers off an external amp? I’m really having a hard time finding any models that have preamps for all 5.1 speakers like my rxv667 does.
For that you’ll have to pay more as they are removed from lower models.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
I am running svs ultra bookshelves and center. Wonder if svs recommends an external amp? Or any thoughts?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It would have to be the Yamaha RX-A4A, which has pre-outs for 7.2CH. The models below that (RX-V6, RX-A2) only have 2.2CH Pre-outs.

Most consumers do not need any external amps.

External amps are usually for audiophiles who own speakers that usually cost $3,000/pair or more and processors that usually cost $1,500 or more. :D

Last edited:
M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
Great recommendation looks like RX-A4A does have everything I need. Price is strep at $1700. Wonder if it’s worth spending to get Atmos and 4K
Thanks!!!

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Great recommendation looks like RX-A4A does have everything I need. Thanks!!!
Just be careful if you are gonna use Yamaha to control an amp. In the past the pre-outs voltage was very low to fully drive an amp. It's why I went to Denon when I wanted to use a receiver as a processor.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Great recommendation looks like RX-A4A does have everything I need. Price is strep at $1700. Wonder if it’s worth spending to get Atmos and 4K
Thanks!!!
I have the RX-A4A, No issues, I highly recommend it.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for all the help. Guess I have to see if it’s worth upgrading to a new 4K receiver. Like I said all my viewing is YouTube tv (which basically has little to no 4K content), kodi and Netflix. Currently im just streaming at 1080p and using Dolby Digital plus.
If I do bite the bullet on the new receiver the 4K content with kodi doesn’t seem to be that big yet (at least with the build im using). Maybe by upgrading the receiver I will get the audio improvements going from DD+ to Atmos but are the improvements in Atmos that noticeable and worth it? I think Kodi does stream Atmos?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks!!!
The MSRP is $1400.

Are you outside the USA? :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis