4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Furiosa: Mad Max Saga

PQ
- Standard theater picture quality. They're running 2k projectors so, it's the best 2k will look. Closeups had pretty good detail and the desert landscape looked good. Cinematography was very good. This movie should look better on a 4k projector. A negative with this movie was the CGI. Like TV CGI bad. You'd think with a budget of $170 million they would've had top tier CGI, but it was not. I don't want to give any specific scenes away, but you will be able to easily spot the bad CGI on the screen.

SQ-Was actually disappointed in the sound quality. It did not match Fury Road at all. It was all over the place with highs and lows. During a scene with Hemsworth, he was talking to everyone, and it sounded like he was talking from a distance even though he was front and center on the screen. Then other big shots with explosions the bass was very weak and front stage was mid at best. Then there would be massive bass and sound in scenes that didn't have heavy action going on at all. Overall, the sound mixing on this movie is 5/10 for me. Nothing compared to Fury Road's demo worthy sound on the 4k.

I'm going to give this movie an 8/10. It's definitely not Fury Road quality, which is 10/10, but it does bring you back into the Mad Max world. There are some very cool action-packed scenes. I can only imagine how long it took them to film some of the chase scenes. The camera work during these chase scenes is top notch. The bad CGI and all over the place sound mix brought the score down for me. Also, I personally think the movie could have easily been 20-25 mins shorter. It was a bit long on the run time. If you are a casual fan of the Mad Max movies, I think waiting to see it on 4k disc or K-scape is absolutely fine. If you are a HUGE Mad Max fan, then see it in theaters. :D
I am glad I am waiting for this movie come to streaming then. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Civil War 2024 4K ATMOS streaming.

PQ. Looks great in my HT system. Shot using 8K digital camera.

SQ. Reference quality ATMOS during flyover scenes. Some great bass. If you want to check to see if your ATMOS speakers are working, check out these scenes:

1.17.06 - 1.17.14 Jets
1.20.48 - 1.22.48 Helicopters
1.24.26 - 1.25.0 Helicopters
1.30.15 - 1.31.0 Helicopters

Story/Writing. Overall I like the movie, except for one stupid scene that happens in a lot of movies, including Godzilla Minus One. If you want to save someone from getting hit by pushing them out of the way, then let the momentum/force take you down along with them. Don’t just push them down so you can stand up straight like an idiot to take the hit. Just stupid and I thought Alex Garland was smarter than that.
I need to watch this one. I'm a pretty big fan of Alex.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I am glad I am waiting for this movie come to streaming then. :D
I guess globally, Furiosa was not a hit.... haha. Garfield might win the weekend and take the #1 spot for this 4-day Memorial weekend. Though, one has to wonder why they released an R-rated movie for Memorial weekend. Fury Road released the weekend before Memorial Weekend and did around $45 million domestic. Globally, Fury Road brought in around $380 million. Right now, as of yesterday Furiosa box office is around $59 million globally. Yikes!

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Civil War 2024 4K ATMOS streaming.

PQ. Looks great in my HT system. Shot using 8K digital camera.

SQ. Reference quality ATMOS during flyover scenes. Some great bass. If you want to check to see if your ATMOS speakers are working, check out these scenes:

1.17.06 - 1.17.14 Jets
1.20.48 - 1.22.48 Helicopters
1.24.26 - 1.25.0 Helicopters
1.30.15 - 1.31.0 Helicopters

Story/Writing. Overall I like the movie, except for one stupid scene that happens in a lot of movies, including Godzilla Minus One. If you want to save someone from getting hit by pushing them out of the way, then let the momentum/force take you down along with them (like in “Boy Kills World”). Don’t just push them down while you can stand up straight like an idiot to take the hit. Just stupid and I thought Alex Garland was smarter than that.
I would like to see this movie. I'm going to wait for it to hit Max. Alex Garland movies are pretty solid. He's got Ex-Machina, 28 days later and Annihilation. He did take a huge swing with his movie Men. Which I did not see and have no interest in seeing. He's good for A24 Studios. I don't think he'd work out for a big studio that likes to hand out $100+ million for a movie. He's good in the smaller movie realm. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I guess globally, Furiosa was not a hit.... haha. Garfield might win the weekend and take the #1 spot for this 4-day Memorial weekend. Though, one has to wonder why they released an R-rated movie for Memorial weekend. Fury Road released the weekend before Memorial Weekend and did around $45 million domestic. Globally, Fury Road brought in around $380 million. Right now, as of yesterday Furiosa box office is around $59 million globally. Yikes!
Agreed. IMO, Furiosa has to reach $300 million worldwide to be considered a hit. Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes is already around $300 million worldwide.

IMO, blockbusters are at least $500 million worldwide- like Dune2, Godzilla x Kong.

Even “Elemental “ and “Ant-Man” made it to almost $500 million worldwide in 2023. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Furiosa: Mad Max Saga

PQ
- Standard theater picture quality. They're running 2k projectors so, it's the best 2k will look. Closeups had pretty good detail and the desert landscape looked good. Cinematography was very good. This movie should look better on a 4k projector. A negative with this movie was the CGI. Like TV CGI bad. You'd think with a budget of $170 million they would've had top tier CGI, but it was not. I don't want to give any specific scenes away, but you will be able to easily spot the bad CGI on the screen.

SQ-Was actually disappointed in the sound quality. It did not match Fury Road at all. It was all over the place with highs and lows. During a scene with Hemsworth, he was talking to everyone, and it sounded like he was talking from a distance even though he was front and center on the screen. Then other big shots with explosions the bass was very weak and front stage was mid at best. Then there would be massive bass and sound in scenes that didn't have heavy action going on at all. Overall, the sound mixing on this movie is 5/10 for me. Nothing compared to Fury Road's demo worthy sound on the 4k.

I'm going to give this movie an 8/10. It's definitely not Fury Road quality, which is 10/10, but it does bring you back into the Mad Max world. There are some very cool action-packed scenes. I can only imagine how long it took them to film some of the chase scenes. The camera work during these chase scenes is top notch. The bad CGI and all over the place sound mix brought the score down for me. Also, I personally think the movie could have easily been 20-25 mins shorter. It was a bit long on the run time. If you are a casual fan of the Mad Max movies, I think waiting to see it on 4k disc or K-scape is absolutely fine. If you are a HUGE Mad Max fan, then see it in theaters. :D
We saw it in IMAX. It looked decent, not spectacular. I wouldn't say all of the CG was bad, but I think I know the specific scene you are talking about and that was very blatantly obvious. Something tells me they might have been covering up something else that was worse? Of note, I saw an article that said Anya did some of her own stunts during the rig battle scenes.

SQ in our theater was pretty good though. Fair amount of Atmos activity, and overall good sound. I did notice some odd mixing though, where something is going on slightly off camera but ALL of the sound came from the left in one scene. In the battle scenes, the sound was solid.

The movie itself was good, we both liked it. There are some odd things with the plot that don't add up and I agree, it could have been shorter. The final resolution also isn't quite as satisfying as I would have liked. It was creative, but not how I would expect a film of this nature to wrap.

This film has the highest score of a Mad Max film so far, but it sounds like ticket sales are slow. Our IMAX theater was not 100% full, but the Dolby Cinema shows were sold out. Miller says he wants to do another prequel - younger Max, which could be interesting.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
It flopped globally. Mad Max was a guest in his own movie the last time around and I don't remember anybody asking for a Furiosa origin story. Of course they are thinking of bringing Mad Max back into it. They should not have recast the role in the first place and didn't learn a lesson from it. Fury Road could have been even better with a grizzled Mel in the role instead of Tom. They then basically handed it all off to Charlene and then tossed her aside as well for a younger actress in the next round. You also don't cast somebody very famous for playing one of the good guys in the villain role and think people will buy it if you just put a ridiculous prosthetic on his face. It deserved to flop. Mel Gibson said some s#%tty things after getting sauced a long time ago. It happens. Let's all move on already.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I won’t mind too much if Furioso tanks at the box office. That would mean I will get to see it streaming a lot sooner than later. :D

Then I can give my take on the movie.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Dune Part 2, 4K ATMOS UHD BD Disc.

Story. I like it. 2nd time watching. I liked it even better the 2nd time around.

PQ. Looks great on my 150” screen. Shot with 6.5K IMAX digital camera.

SQ. Bass is top-notch- A+ grade. My room was shaking almost the entire movie. :D

Bed-speakers Surround Sound (5.1/7.1) is excellent. Awesome 5.1 surround sound.

ATMOS sound effect gets a big F - for FAKEMOS. I had to triple check to make sure my AVP was showing “ATMOS” on the LCD. Didn’t hear anything from my 4 Atmos ceiling speakers. Even during scenes where aircrafts were flying directly overhead, or missiles flying overhead, I didn’t hear anything overhead. Sorry a$$ FAKEMOS.

I had to rewatch those scenes I noted in Civil War 4K ATMOS STREAMING to compare to a REAL ATMOS movie. Put a huge :D on my face again.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Dune Part 2, 4K ATMOS UHD BD Disc.

Story. I like it. 2nd time watching. I liked it even better the 2nd time around.

PQ. Looks great on my 150” screen. Shot with 6.5K IMAX digital camera.

SQ. Bass is top-notch- A+ grade. My room was shaking almost the entire movie. :D

Bed-speakers Surround Sound (5.1/7.1) is excellent. Awesome 5.1 surround sound.

ATMOS sound effect gets a big F - for FAKEMOS. I had to triple check to make sure my AVP was showing “ATMOS” on the LCD. Didn’t hear anything from my 4 Atmos ceiling speakers. Even during scenes where aircrafts were flying directly overhead, or missiles flying overhead, I didn’t hear anything overhead. Sorry a$$ FAKEMOS.

I had to rewatch those scenes I noted in Civil War 4K ATMOS STREAMING to compare to a REAL ATMOS movie. Put a huge :D on my face again.
That's disappointing that your Atmos wasn't working properly. Might need to replace them with better speakers or toss your processor. Seems to be junk... :p :cool:

I wouldn't say Dune 2 Atmos is "fake Atmos" I could easily hear sounds coming from my overhead speakers during the movie. I was fully engulfed in sound while watching Dune 2. Could there have been more dynamic atmos, most definitely. The dynamic sound was not there. More static. But solid 7.1 mix.

There are so few movies that actually utilize atmos to it's fullest potential. There are probably less than 20 movies out there that actually give the viewer a full dynamic 7.1 atmos dream scenario. Gravity being probably one of THEE best ATMOS movies on the market. That movie was the first movie to incorporate atmos. So the director went nuts with it and it clearly shows when watching it. I recently picked up the "new" re-release of Gravity on Blu Ray that comes with the Atmos mix. I also own it on digital through Apple and have the 3D version. That entire movie is Demo in both Atmos and 3D.

Another great movie that utilizes Atmos is the Bond movie Not time to Die. When Bond is talking with Paloma (Ana de Armas) over the radio at that club. I saw that movie in a very crappy theater and the sound was horrible. When I watched it in my theater it was a night and day experience both picture and sound. The Atmos was 1000x better and I was able to actually enjoy the movie a lot more.

I just don't think many directors are going to utilize a full dynamic atmos setup for their movies. Unless they have specific scenes like those in Gravity or No Time to Die that will really use Atmos to it's fullest potential. I think the grand majority of movies are just going to use atmos for random background or random above head noise. Which is mainly birds, planes or the random scream from an explosion. Something to that nature. :)

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
It flopped globally. Mad Max was a guest in his own movie the last time around and I don't remember anybody asking for a Furiosa origin story. Of course they are thinking of bringing Mad Max back into it. They should not have recast the role in the first place and didn't learn a lesson from it. Fury Road could have been even better with a grizzled Mel in the role instead of Tom. They then basically handed it all off to Charlene and then tossed her aside as well for a younger actress in the next round. You also don't cast somebody very famous for playing one of the good guys in the villain role and think people will buy it if you just put a ridiculous prosthetic on his face. It deserved to flop. Mel Gibson said some s#%tty things after getting sauced a long time ago. It happens. Let's all move on already.
Supposedly, George Miller had this Furiosa planned out before he started filming Fury Road. It just took over a decade to finally come out because of some contract crap between Miller and WB. Then during this decade long break, WB released a Mad Max video game and some comics. Unfortunately, the comics failed and didn't' generate the money they thought and I don't think the video game did that well either. There are characters from both video game and comics that appear in Furiosa. I think WB was not happy with the results of both the video game and comics. They didn't want to pull the trigger on an actual Furiosa movie at that time. Well, clearly they might've been correct. Since it's bombing at the box office. I suspect it will do pretty good business on streaming and physical disc release. Unfortunately, that's not where movie studios want to make most of their revenue. I'm guessing this might be the last Mad Max movie we see for a long time. :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
It is too bad. The first two Mad Max movies were really something. “Thunder Dome” may have had a bit too much of the Hollywood treatment to it and “Fury Road” was frankly just a “Me Too” movie with a great audio and video presentation.

Timing is everything. Some movies are simply released on the wrong weekend while others are released during a time of cultural and political shift. It all matters when blockbuster movies cost around two hundred million dollars and about another one hundred million dollars are spent on promotion world wide. They have to gross around six hundred million dollars to break even.

Pricey streaming rentals can help a flop. “The Fall Guy” can now be rented for $19.99 or digitally purchased for $24.99 after the theatrical release was a bust. It was another “Who was asking for this thing?” movie that was miscast and released at the wrong time.

And, sometimes, movie makers don't learn from their own mistakes and aging actors can’t let go and they give you “Crystal Skull” and then follow it up with “Dial of Destiny.”:confused:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
We watched Fall Guy last weekend and thought it was pretty good. It has some odd, totally derailing moments, but fun action all about the physical stunts. Not a great movie, but fun popcorn flick.

While I like almost all of the Mad Max films, Thunder Road being the weakest one IMO, the first film is the best one for me by far. I liked Fury Road and I liked Furiosa, but they're different and more "modern" to meet current studio expectations.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
I might have given "The Fall Guy" a chance but the casting of Blunt didn't do it for me and I hate reboots that erase the originals. They could have gotten fans of the show in on it if they had simply made him Colt Jr and Lee Majors was around for the whole of the movie as Sr. Older now, he hurts himself stunt doubling for Harrison Ford, who is also too damn old for this s#%t by the way and broke some bones on "Dial of Destiny," and asks for his son's help on his last bounty hunt. Majors was surprisingly funny playing the father of Ash in "Ash vs Evil Dead." This one could have been a respectful handoff and moved things over to Jr's adventures. They could have called it "The Fall Guys" which was actually the original title of the show before Majors pulled rank and had it changed. Eh, life goes on.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There are probably less than 20 movies out there that actually give the viewer a full dynamic 7.1 atmos dream scenario.
Yeah I was referring to the Overhead-Atmos sound.

I can count a lot more than 20 movies with GREAT Overhead-ATMOS soundtracks that are easily heard and not subtle at all. Dune-2 is NOT one of them.

If you watch "Civil War", check out those scenes that I noted. I guarantee you - the Overhead-ATMOS sounds are NOT SUBTLE at all - they are IN YOUR FACE. :D

Civil War 2024 8K Atmos
Godzilla Minus One 2023 6K Sony Venice Atmos
Twister 1996 Atmos
Leave the World Behind 2023 6K Sony Venice Atmos
Dungeons & Dragons 2023 4.5K Atmos
Transformers Rise of the Beast 2023 4.5K Atmos
Moonfall 2022 8K Red Monstro Atmos
65 2023 4K Atmos
Ant-Man Quantumania 2023 Atmos
The Batman 2022 4K Atmos
13 Hours 2016 4K Atmos
2012 2009 4K Atmos
Alita Battle Angel 2019 4K Atmos
Another Life 2019 4K Atmos (Netflix TV series)
Atomic Blonde 2017 4K DTSX
Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition 4K Atmos
Blade Runner 2049 2017 4K Atmos
Blade Runner 1982 4K Atmos
Black Hawk Down 2001 4K Atmos
Cloverfield Paradox 2018 Atmos
Dredd 2012 4K Atmos
The Equalizer 2014 4K Atmos
Godzilla 2014 4K Atmos
Godzilla King of the Monsters 2019 4K Atmos
Gravity 2013 Atmos
The Great Wall 2016 4K Atmos
Harry Potter franchise (8 movies) 2001-2011 4K DTSX
Hunter Killer 2018 4K Atmos
Jupiter Ascending 4K Atmos
Jurassic World 4K DTSX
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom 4K DTSX
Kong Skull Island 2017 4K Atmos
Lucy 2014 4K Atmos
The Matrix Trilogy 1999, 2003, 2003 4K Atmos
Oblivion 2013 4K Atmos
Pacific Rim 2013 4K Atmos
Pet Sematary (2019) 4K Atmos
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies 2016 4K Atmos
Ready Player One 2018 Atmos
Robin Hood 2018 Atmos
Salt 2010 4K Atmos
Sully 2016 4K Atmos
Terminator Genisys 4K Atmos
Twilight 2008 4K Atmos
Underworld 2003 4K Atmos
Underworld Blood Wars 2016 4K Atmos
X-Men Dark Phoenix 2019 4K Atmos
Edge of Tomorrow 2014 4K Atmos
Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City 2021 4K Atmos
POTC Dead Men Tell No Tales 2017 4K Atmos
Eternals 2021 4.5K Arri Alexa Atmos
Lost in Space 2018 TV Series
Spider-Man 2 2004
Spider-Man 3 2007
The Amazing Spider-Man 2012
Doctor Strange-2 2022
Man of Steel 2013
The Dark Tower 2017

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I can count a lot more than 20 movies with GREAT ATMOS soundtracks that are easily heard and not subtle at all. Dune-2 is NOT one of them.

If you watch "Civil War", check out those scenes that I noted. I guarantee you - the ATMOS sounds are NOT SUBTLE at all - it is IN YOUR FACE. :D

Civil War 2024 8K Atmos
Godzilla Minus One 2023 6K Sony Venice Atmos
Twister 1996 Atmos
Leave the World Behind 2023 6K Sony Venice Atmos
Dungeons & Dragons 2023 4.5K Atmos
Transformers Rise of the Beast 2023 4.5K Atmos
Moonfall 2022 8K Red Monstro Atmos
65 2023 4K Atmos
Ant-Man Quantumania 2023 Atmos
The Batman 2022 4K Atmos
13 Hours 2016 4K Atmos
2012 2009 4K Atmos
Alita Battle Angel 2019 4K Atmos
Another Life 2019 4K Atmos (Netflix TV series)
Atomic Blonde 2017 4K DTSX
Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition 4K Atmos
Blade Runner 2049 2017 4K Atmos
Blade Runner 1982 4K Atmos
Black Hawk Down 2001 4K Atmos
Cloverfield Paradox 2018 Atmos
Dredd 2012 4K Atmos
The Equalizer 2014 4K Atmos
Godzilla 2014 4K Atmos
Godzilla King of the Monsters 2019 4K Atmos
Gravity 2013 Atmos
The Great Wall 2016 4K Atmos
Harry Potter franchise (8 movies) 2001-2011 4K DTSX
Hunter Killer 2018 4K Atmos
Jupiter Ascending 4K Atmos
Jurassic World 4K DTSX
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom 4K DTSX
Kong Skull Island 2017 4K Atmos
Lucy 2014 4K Atmos
The Matrix Trilogy 1999, 2003, 2003 4K Atmos
Oblivion 2013 4K Atmos
Pacific Rim 2013 4K Atmos
Pet Sematary (2019) 4K Atmos
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies 2016 4K Atmos
Ready Player One 2018 Atmos
Robin Hood 2018 Atmos
Salt 2010 4K Atmos
Sully 2016 4K Atmos
Terminator Genisys 4K Atmos
Twilight 2008 4K Atmos
Underworld 2003 4K Atmos
Underworld Blood Wars 2016 4K Atmos
X-Men Dark Phoenix 2019 4K Atmos
Edge of Tomorrow 2014 4K Atmos
Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City 2021 4K Atmos
POTC Dead Men Tell No Tales 2017 4K Atmos
Eternals 2021 4.5K Arri Alexa Atmos
Lost in Space 2018 TV Series
Spider-Man 2 2004
Spider-Man 3 2007
The Amazing Spider-Man 2012
Doctor Strange-2 2022
Man of Steel 2013
The Dark Tower 2017
A lot of these movies are all static Atmos mixes. Not dynamic. Or they have specific scenes that are dynamic but 90% static throughout. Some will definitely sound better than others, but I wouldn't call all those listed as "Demo" worth atmos mixes. There are some movies on there that will crush the Bass levels which usually offsets the mediocre Atmos soundtracks.

Now I'm not saying Dune 2 has demo worthy Atmos. But it's Demo worthy all around sound. I can see at least 10 on that list that are Demo worthy soundtracks. But the rest are not Demo worthy they're the step down at "great" soundtracks.

Shane Lee on YouTube does great reviews of movies with his Trinnov. He uses the Atmos viewer to see which channels are active and which are not and what kind of Atmos sound mix it is (dynamic/static). Just another great software piece with Trinnov! :D :p He's done a lot of reviews of the movies listed above.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
A lot of these movies are all static Atmos mixes. Not dynamic. Or they have specific scenes that are dynamic but 90% static throughout. Some will definitely sound better than others, but I wouldn't call all those listed as "Demo" worth atmos mixes. There are some movies on there that will crush the Bass levels which usually offsets the mediocre Atmos soundtracks.

Now I'm not saying Dune 2 has demo worthy Atmos. But it's Demo worthy all around sound. I can see at least 10 on that list that are Demo worthy soundtracks. But the rest are not Demo worthy they're the step down at "great" soundtracks.

Shane Lee on YouTube does great reviews of movies with his Trinnov. He uses the Atmos viewer to see which channels are active and which are not and what kind of Atmos sound mix it is (dynamic/static). Just another great software piece with Trinnov! :D :p He's done a lot of reviews of the movies listed above.
You need a machine to tell you that your Atmos sounds good? Who cares if it's "static" or "dynamic" if the Atmos sounds awesome - aircrafts/missiles/etc. appropriately panning overhead front to back, left to right, front left to back-right, etc.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
You need a machine to tell you that your Atmos sounds good? Who cares if it's "static" or "dynamic" if the Atmos sounds awesome - aircrafts/missiles/etc. appropriately panning overhead front to back, left to right, front left to back-right, etc.
hahaha, well big difference if it's static vs dynamic. Difference between great and Demo worthy. I do like seeing how the sound is going through the speakers. An awesome software feature of the #1 processor in the world, Trinnov. I can't flipping wait to get one!!!

For me, I have not been blown away by too many Atmos mixes in the last few years. Only a handful. Sure, there are scenes in a lot of movies that you can tell they went above and beyond in, but then overall for that movie they just went mid the rest of the way. There are tons of movies like that. Just look at all the Marvel movies. You would expect to have THEE best Atmos mixes for all of them, but all 30 of them are some of the worst out there. And not just Atmos, the entire sound mix on them is horrible. Just a tragedy really.

WB, Sony and sometimes Paramount (for big studios) have released some of the best sounding 4k's on the market.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis