4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Watched Bullet Train last night 4K (has FEL layer for those that care)
Top notch video and audio quality....Brad Pitt was a total hoot in this.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Watched Bullet Train last night 4K (has FEL layer for those that care)
Top notch video and audio quality....Brad Pitt was a total hoot in this.
I liked it a lot also. Also thought Video and Audio were good.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Disney has one movie in June 2023 that might be good - Indian Jones #5.

Shot using the 4.5K Resolution Arri Alexa digital camera. So picture quality should be great, unless the camera guy doesn’t know how to hold the camera. :D

ATMOS sound quality might be good since it is Lucas Film (THX). :D

It is written by Jez Butterworth (Edge of Tomorrow- my favorite movie of all times, Ford vs. Ferrari, Spectre) and directed by James Mangold (The Wolverine, Logan, Ford vs Ferrari).
If Indiana Jones #4 is any indication of what they want from Indy #5, I have very low expectations.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If Indiana Jones #4 is any indication of what they want from Indy #5, I have very low expectations.
#4 sucked badly for sure, directed by Steven Spielberg, who I think is overrated. :D

George Lucas also had a hand in the writing.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just saw “Cocaine Bear 2023” in 4K/ATMOS.

PQ: Looks great, shot in 4.5K resolution Arri Alexa digital camera.
SQ: Some good ATMOS effects - one good scene I recall was when the Cocaine Bear was killing this guy up in the tree - I could hear all the sound effects from the ceiling. Overall very good.

I liked this movie. Dark comedy monster movie about a black bear addicted to cocaine which caused her to go crazy and killed a bunch of people. That’s original. :D

Of note, I counted 3 main actors in this movie from the TV series “The Americans”. Felt like a reunion or something. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I just saw “Cocaine Bear 2023” in 4K/ATMOS.

PQ: Looks great, shot in 4.5K resolution Arri Alexa digital camera.
SQ: Some good ATMOS effects - one good scene I recall was when the Cocaine Bear was killing this guy up in the tree - I could hear all the sound effects from the ceiling. Overall very good.

I liked this movie. Dark comedy monster movie about a black bear addicted to cocaine which caused her to go crazy and killed a bunch of people. That’s original. :D

Of note, I counted 3 main actors in this movie from the TV series “The Americans”. Felt like a reunion or something. :D
Can’t wait to see this movie! Looks fun!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Avatar 2 - The Way of Water in 4K/ATMOS streaming.

PQ. Absolutely awesome. But everyone already knew that. This movie was shot using the Sony Venice 6.5K-Resolution IMAX digital camera with a production budget of almost $300 million.

SQ. I had to increase my master volume by about 8dB. After that the ATMOS soundtrack was very good. There were some good overhead sound effects, but I didn’t think there were any incredible standout scenes. Bass seemed very good. Just very good overall, but not REFERENCE DEMO in my book. Absolutely nothing compared to “Moonfall”.

So maybe Cameron or his team has something to learn here. Cameron is great with the video, but not as awesome with the ATMOS.

The movie/plot/writing: not as good as Avatar-1 IMO. Very basic story like everyone already said. It is a good movie IMO, but not THAT great. Nothing compared to “Edge of Tomorrow” IMO.

So, after seeing this movie and looking back, I don’t see how this movie made $2.3 BILLIONS! :eek: :D

James Cameron must know some magic.

Box Office:
Titanic: $2.25 Billion

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Avatar 2 - The Way of Water in 4K/ATMOS streaming.

PQ. Absolutely awesome. But everyone already knew that. This movie was shot using the Sony Venice 6.5K-Resolution IMAX digital camera with a production budget of almost $300 million.

SQ. I had to increase my master volume by about 8dB. After that the ATMOS soundtrack was very good. There were some good overhead sound effects, but I didn’t think there were any incredible standout scenes. Bass seemed very good. Just very good overall, but not REFERENCE DEMO in my book. Absolutely nothing compared to “Moonfall”.

So maybe Cameron or his team has something to learn here. Cameron is great with the video, but not as awesome with the ATMOS.

The movie/plot/writing: not as good as Avatar-1 IMO. Very basic story like everyone already said. It is a good movie IMO, but not THAT great. Nothing compared to “Edge of Tomorrow” IMO.

So, after seeing this movie and looking back, I don’t see how this movie made $2.3 BILLIONS! :eek: :D

James Cameron must know some magic.

Box Office:
Titanic: $2.25 Billion
I’m tempted to purchase the steaming version. Just to see what it’s like. I saw the 3D- Imax version. The Atmos was mixed by Disney so it’s another ATMouse mix. So unfortunately, we won’t be getting demo worthy sound. And I don’t think it’s going to be demo worthy on physical either. I did hear that Iger fired the head of editing/mixing. Or some dept that deals with sound mixes. So let’s just hope they decide to bring in someone that knows how to mix things and creates demo worthy material for all their movies. :D

I want original Cameron material, The Abyss, Terminator, True Lies, redo Terminator 2 4K, Aliens and Titanic.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’m tempted to purchase the steaming version. Just to see what it’s like. I saw the 3D- Imax version. The Atmos was mixed by Disney so it’s another ATMouse mix. So unfortunately, we won’t be getting demo worthy sound. And I don’t think it’s going to be demo worthy on physical either. I did hear that Iger fired the head of editing/mixing. Or some dept that deals with sound mixes. So let’s just hope they decide to bring in someone that knows how to mix things and creates demo worthy material for all their movies. :D

I want original Cameron material, The Abyss, Terminator, True Lies, redo Terminator 2 4K, Aliens and Titanic.
Well that explains the non-reference ATMOS sound I heard on Avatar-2. :D

I mean it was still pretty good, but I just can’t put it in my Reference List. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Well that explains the non-reference ATMOS sound I heard on Avatar-2. :D

I mean it was still pretty good, but I just can’t put it in my Reference List. :D
It just boggles my mind that James Cameron has been so blaze' about 4k releases. He's supposed to be 1000% for the best picture and audio and resolution. He's always been about that in all of his movies, yet he has 1 movie on 4k and it was a terrible remaster of the movie. DNR all over the place and really the sound up mix wasn't that great either. I expect more from James Cameron. He gets what ever he wants from these studios, so why can't he release DEMO worthy physical discs?

Iger can't really do anything to James Cameron since he's making Disney billions for them. If Disney ever did drop him, you can bet Cameron would be snatched up by a rival studio in minutes. Then handed over $300 million for whatever he wanted to do. :D

I wish he was working for Universal, Paramount or Sony. At least they know how to mix sound for movies! :cool:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It just boggles my mind that James Cameron has been so blaze' about 4k releases. He's supposed to be 1000% for the best picture and audio and resolution. He's always been about that in all of his movies, yet he has 1 movie on 4k and it was a terrible remaster of the movie. DNR all over the place and really the sound up mix wasn't that great either. I expect more from James Cameron. He gets what ever he wants from these studios, so why can't he release DEMO worthy physical discs?

Iger can't really do anything to James Cameron since he's making Disney billions for them. If Disney ever did drop him, you can bet Cameron would be snatched up by a rival studio in minutes. Then handed over $300 million for whatever he wanted to do. :D

I wish he was working for Universal, Paramount or Sony. At least they know how to mix sound for movies! :cool:
Right. Disappointing.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

It's honestly because he's so into 3D. He REALLY wants that to be the way everyone watches movies. Anything else and he's not going to be satisfied on the video side.

You'd think with the new object based codecs he'd be really into the audio side, but from what you guys are saying he isn't.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's honestly because he's so into 3D. He REALLY wants that to be the way everyone watches movies. Anything else and he's not going to be satisfied on the video side.

You'd think with the new object based codecs he'd be really into the audio side, but from what you guys are saying he isn't.
Yeah, that's a good point - Cameron seems mainly interested in 3D Video/4K AT THEATERS.

Maybe he doesn't care that much about HOME theaters since he knows most people aren't into 3D videos at home.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, that's a good point - Cameron seems mainly interested in 3D Video/4K AT THEATERS.

Maybe he doesn't care that much about HOME theaters since he knows most people aren't into 3D videos at home.
3D isn’t available on 4K TV so there is that, and was just a gimmick in any case.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
3D isn’t available on 4K TV so there is that, and was just a gimmick in any case.
I agree. I never got into 3D video.

So it seems pretty true that Cameron is mainly interested in 3D video, which is primarily at commercial movie theaters, not home 4K TV.

At least Cameron uses the IMAX 6.5K Resolution Digital Sony Camera and ATMOS audio, unlike Nolan who still uses analog films and DTS-HD MA audio that isn't even mixed correctly sometimes. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
3D at home was better than in most theaters because you have active glasses vs. passive. I really enjoyed it, but it was still a gimmick.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can’t wait to watch the Paramount’s “Dungeons & Dragons 2023” which was shot using the Arri Alexa 4.5K resolution digital camera and mixed in ATMOS.

Thank goodness It’s not Disney. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
When the Honeymoon period was over? :D
I've enjoyed 3D at home on the projector. Avatar 2 in 3D was some of the best 3D I've experienced. I never did see the first Avatar in 3D but I do own it on 3D, now. I've watched some scenes and they look amazing.

Hugo in 3D was very good. If you haven't seen that in 3D I would suggest you try and watch it. Alita Battle Angel in 3D was pretty good too. If you have the screen size, they should look awesome.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis