adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Bodybuilders creep me out.

Maybe it is the thongs... maybe its the fake tanner.... maybe its the overuse of steroids (hey, Arnold used some roids, but these guys are on a whole new level of freakiness).
I completely agree... Its a "sport" I just don't understand. There is a subforum over at that site that addresses losing weight, and one that addresses some nutrition stuff. I have no ambition whatsoever to ever "prep for a contest". It actually makes me a bit uncomfortable thinking about.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
What do "bodybuilders" and "Alex and Adam" have in common when prepping for a contest/match.

They are all rock hard.

Audioholics trivia for 800.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Apparently you've never seen Alex and Adam prep for a Twister match.
... and apparently you have. :D

... gotta turn this into a PPV event. ;)

Edit: Off for my evening walk. I don't know if I mentioned it but Yesterday I ended up buying sweets on my way back.
I'm gonna do better today.

Last edited:
J

jamie2112

Banned
... and apparently you have. :D

... gotta turn this into a PPV event. ;)

Edit: Off for my evening walk. I don't know if I mentioned it but Yesterday I ended up buying sweets on my way back.
I'm gonna do better today.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MrPirate2882

Junior Audioholic
How is it going? Remember you can't force your body to lose weight too fast. Averages are 1-2lbs a week. You'll see bigger drops in the beginning which is just water weight. We all fluctuate about 5lbs or so daily from water storage or not. Just stick to it. I'm sure you'll look at pictures later & see the great progress you've made.

I didn't get a chance to read the whole thread.
You can try swimming if you get bored of walking/running. Everyone is different. But for me what I have found works best is sticking to a set of exercises or a routine for just over 4 weeks then adding variations or changing the entire routine. About 5 weeks or so gives me enough time to get good at the routine & start to notice improvements. Then I switch before it starts to get boring or I get into too much of a routine. If you've ever weight lifted before you can try doing some again. Take it easy though. Best to stick to body weight exercises like pull ups maybe some pushups or squats (you don't have to use the rack).

Jump roping has be known to kick peoples butts back into shape too. Just switch it up, stay creative, & whatever you decide to do remember only you can make yourself do it... so keep it fun. Maybe find some people with similar interests around you.

Bike riding, frisbee, tennis, adult baseball leagues.... w\e there are tons of options.

As far as eating... about a year ago I received one of the best tips ever (from a body builder (i know how much you guys love them... lolz)). It was when you go grocery shopping... stick to the outside of the store; avoid going down the isles. Makes sense if you think about it. Around the outside there is fruit, veggies, milk, eggs, cheese, beef, pork, chicken, other meats, fish, then oats, beans, breads. No need to go down an isle and pick up a frozen pizza, ice cream, chips, or anything else packaged with additives, etc. Keep your meals based off whole foods & that should help a lot. It might be a hard habit to kick (I was lucky; I grew up with my mom the nutritionist forcing whole grain pasta & broccoli down my throat).

& since you are 45 or so it can never hurt to get a somewhat cheap multi vitamin. Just make sure (because you are a man) you don't get one that has iron in it. Taking iron everyday for men undoes all the positive affects of antioxidants. :( You only really lose iron from the body when you bleed... & men don't have periods. so yah.

Oh also about eating.... I'm sure you know by now but conventional wisdom of 2-3 meals a day is WAY WRONG. Make sure you eat every 3 hours. Every time you eat you need to eat some kind of protein (chicken, fish, nuts, etc.) & you need to have a full serving of vegetables. Don't eat anything else that meal until you've had some protein & veggies. That way you've eaten the good stuff first & then if you're still hungry you can add carbs like sweet potatos or brown rice or whole grain bread. Make sure you are drinking water too (not like tons... just you know... don't dehydrate yourself... little sips).

& I'd stay away from supplements if you are looking at them. unless you are looking at a multivitamin or fish oil. usually all of the "fat loss" supplements are just crazy amounts of caffeine to get your heart racing & other stuff that is not natural.

& like I said before try to avoid anything that's not a whole food (aka: pretty packages).

& I apologize if I rambled; i'm just trying to lend a hand & I'm pretty busy so I doubt editing it worth it right now.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
How is it going?
Like sh!t. How you been? :D

No, really, thanks for posting.
That sort of reaffirms what I already have in my head.

This evenings walk included a couple of short and slow paced jogging attempts. That got my heart racing and quick too. No worries about me over doing any of this. Here's something I used to listen too and think it was funny ... now it's happening to me. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Nice job on the walking Alex nothing better no matter what anyone says, when in doubt just slip on the sneakers and go for a walk ten minutes twenty , a half hour, as long as your knees and feet cooperate you will be just fine and the good ole ticker will let you know that you are doing the right thing, nice job brother and good luck in your quest for better overall health it is right there for the taking , sawz..

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Is it any motivation to know your older sister is running upwards of 8-10 miles? :D

Congratulations by the way!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Is it any motivation to know your older sister is running upwards of 8-10 miles? :D
You know? ... it does. That is a completely unacceptable situation that needs to be addressed with way more effort than I was applying. This evening I ran a total of 80-100 yards. I got a ways to go.

Congratulations by the way!
Thanks. It seems like a complete PITA right now but this is a result of quitting smoking and it is still way better than where that was taking me so it's all good ... even the extra weight. ;)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
You know? ... it does. That is a completely unacceptable situation that needs to be addressed with way more effort than I was applying. This evening I ran a total of 80-100 yards. I got a ways to go.

Thanks. It seems like a complete PITA right now but this is a result of quitting smoking and it is still way better than where that was taking me so it's all good ... even the extra weight. ;)
Like they say Alex....baby steps.:D If you could quit smoking....the rest is easy.:)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Just be careful on the ole joints. If you run get good shoes or go barefoot.

I prefer shoes do to the tendency of rocks along trails. Bad shoes will make the ole back hurt.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not a fan of TV, so, maybe that is where we differ. I like movies and music, but, watching mind-numbing TV inside is painful to me.

I'm pretty familiar with training, recovery, and how different diets and regimens influence that - not an expert, but, as someone who has put the chaulk on my hands I've learned a few things from people who are better lifters than I am....and through lifters I've talked to my fair share of doctors, trainers, from all walks of sports.

Cardio is often confused with aerobic fitness or endurance. Aerobic/endurance fitness relates directly to the efficient of oxidative metabolism and is not the same as cardiorespiratory fitness (a healthy heart and lungs). Aerobic fitness like running burns calories, but it does for that time period. The advantage of lifting is the muscle gained lets you burn more ALL the time. As far as health, in the practical sense, when lifting weight, the cardiovascular system is stressed. One of the first is that the contracting muscles compress the blood vessels in those muscles and increase their reistance to flow. This increases blood pressure. This places load on the heart, which over time strengthens it like any other muscle, and it adapts by increasing the thickness of the muscular walls and the increased muscle mass of the heart makes it deliver blood more efficiently. It needs to, because as muscle mass increases.

Anyways...

My arguement isn't that running on a treadmil or something is bad, it's just that it is mentally and physically expensive for what the opportunity costs are (in my opinion). For a busy life, to burn 300 calories running every day gets to be inefficient. To train for an hour three times a week, using basic exercises that work the body as a system, gives you some calorie burning, but also the added strength and muscle mass that helps in regular life. For being more 'active,' doing (to use the venacular) cardio could be doing something fun like washing a car, having wild sex if possible, cleaning, tinkering, moving speakers, or whatever.

Eating 'decently' (shoot for a 40/40/20 diet, protein/carbs/fats ... good fats like natural peanut butter or roasted almonds, not bad fats), but normally (not fretting having a cheeseburger and a beer with your friends, just don't have a cheeseburger, cheesefries, 12 beers and a fudge sunday), and working out (HARD) three times a week for an hour (or whatever program you decide, just keep it simple - simple not to be confused with easy... simple in weightlifting is the hardest), and being active in normal life is, in my opinion, the best way.

For my buddy, I'd recommend starting with working on the low hanging fruit. Cut out garbage food, and starting making the obvious choices. Go for a walk, try to be more active, and see how it goes. As it was said earlier, this is going to be a lifestyle change. So no starving, no radical or not-maintainable ideas.
Nice post. I've got nothing against weight lifting or a more exciting aerobics challenge. Being active is the main thing. Things like parking far away from a store rather than close makes you more fit long term and reduces door dings. Nothing beats wild sex for exercise enjoyment.

Not using a remote also is a good way to increase fitness. How about rearranging the house periodically? That would be a fun way to increase fitness.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I know plenty of skinny people that get tired walking around Walmart for an hour.
I don't know anybody that walks around Walmart for an hour.

Do get a physical if you can swing the cash.
Why? So he can tell me I'm fat?

Don't start ... walking on your weight/fitness level.
If you run ... go barefoot.
Got all the bases covered there.

I will tell you that being fit makes you much better ... in the sack.
How would you know? You've only ever had sex at your current fitness level.

Nothing beats wild sex for exercise enjoyment.
I've been having wild sex longer than you been alive ... and I can tell ya that I'd rather be skiing. ;)

Too funny!:D
Don't encourage him. :rolleyes:

BTW, is that a Great Dane in your avatar?
It is. Name's Hudson. He's some special color too. Really beautiful dog.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know anybody that walks around Walmart for an hour.

How would you know? You've only ever had sex at your current fitness level.

I've been having wild sex longer than you been alive ... and I can tell ya that I'd rather be skiing. ;)
my wife walks around walmart for hours. It's so annoying:rolleyes:

I've gotten more fit since I've been married. Of course there are other factors.

If I understand the last line is something wrong with me. :eek:

I'm still shocked you are in your 40s. I always thought you were in your 20s(young at heart perhaps.:D)

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan

I've gotten more fit since I've been married. Of course there are other factors.

I'm still shocked you are in your 40s. I always thought you were in your 20s(young at heart perhaps.:D)
My wife makes me circle the parking lot until we find a spot up front, then spends hours walking around the store looking at every last item. It's not even all the walking that bothers me. It's the stopping and standing in one place that gets to me.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi, Alex's big sister.
We'll have to talk.
You probably have many stories to share.:)
skyline_123 is my sister's son, my nephew.

... not if you stay home.

Not really. I haven't skied in close to 20 years but it sure is a rush when you are skiing at the very edge of your abilities doing about warp 9.

Just immature.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I had a few more things to say but didn't get as much as a "thank you". So EFF Off you nasty, chunky monkey:eek::D
If you lose too much weight I can't refer to you as my FF friend...

Bottom line is you have to make a lifestyle change that works for you. I find it easy to go to the gym for the most part. I look at it as a way to relieve stress vs. killing someone. I have one simple rule that keeps me in the gym. All I have to do is 'walk in' on scheduled workout days. If I don't feel like lifting once I get there, I can turn around and leave. I have never left without working out. Making yourself get there is the hard part and this rule eliminates that.

During the winter, I don't watch my diet very much. I just make sure I eat plenty of protein and always start the day with a good breakfast and eat at least 5 times a day (2 meals are protein shakes and 1 cup of oatmeal).

Beginning around March, I drop all processed foods and move up to a minimum of 6 meals a day. I also jack up the intensity of my weight lifting. By May, I will always be about 10lbs heavier but much leaner than in the winter.

I hate cardio so all I do is walk with the wife about 3 days a week. It is a good time for us to be together and talk. I'm sure this burns a few calories but nothing like the whole foods and gym time.

Just find something that works for you and make it simple. Learn about whole foods, don't skip meals and be active.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis