4 front speakers . Can I?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Quite a few people with 2ch systems seem to like to do this doubling of speakers (it's even a thing some speaker companies like Advent used to even advertise as something to do), sort of a poor quadraphonic type thing. I figured it was along those lines....
Kinda wondered too, but he’s like 48. Wouldn’t think he’d be after a quasi “quad” thing. Maybe?

R

Rtekkam

Enthusiast
Exactly. Not sure what he’s looking for. I couldn’t help noticing the subs and went straight for them lol. So back to the original question.....lol
Thought behind the 4 fronts was to use the Elacs to their full intended potential ( based on my research). Originslly bought them to use for surrounds. Just wanted to weigh in if there was s possibility.
However, this discussion surely lead to a good discussion surrounding subwoofers. Good feed back on this front and I will be returning the deftech 2000.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thought behind the 4 fronts was to use the Elacs to their full intended potential ( based on my research). Originslly bought them to use for surrounds. Just wanted to weigh in if there was s possibility.
However, this discussion surely lead to a good discussion surrounding subwoofers. Good feed back on this front and I will be returning the deftech 2000.

What does full potential mean to you, though? It's a phrase often tossed around but has little meaning. If you prefer the Elacs as L/R then swap 'em around, otherwise go ahead and use them as you intended as surrounds. You might try this article for more about the acoustic reasons not to do two pairs of L/R speakers (and if you put the surrounds up front you won't get proper surround sound either). https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/comb-filtering

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

I guess I’m not sure what the full potential means in this context. Normally you’d use either the DT’s or the elacs, but not together. Just a little uncertain what you mean is all.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You can do what you want, but 4 front speakers will sound like total crap.
Everett hit the nail on the head here 4 front speakers would be like one monster soundbar sitting in front of you ugh not good I can't imagine the lobing issues and other problems you'd have to deal with as well

I can't even imagine trying to setup a format lol L and R with dual centers? Lol

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I’d like to revisit this a little bit. I think I glossed over the original intent of the 4 speakers. Wonder if that was to use two sets of mains? Or have the surrounds actually placed up front? Hmmmm
Ummm surrounds up in front with the fronts? It's gonna sound like my experiment of mounting all my speakers around the ceiling and on the ceiling to keep them off the floor didn't sound good by the way Lol mind you I was very young and in a galaxy long ago far far away :)

R

Rtekkam

Enthusiast
I guess I’m not sure what the full potential means in this context. Normally you’d use either the DT’s or the elacs, but not together. Just a little uncertain what you mean is all.
Being that the Elacs are good quality speakers based on reviews etc. Just started this thread to enquire if anyone has a set up with 4 fronts
I get that this is a dumb idea.
Will use the Elacs as surrounds. But will now definitely return the deftech 2000 and research an svs.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ummm surrounds up in front with the fronts? It's gonna sound like my experiment of mounting all my speakers around the ceiling and on the ceiling to keep them off the floor didn't sound good by the way Lol mind you I was very young and in a galaxy long ago far far away :)
Lol. That’s why we experiment danno!!!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Being that the Elacs are good quality speakers based on reviews etc. Just started this thread to enquire if anyone has a set up with 4 fronts
Will use the Elacs as surrounds. But will now definitely return the deftech 2000 and research an svs.

Ya know, just for fun you should try the elacs for LR duty. You might like them better that the DT’s. You might not too, just saying. You have em so wth...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I did have a setup with both L/R and Front Wides, but my avr accommodates that (9ch setup using rear surrounds as well as the front wides)...but went back to just L/C/R across the front after a while, just found no particular benefit even with the specialized channels....made it easier to get around that part of the room without the extra speakers up front, too.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Yeah those detftech subs are ahem! Cough! Cough! .... generously as we shall say overinflated in the specs the company clsims. I think you'll be very happy with SVS over the def tech good call in my opinion

R

Rtekkam

Enthusiast
Have someone selling 2 svs sb2000 for 900 on nextdoor. Will try and see if he is willing to sell them individually.
Is this a good subwoofer? Perhaps $450?
Purchased in 2016.
Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Have someone selling 2 svs sb2000 for 900 on nextdoor. Will try and see if he is willing to sell them individually.
Is this a good subwoofer? Perhaps $450?
Purchased in 2016.
Thoughts?

The SB2k is a very nice little subwoofer. It’s only problem is it doesn’t have a ton of output which is typically of smallish sealed subs. Your room is pretty small so if you can work the guy down to a more comfortable price for you, I’d try and get both of them. I saw a guy that used a pair and they were flat to 10hz. Not at 140db however, lol.
FWIW, SVS has an sb2k in the outlet for 649, just for a point of reference. For movies, I’m not convinced a single SB2k will be enough. Maybe the sb3k but that’s gonna be much more expensive.

FWIW, I’m a fan of ported subs, but in the right room, the right sealed ones can be pretty good. Especially if the price is right.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
A pair of pc2k’s would be great in that sized room.

R

Rtekkam

Enthusiast
The SB2k is a very nice little subwoofer. It’s only problem is it doesn’t have a ton of output which is typically of smallish sealed subs. Your room is pretty small so if you can work the guy down to a more comfortable price for you, I’d try and get both of them. I saw a guy that used a pair and they were flat to 10hz. Not at 140db however, lol.
FWIW, SVS has an sb2k in the outlet for 649, just for a point of reference. For movies, I’m not convinced a single SB2k will be enough. Maybe the sb3k but that’s gonna be much more expensive.

FWIW, I’m a fan of ported subs, but in the right room, the right sealed ones can be pretty good. Especially if the price is right.
Plan was to use the Bic Pl200 along with the SB 2000. Guessing this would be a bad combination?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Plan was to use the Bic Pl200 along with the SB 2000. Guessing this would be a bad combination?

Not necessarily, but mixing sealed and ported can be tricky. They will have different phase responses, especially around the tuning point of the ported sub(BIC). What happens is those different tunings can cancel each other out and you will have nulls in the FR where there’s basically no bass. Hardly what you are trying to do. So unless you can use an external EQ like a minidsp, along with a measurement mic they will likely be hard to integrate with each other. Maybe you can get the guy down to 700?

R

Rtekkam

Enthusiast
Not necessarily, but mixing sealed and ported can be tricky. They will have different phase responses, especially around the tuning point of the ported sub(BIC). What happens is those different tunings can cancel each other out and you will have nulls in the FR where there’s basically no bass. Hardly what you are trying to do. So unless you can use an external EQ like a minidsp, along with a measurement mic they will likely be hard to integrate with each other. Maybe you can get the guy down to 700?
700 didn't work. What would be a good deal for the pair? Will 800 be too much?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems 800 might be fairer than 900 for 3 plus year old subs that were 1400 new (maybe, did he buy them new or thru the outlet with possible blems?). Altho the warranty I believe is transferable still. It's now discontinued I notice, too, which should be part of the consideration.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis