4 front speakers . Can I?

R

Rtekkam

Enthusiast
Process of putting together a home theater room in my basement. Primarily watch movies.

Picked up a pair of Elac unify ub5 specifically for surrounds. Should have done done reading about this speaker before I bought them.
Based on reading, there are 4 ohm speakers and are excellent speakers as fronts. Couple of questions.

(1) can I use the elacs as surrounds as was initially intended?

(2) if theses are excellent speakers for the front, can I have 4 speakers firing from the front. To use the speaker to full potential

My equipment as below

Pioneer Elite 84 tsxi (7.1)
Emotiva xpa 5 gen 1
L/ R deftech towers BP 7004
Deftech CLR 2002
Bic Acoustech PL 200 subwoofer
Deftech supercube 2000
Rear surrounds ( behind) Klipsch r 41 m book shelf speakers.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Process of putting together a home theater room in my basement. Primarily watch movies.

Picked up a pair of Elac unify ub5 specifically for surrounds. Should have done done reading about this speaker before I bought them.
Based on reading, there are 4 ohm speakers and are excellent speakers as fronts. Couple of questions.

(1) can I use the elacs as surrounds as was initially intended?

(2) if theses are excellent speakers for the front, can I have 4 speakers firing from the front. To use the speaker to full potential

My equipment as below

Pioneer Elite 84 tsxi (7.1)
Emotiva xpa 5 gen 1
L/ R deftech towers BP 7004
Deftech CLR 2002
Bic Acoustech PL 200 subwoofer
Deftech supercube 2000
Rear surrounds ( behind) Klipsch r 41 m book shelf speakers.

Thanks in advance

You can do what you want, but 4 front speakers will sound like total crap.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just because you can do a thing does not mean one should.
The Emotiva is stable for 4ohms.
Use them as you intended.
If you find they sound better than the DTs, sell the DTs and get more ELACs for Center and Surround... and upgrade all around! :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just because you can do a thing does not mean one should.
The Emotiva is stable for 4ohms.
Use them as you intended.
If you find they sound better than the DTs, sell the DTs and get more ELACs for Center and Surround... and upgrade all around! :)
I would definitely go this route. Get more elacs and sell the bic, and supercube to finance new subwoofage.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I would definitely go this route. Get more elacs and sell the bic, and supercube to finance new subwoofage.
Supercube is like for a small room not bad but not enough spl for theater level effects .
Vic , bic is like a knock off generic klipsch horn like brand right. ??

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Supercube is like for a small room not bad but not enough spl for theater level effects .
Vic , bic is like a knock off generic klipsch horn like brand right. ??

Tesla spoken to them
Vic isn’t what I’d call a knock off. They make more affordable products. In fact I’d probably use the bic before I’d use the super cube. The problem is neither one is capable of high spl, and while the bic probably goes deeper, it also needs a small room.

R

Rtekkam

Enthusiast
Vic isn’t what I’d call a knock off. They make more affordable products. In fact I’d probably use the bic before I’d use the super cube. The problem is neither one is capable of high spl, and while the bic probably goes deeper, it also needs a small room.
Theatre room is appx 14' x 16'. I just bought the supercube from best buy. Still in box and not opened. Based on what is being discussed, looks like I'd be better off getting a different sub? Tight on budget and thought the supercube would be sufficient. I'm stuck with Bic though.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
If you can still return the supercube than do so. It's not a good sub for movies. I had the same model in my HT before and couldn't wait to upgrade it, no output below 30 hz.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Can’t elaborate atm but you might be better with 2 bics. What is budget?

R

Rtekkam

Enthusiast
If you can still return the supercube than do so. It's not a good sub for movies. I had the same model in my HT before and couldn't wait to upgrade it, no output below 30 hz.
Thanks. I picked it up last week. So I should be good to return it to bestbuy. Thanks for the feedback. I could push budget to 500 max. I don't mind a used sun which is well accepted.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Does your best buy have SVS PB 1000s? They're $500 and better than the DefTec subs....

I wouldn't use two pairs of L/R speakers up front, nor is your receiver going to accommodate that well. If your avr had front heights or wide modes for surround, then having 4 speakers up front would be doable.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Does your best buy have SVS PB 1000s? They're $500 and better than the DefTec subs....

I wouldn't use two pairs of L/R speakers up front, nor is your receiver going to accommodate that well. If your avr had front heights or wide modes for surround, then having 4 speakers up front would be doable.
Yeah, I’d like to revisit this a little bit. I think I glossed over the original intent of the 4 speakers. Wonder if that was to use two sets of mains? Or have the surrounds actually placed up front? Hmmmm

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I’d like to revisit this a little bit. I think I glossed over the original intent of the 4 speakers. Wonder if that was to use two sets of mains? Or have the surrounds actually placed up front? Hmmmm
Well I wouldn't put surrounds up front either. No point in doing so afaic. Doubling them up on the L/R speaker terminals would be something to avoid, too....

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’ve never seen a Best Buy with svs or any brands not mainstream .
I’ve never seen a set up with four front speakers except pro logic z with front heights or wides.

Tesla spoken to them

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Best Buy does sell SVS. Perhaps not all models at all stores....https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&iht=y&keys=keys&ks=960&list=n&sc=Global&st=svs%20subwoofers&type=page&usc=All%20Categories

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well I wouldn't put surrounds up front either. No point in doing so afaic. Doubling them up on the L/R speaker terminals would be something to avoid, too....
Exactly. Not sure what he’s looking for. I couldn’t help noticing the subs and went straight for them lol. So back to the original question.....lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Exactly. Not sure what he’s looking for. I couldn’t help noticing the subs and went straight for them lol. So back to the original question.....lol
Quite a few people with 2ch systems seem to like to do this doubling of speakers (it's even a thing some speaker companies like Advent used to even advertise as something to do), sort of a poor quadraphonic type thing. I figured it was along those lines....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve never seen a Best Buy with svs or any brands not mainstream .
I’ve never seen a set up with four front speakers except pro logic z with front heights or wides.

Tesla spoken to them
Yep. As HD linked, they do carry SVS. Iirc, they also picked up emotiva which also used to be ID only.
Yeah, I’ve only seen 4 up front when someone didn’t know better, or PLIIZ. Or too lazy to mount surrounds in back.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis